Fruit Tree Pruning Recommendation

Home Forums Open forum Fruit Tree Pruning Recommendation

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  boatgeek 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Beth
    Participant

I am days away from my due date, so there is no way I’m getting up in a ladder to prune our backyard fruit trees this year. My googling brings up lots of fruit tree pruning classes in the area, but not much on which tree service companies are skilled at pruning fruit trees. Anyone have good people to recommend?

boatgeek
    Participant

Many tree service companies aren’t very good at pruning. Seattle Tilth can give you some recommendations for arborists who know their stuff around fruit trees. (Seattletilth.org)

Christina
    Participant

I highly recommend Kathy Holzer’s firm (http://outonalimbseattle.com/). She and her team pruned our enormous, beautiful old cherry and pear trees a couple of years ago and did a fantastic job. We had obtained quotes from a variety of ISA-certified arborists and her rates were comparable. After interviewing them all we decided felt most confident in Kathy’s experience, and we were very happy with every aspect of our interaction with her – from the initial callback, visit for the bid, pruning, cleanup, and final invoice. We’ll never use anyone else.

Mrs. Whatsit
    Participant

Cass Turnbull is the queen.
    http://www.plantamnesty.org/about/about.aspx

gracie
    Participant

Regarding pruning, I’m never quite sure when is the best time for:
    1. fruit tree
    2. LARGE Rhodies
    3. Lilacs
    4. Miscellaneious flowering shrubs.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

my mother has been using Steve Lambert’s company for years:

lamberttreecare.com

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

I just saw this and thought someone might be interested

Prune-A-Thon
    & Plan-A-Thon!
    Presented at Sky Nursery by Plant Amnesty
    Saturday, March 8th
    9 am – 4 pm

Join us for a full day of free
    pruning demonstrations, slideshows, seminars, and fun!

boatgeek
    Participant

Gracie, Ciscoe Morris says that the best time to prune is when you have your pruners with you. In other words, better to prune at kind of the right time than not at all.

The PlantAmnesty event will have better info, but in general, you can go by the following:

Fruit trees: while the tree is dormant in the winter (November-ish until buds start swelling in the spring). Very vigorous trees (like Asian plums) can take another pruning in the summer after the fruit harvest.

Lilacs: I’d go right after flowering to minimize the number of flowers you lose. It’s hard to hurt lilacs, so don’t worry too much about timing.

Rhodies and other flowering shrubs: Defer to a Sunset book or another expert.

Curtis
    Participant

Sky Nursery will be offering pruning demonstrations from 9-4 on Saturday, and it looks like they’re free!
    Also looks like they will do 15 minute design consults too. Bring your pictures.
    Check out their website.

boatgeek
    Participant

Also, you can get pruning advice any time of year from the Miller Library Plant Answer Line (http://depts.washington.edu/hortlib/collections/pal.shtml), plus answers to any other garden questions you might have.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.