neighborhood blight

Home Forums Open forum neighborhood blight

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  VeganBiker 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

great idea
    Participant

I go up and down 28th Ave NW on my bike quite often.

for many months now, I’ve seen a white box truck with some ugly graffiti on it.

business owners are required to clean-up tags in a timely manner– do construction trucks get a pardon?

does anyone else care about this? it does not seem temporary.

VeganBiker
    Participant

gi – I also go up and down 28th quite often and live near Adams, where is this truck located?

great idea
    Participant

VB, if you are near Adams (as opposed to Addams ;), then I’m surprised you haven’t seen it.

it’s usually just South of 65th. I realize there has been a lot of construction in this area, but it does not seem to belong to any of the workers I’ve seen going in and out of these new buildings.

in fact, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anyone even access the back of the truck.
    it’s a big, blank canvas so I’m sure the local taggers love to see it parked ad infinitum.

Cate
    Participant

I had a very ugly truck park right in front of my house for four months – he would move it for one or two hours every three days. When I complained about it, several times to different departments, the city was quite fine with him doing that based on the number of axles he had – two it was legal, three or more verboten.

VeganBiker
    Participant

gi – I have looked for that truck on 28th from 65th down to Market St. and it appears to have gone.

great idea
    Participant

I may still walk my dog nearby tonight. perhaps it is gone at night!

I see it almost every day though, either on the East or West side of 28th, usually between 63rd and 64th.

great idea
    Participant

I have literally seen this truck parked in the same spot since I first started this thread several weeks ago.

it looks like it has a few more tags even.

I just can’t believe someone wants this eyesore in front of their house, and others fail to see it.

this bothers me more than any package thefts or whatever else it is people worry about around here.

VeganBiker
    Participant

gi – it must move because twice in the last moth I walked from Market up to 65th and could not find that truck!

JM98107
    Participant

I agree, that tagging stuff is annoying and I guess that’s why the idiot squad does it. Visual litter that has no value or message.

feeltheburn
    Participant

Report it as an abandoned vehicle (that is, a vehicle parked in the same spot for more than 3 days).

great idea
    Participant

thanks for the suggestion ftb.

I don’t know if I would report an abandoned car if it was not on my block.

I guess that was more my point– that the houses this heavily tagged truck is parked in front of, don’t seem to mind.

also, that the graffiti police don’t seem to care, when I’ve heard stories of small business owners going through extraordinary efforts to clean their property when instructed to do so.

great idea
    Participant

sniff

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Maybe the truck is parked in front if the house of the person that owns it. Maybe the “graffiti” is their paint job. Maybe it’s a band’s gear truck, and they only drive it at night and park it in the same spot.

great idea
    Participant

some of those things may be true Salmon Bay.
    the truck owner could have a band and transport their gear in it.

however, I actually believe the house that this is normally parked in front of is currently vacant and it’s there both day and night.
    also, the paint job sucks. it’s clearly been tagged by kids.

although your comment reminds me of a situation a few years ago where the owners of the Michoacan restaurant (one of my favorite family Mexican joints) were told by the city to remove some spray painted smiley faces from the front of their building because it looked like graffiti.
    that was dubious, this is not.

feeltheburn
    Participant

Turn it in as an abandoned car. I do it all the time for cars all over Ballard; it my neighborhood after all.

JM98107
    Participant

I can’t figure out why we have vehicles packed with trash that appear to be abandoned cars. There’s no room for a driver because there’s so much junk in the cars. Weird!

VeganBiker
    Participant

gi – I think I finally have seen “the” truck! White truck with brownish ugly “tags” on it. It was on 28th between 63rd and 64th today around 3:30 PM. It does move because it was not there when I walked that route last week in the AM, so I wonder if it belongs to someone who is working at the construction site on the corner of 64th? I know a contractor that frequently parks his ugly pickup near sites that he is working on and he leaves it there for weeks.

JM98107
    Participant

Has anyone joined the next door web site? Is it more informative? Looks like the regulars from here have evacuated My Ballard.

VeganBiker
    Participant

gi – just checked for that truck and today at 11:30 AM it was not there, so it does get regularly moved. That shows that it is in use by someone for something and I guess the fact that they have made no attempt to clean up the tagging shows that they don’t care what the truck looks like.

VeganBiker
    Participant

JM98107 – I joined last year. It appears to be more informative, many of the posts lately seem to be from Whittier Heights! There are a lot of people registered from my neighborhood (Ballard Community Center area) but not a lot of people posting. It is not quite as easy to have a chit chat type of dialogue as we can on this forum. And you are right, most of the “regulars” have “evacuated” this forum! It was fun while it lasted.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.