My Crow Family

Home Forums Open forum My Crow Family

Tagged: 

This topic contains 37 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  oldguybc 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author

pennygirl
    Participant

Most people don’t know this, but I have been looking after a Crow family for 3 years. After the dogs being dive bombed constantly, I decided that it was better to make friends with them rather than hate them.

We started with 2 crows, Basil and Sybil. The next year, Manuel was born. This year, we welcomed Polly and Terry.

Polly is having difficulty flying. She appears to be very clumsy, and never makes her actual target, but she is by far the friendliest of the Crows. Today, she flew down to try and sit next to me outside, missed the table, and landed on the patio. She then proceeded to walk through the back door and make her way upstairs. On the way, she met Colly the Westie. One lost tail feather later, and she is fine. She returned about 20 minutes later, and is currently perched on the fence, waiting for a treat. This is a pic of Polly after we rescued her from the kitchen.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/p526x296/10418290_751770774866485_7777578377812771050_n.jpg

lakreitz
    Participant

Wow, you really are looking after a crow family – active tending, not passive looking! That is so cool.

I heard today that Seattle has one of the largest urban crow populations in the country. Certainly seems true just looking around.

pennygirl
    Participant

Lakereitz – they are so smart. You can literally persuade one to stop being mean in a few days. I was terrified of the two parent crows 3 years ago. Now they are nearly hand fed, and land on the stoop next to our window every morning to wake us up.

oldguybc
    Participant

Brother has a family in his back yard in Edmonds, feeds them every morning, they are smarter than all hell! They hear the window unlatching and are immediately perched right outside and ready. I hope to return to this world as a crow, preferably near a golf course…

pennygirl
    Participant

Exactly OldGuy! They hear us waking up and are there. I love the Crow family.

Rudy
    Participant

So, any tricks to get crows to stop pooping on my car? Can you talk to your crows to spread the word to other crows to knock that off?

gordy
    Participant

Pennygirl, that is wonderful! There is a crow that likes to hang out by our backyard and if bread is tossed to the ground, he/she alerts her comrades about the free lunch.

pennygirl
    Participant

Rudy, I’ll get to my crows to have a word with your crows!

Anonymous

That is very cool. They are fascinating, so intelligent. How did you make friends with them?

great idea
    Participant

“How did you make friends with them?”

oh, it was quite natural when they found they had so much in common, i.e. hen-pecking, squawking loudly in the morning, and gathering small pieces of string.

when they explained how grandpa crow used to fly over the stadium during West Ham matches, it was clear this friendship was meant to be.

(actually she just fed them some food… shhh!)

pennygirl
    Participant

Compass Rose, I started talking to them instead of trying to shoo them away. We didn’t feed them at first – that came after they stopped the divebombing.

jburgh
    Participant

PG – do you take one out for a ride in the car? A few days ago, Mr. jburgh saw a woman sitting in a car up at the hillbilly QFC with a crow. The crow was perched on a box in the passenger seat. :>)

We have a small core group of crows that visit us daily. One in particular has come back for at least 3 years. The closest that he/she gets is about 3 feet away.

pennygirl
    Participant

That isn’t me jburgh! I don’t drive a car, but maybe I’ll see if one of them wants to accompany me on a walk one day :-)

Darth Satan
    Participant

There is a nest of crows just outside a second story window at Olympic Health Club on the Vernon side of the building. You can almost reach out and touch them from the exercise bikes. They have two hatchlings. They are growing fast. Last week, their young looked like large bald chicks, today they almost look like full on birds. Still they are crows and should die. I’m sorry some eagle did not come and eat their young when they had the chance.

Anonymous

Penny, they were divebombing your dogs? Why would they do that?

I remember reading a story a while back that said crows remember people’s faces and have been known to go after people they don’t like. They can apparently also count to around five. Fascinating creatures.

pennygirl
    Participant

Compass Rose, they were nesting here for the first time and protecting their babies. Once they realized that we weren’t a threat they stopped.

It’s true that they go after people who have been mean to them in the past. They are definitely better as friends rather than enemies.

Anonymous

Ah, that makes sense.

Christina
    Participant

How can you tell the family members apart? Crows all look alike to me.

pennygirl
    Participant

Sad update. I found Basil and Sybil dead today. I have seen one of the babies, but the other one is missing.

great idea
    Participant

that is very sad penny. do you know how they died?

those were middle-aged crows then, right? (3 years old for a bird that typically lives 7-8 years).

if there was no sign of trauma, I’d wonder about west nile virus.

pennygirl
    Participant

They had cat food in their mouths. They were perfectly ok a couple of hours earlier. There was no sign of trauma. Animal control thought it was no big deal and told us to double bag them and toss them in the garbage. Heartbreaking. One of the youngsters is also missing.

I think someone in the neighborhood put down a tasty poisoned treat.

Curtis
    Participant

Man I hate that. :(
    I always worry about my neighbors use of rat poison. Not a happy story should someone’s dog or cat, or other wildlife get ahold of a poisoned carcass.

Cate
    Participant

pennygirl – I am so sorry. This just makes me so angry.

lakreitz
    Participant

What sad news. I am so sorry pennygirl.

Shelley

Oh no pennygirl. As much as I despise the noise of the ones who congregate in my butternut tree some mornings at 4, it takes a very sick person to do something like this. If I believed in an afterlife, the person who did this deserves a special seat in the hot place.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.