Is anyone missing a bunny?

Home Forums Open forum Is anyone missing a bunny?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 33 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jules 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Christina
    Participant

A small brown bunny was spotted last night around 32nd and 62nd – it disappeared into the darkness after being glimpsed, so there was no chance of catching it. I don’t think it will last long on its own around here.

Miss Julie
    Participant

I will go look for it this afternoon and try to lure it with some greens. Poor thing. I currently have SIX foster bunnies (oy!) but I have a bunny carrier and if I can nab it will take it into the shelter.

Miss Julie
    Participant

We looked for about 30 minutes with no luck. There are two new builds with loads of hay around which should attract a domestic bun. If anyone spots the bunny again pm me and I will go down with my carrier and treats and see what I can do.

Jules
    Participant

Miss Julie, do you have a live/humane trap? If not, I can get one.

Miss Julie
    Participant

I do not have a trap, just a special carrier.

Jules
    Participant

I can borrow one, so will do so, hopefully tomorrow. I hope you catch the bunny! So cold outside, and there are racoons everywhere.

Jules
    Participant

What side of 32nd? Can you be a little more specific? I don’t think someone LOST this bunny…every day people “free” their pet rabbits in parks. It’s like setting your poodle “free” in the North Cascades to fend for themselves. Monsters.

Life is amazing
    Participant

be free… yeah im thinking of letting my rescue bird go. His wings dont work but im sure he’ll make it out there.

I had a bunny hop right up to me in a park. He was recently beat up by the feral bunnies that had established territories. I took him to the shelter. Poor guy. People are idiots.

Good on you guys for helping this one. I have bird nets if you want to borrow them.

Jules
    Participant

I’ve walked by their twice today; no bun on either side of the street. HOWEVER this bunny could be almost anywhere in a 10 block radius. It would be helpful to know what side of the street, a closer location. WAs it at the new house being built???/

I may have to borrow your bird nets. I caught a bunny over the holidays that had been dumped in a friend’s parent’s yard in Edmonds. I used a humane trap. However, this little bun was quite tame and actually went up to their door every morning to be fed.

Any more from the original poster?

Miss Julie
    Participant

Sadly many of the bunnies at the shelter are strays that have been dumped. The other side of the coin are buns that have been neglected and have issues like severe urine scald (from sitting in dirty bedding day after day) or are not socialized. I implore people to surrender their animals sooner than later if you cannot care for them.

Jules I suspect that because it is so rainy the bun will not be out and about. PM me and we can coordinate efforts to find the poor thing.

Christina
    Participant

The bunny was on 62nd, about six houses west of 32nd. I walked around the neighborhood a couple of times on Saturday (same day Miss Julie was walking around and noted the two new builds on the other side of 32nd) but no sign of the bunny. There are some pretty densely planted gardens around here (with plenty of overwintering kale). I don’t know anything about bunnies- do they tend to travel, or stay in one area?

Christina
    Participant

I mean EAST of 32nd….heading AWAY from the water.

Jules
    Participant

Thanks! Wild rabbits have a daily range the size of several football fields, ergo why it is inhumane to keep rabbits in hutches! IF there is plenty of kale around, Thumper may be pigging out on it. The rabbit I captured in December stayed within 10 feet of the house. (some monster dumped a gorgeous purebred bunny on THAKSGIVING in their yard. We figured by the age it was born around Easter last year. ) The average life span of a domestic rabbit dumped outside is TWO DAYS.

I will go look again.

Fife is Amazing, please PM me about the nets. Setting up a live trap in a stranger’s yard may not fly.

Jules
    Participant

I mean “Life is Amazing.” the poster. Fife is not that amazing, as anyone who has been there can tell you.

Life is amazing
    Participant

Ha!
    Gotta love auto correct.

great idea
    Participant

I don’t know.

even two days in the wild sounds better than a few months in some little cage.

are you guys sure this rabbit wants to be caught?

Cate
    Participant

“even two days in the wild sounds better than a few months in some little cage.” So are you moving out of your home and into the backcrountry of Mt. Rainier? (House bunnies usually have a letterbox and free run of the house.)

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

“House bunnies” Love that. Made me think of House boys, who sadly, never lived in my house.

Life is amazing
    Participant

Please don’t perpetuate the idea that freeing a pet is a good idea.
    A pet bunny is no different than “freeing” a dog. They are not wild animals.
    Having them in a cage is a whole other issue. That is someone that doesnt know how to care for them

Jules
    Participant

“Freeing” your rabbit means she is likely to die of starvation, disease or predators in a guresome way. Surrendering your rabbit to a shelter means that she will get vet care, spay, a safe, warm place to sleep and plenty of food, and in 99 percent of all cases, be adopted into a loving family.

Jules
    Participant

Setting your rabbit loose doesn’t make it “Free.” It makes it “Food.”

Miss Julie
    Participant

People who understand domestic bunnies as pets know they need room and daily exercise/interaction. They not hamsters. I am typing this as a baby bunny nuzzles with me on the couch. People who adopt shelter rabbits tend to understand. A domestic rabbit that is dumped is not likely to survive long.

great idea
    Participant

I am not talking quantity of life. I am talking quality.

have any of you ever been a bunny in another life? I didn’t think so.

how do you know it is not traumatized by some women chasing after it with nets and traps?

do they really all get adopted? why does miss Julie have six foster rabbits then?
    do all of them actually have free run of the house?

look, I am not advocating releasing a pet. however, if it is already released, my opinion is you’re not doing it any great favors. if it makes you feel better, have at it.

Jules
    Participant

Miss Julie’s rabbit had babies! My rabbit is loving, affectionate, playful and curious, and a lot more fun than my cat was! Yes, she has free rein of the place, uses a litterbox (massively less disgusting than a cat box by orders of magnitude) and comes when called. (unlike the cat.)

Don’t get pets if you are unwilling to take care of them. Rabbits are NOT the best pets for children; they typically hate being picked up, are quite fragile, and unlike gerbils, are a 6-10 year committment.

This Easter, please don’t buy your child a rabbit….unless it is either chocolate or a stuffed toy.

Jules
    Participant

For reference, please visit the website Special Bunny
    http://www.specialbunny.org/

I assure you, my rabbit is possibly the most spoiled bunny in North Seattle.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.