I'm back………

Home Forums Open forum I'm back………

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  phoo 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Oly
    Participant

I’d love to see this forum return to be meaningful and informative. What say you….

Anonymous

I say aye!

oldguybc
    Participant

Oly, is that your picture? Looks like a guy I went to high school with in Ballard…

Nora Bell
    Participant

Yup! Would love to see a bit of a spark back in the forums.

phoo
    Participant

If everyone started a couple threads with something to discuss in them, it might help.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Oly – yup! I’m with you there.

VeganBiker
    Participant

OldGuy – If Oly doesn’t reply, check out this page:
    http://memegenerator.net/Almost-Politically-Correct-Redneck

Nora Bell
    Participant

Good point, Phoo. The more gets posted the more there is to reply to.

PlantLover
    Participant

What we need is some controversy. Mars Hill seems to have simmered itself down. We don’t seem to have any stolen pets. The homeless must be behaving or at least staying out of sight in all the rain. Is anyone throwing a basketball around in the Ballard QFC, or even the Hillbilly QFC?

Anyone have some controversy to throw in for discussion?

VeganBiker
    Participant

PlantLover – I can always stir things up by talking about not eating meat!

phoo
    Participant

VB: Guns and meat, good idea or GREAT idea? ;D

PlantLover
    Participant

Oh yeah, let’s go with that! I don’t eat meat either, but will confess to being a flexitarian when traveling outside the country. In Morocco even vegetable couscous has at least chicken stock in it and maybe chicken. And 10 days of rice and beans twice a day in Cuba just won’t work. When I go there I alternate between fish and chicken as the meat and…rice and beans. The food there is pretty monotonous, but given what they went through in the 90s I don’t have room to complain. Don’t think Paseo’s is typical of actual Cuban cuisine today. Anyway, when traveling in such places I stick to the non-mammal options. At home I mostly cook my own food and it is meatless. But I do eat dairy – I just like cheese too much.

phoo
    Participant

For many years I was vegetarian, but my body just doesn’t do well with it, no matter how much protein I get. But before I left on a trip to Germany, I ate some bacon to see if I’d been away from meat long enough to get sick. I figured if fatty bacon didn’t make me ill, I’d be good to go. I wasn’t at all sure I could find vegetarian option in Germany and most of the time that was true.

Now that I need to avoid carbs, there’s no way I could be vegetarian. Besides, I learned a long time ago that the more meat I eat, the better I feel. In large part that was probably because the more meat I ate, the fewer carbs I ate.

great idea
    Participant

meat? carbs?

we need to discuss legumes here. they are seemingly more difficult to prepare, but trust me, the protein and fiber will do you right.

although the turf and turf is good.

phoo
    Participant

I don’t react well to beans. They definitely have fiber, but it seems to be outweighed by the carbs. Lentils were like that too, but to the extreme. I don’t know why lentils make me feel sick, but they do. I don’t think they are all that difficult to prepare.

Tofu has a lot of protein too, but ultimately it’s carbs. I’m pretty much a meat person now.

VeganBiker
    Participant

phoo – I just don’t like eating dead animal flesh. I really like to see them alive and breathing, and as I have not eaten any animals for over 20 years I see no reason to start eating dead animals ever in my life. And I do not use any animal parts for anything that I need in my life.

phoo
    Participant

VB: I wasn’t suggesting that people should eat meat. I have found that this diet works for me. Doubtless other people have other diets that work best for them. I don’t mind other people’s diets at all. Vegetarianism just didn’t work for me, but it’s still very valid and a fine diet.

VeganBiker
    Participant

phoo – I understand. For me it is more complicated because I cannot condone the wanton, unconscious slaughter of animals that happens every day in the meat industry however IF the time came when if all I could eat to survive was a living animal then I am capable of killing and preparing an animal to be eaten, I have done that because I grew up in a rural area and shot and fished for animals and ate them.

great idea
    Participant

I still eat meat (trust me).

however I have found that lentils stick better to my stomach and give me more energy than any other singular food out there.

phoo
    Participant

Yes, I felt that same way as well for years. It’s not that I’ve changed my mind about those reasons, I just need to keep myself as healthy as possible. For me that means large amounts of protein and little to no carbs. Pretty much I respect people’s diets and their reasons behind it. The only potential conflict comes when someone tries to get me to change my diet. And I’ve never tried to get someone else to change their diet. I should mention that no one has tried to change my diet except for my parents.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.