How's it going so far beta testers?

Home Forums Open forum How's it going so far beta testers?

This topic contains 118 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  SmartsyArtsy 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 101 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Author

Crownhiller
    Participant

A few of us have already noticed this – but apparently the ability to search the old forum has gone away. I tried it the other day using google in search of a recommendation post. While I could find a particular topic, and the first post on that topic, all of the reply posts were gone or at least no longer show up. Kinda a bummer for some things, but I suppose inevitable in this situation? Just wondering.

Shelley

Thanks GS,

I never even noticed the moderator thing. I seem to be able to post and reply OK now. I was able to reply OK in the recommendations group, made a post to the open forum, and replied. I created a new user profile in Firefox, so that may have been a part of the solution or maybe not. Not the most tech savvy person.

Thanks for looking into it.

VeganBiker
    Participant

GS – I just attempted to post a message with 4 links in it and I kept getting an error message saying that I had possibly posted the same message before? I edited my post changing a .nl address to a similar .com one and took off the http:// on all 4 links and then it worked! Interestingly the system added the http:// back to the links?
    Just thought you might want to know.
    The post is this one:

How many allowed on a bike?

Geeky Swedes
    Keymaster

@crownhiller Right, so the new search box in the forum doesn’t search the old forum. But use the search box on the home page and you should find what you need (it uses Google and the old forum is still indexed and live).

@veganbiker Yep, it’s a spam catcher thing. You can only post one link at a time, otherwise the system thinks you’re spamming.

Geeky Swedes
    Keymaster

After several requests, I’ve changed the main forum page to include the most recent topics, and then I changed the “forum” link in the navigation to go there (instead of going directly to “open forum.”)

That means you can now see the most recent posts across open forum, classifieds and groups all on that main forum page (which is myballard.com/forums).

A minor bug: the page navigation on the main forum page — if you want to see more recent topics — doesn’t work, thanks to a longstanding bug in BBpress. Just navigate to the forum you want, then you navigate to previous pages.

Crownhiller
    Participant

@Geeky Swedes – actually that search does work either – I was essentially doing the same thing via as your “custom search” by wa of google’s advance search format of “keyword” AND site:.myballard.com/forum and while yes, the topic and first post were indeed indexed, none of the rest of the replies are accessible – tried it a couple of different ways and same glitch happened each time. Google does show a “snippet” of the reply texts but when you click on link – only the very first post is there.

Also – really wish groups were still here on same page with Forums – was just getting used to looking for things there ;( Maybe reader recc’s could go back to being a “forum” rather than group?

thx again

Geeky Swedes
    Keymaster

@crownhiller Well, that’s odd. Will investigate further. Re: groups on main forum page, I put them back. Not pretty, but if they’re helpful, we’ll keep ’em there.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Hi GS – it appears that I can link an image to a post!

How many allowed on a bike?

Is this a new feature or a soon to be removed option?
    I am sure you will get some odd images on here very soon.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Thanks GS, the cross references on the directories are very helpful. This might get us using groups. Can the groups be listed inline, instead of as a run on?

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Now where are the cross references on the menus?

jburgh
    Participant

GS – I’m going to mention this agin, as there now has been a bit of a problem. The groups, which may be a good idea for some, is not working for lost/found pets. People who come to post here are posting their lost/found in the main forum, and groups. Groups is a bit convoluted to visit and wade through.

We really need a separate forum for “Lost/Found Pets”. One on the same level as Classifieds or Open Forum, where threads can be started. That way people effortlessly know exactly where to go and can do so quickly. You are in a good position to meet this community need because we have lots of members here who actively search for the lost animals posted. And there are more than a few members who work or volunteer at the SAC.

I am not the only member who sees this need. Also, I speak with years of experience as a moderator at one of the largest worldwide fashion forums. So I do know how forums want to be used, are used, or not used by members. Thank you.

Ernie
    Participant

Jburgh +1

The groups tend to focus a conversation among members with similar interests, while lost/found pets should be intuitive and visible to the wider forum audience. You shouldn’t have to be familiar with navigating the various forum pages if you’re a first time poster trying to find a missing pet.

Also, on an unrelated note, is it possible to set it up so that the user is directed back to the previous page after logging in? It’s kind of clunky to have to navigate back from the front page after logging in to post a comment. It would also be nice if the message telling you to log in to post contained a link to the login page.

Thanks.

Geeky Swedes
    Keymaster

@jburgh @ernie That makes sense. What do you think @smartsyartsy (who created those groups)?

Rudy
    Participant

It looks like Smartsy is down with making the Lost/Found pets more visible:

Forum and group instructions and rules

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Thanks Rudy.

I posted in your stuck thread because there didn’t seem to be any response here to my post here on 2/28! I would still like to go back to cross references

saffythepook
    Participant

Any luck figuring out how to get animated GIF avatars working?

great idea
    Participant

yes, beyond not seeing saffy’s penguins slap each other about, the forum seems to be lacking somehow.

there are some wonderful new features, like embedding a video or picture rather than just providing a link.

the lost pet situation seems to be resolved somewhat, but when I click back from the open forum, I find myself staring at the classifieds and groups again.

granted I just posted like 7 comments in a row and used to love seeing my username draped across the forum, but something still seems amiss in the ui department.

Ernie
    Participant

Hey Geeky Swedes, I thought that you were going to require registration on the homepage, just like the forums. Allowing instant and anonymous posting is just going to lead to the tiresome, childish, shitshow that it was before going to Facebook.

All you have to do is reqire registration and it will weed out 90% of the drive-by a-holes.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

It is not going well for several, if not many of us. For some reason I can log in here at home but not at my studio. I have just heard from 2 others who cannot log in. Apparently your spam filter thinks we are spammers. HELP!

I guess this is why it has been so quiet!!

Viewing 19 posts - 101 through 119 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.