OH NO say it ain't so Paseo is closed!

Home Forums Open forum OH NO say it ain't so Paseo is closed!

This topic contains 48 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  phoo 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author

MayorOfBallard
    Participant

This just in from the Seattle Times All You Can Eat Blog…

With labor suit pending, Paseo’s mystery closure hard for fans to stomach

Article here below…

Paseo, home of some of Seattle’s best and most beloved sandwiches, has abruptly closed its doors.
    An employee at the Fremont location of the cheap eats favorite said he came to work Tuesday “expecting to make 5 million sandwiches” as usual, and was told by the owner that both the Fremont and Ballard branches were shutting down.
    “We know he didn’t want this to happen,” said another longtime staffer, who declined to give his name because the owners have generally been media-shy over the years.
    They had no idea what prompted the move — the cash-only businesses are notoriously popular, with daily lines out the door for specialties like the grilled pork or Caribbean roast. “He said — and I believe him — he found out he had to close on Monday… he said he was sorry and wished he could find a way to keep going.”

JM98107
    Participant

I saw that on one of the TV web sites too.

SEdholm
    Participant

I have a feeling that is a good thing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7JWyDpBohCBQmMwLThDOVZCVEE/preview

Seen twitter’s reaction go from “nooooooooooooooooo” to “f them” in a matter of no time.

MayorOfBallard
    Participant

Well I figured it would be related to taxes somehow…interesting find on that court case, was it ruled on yet? The above seems to just be the lawsuit filed in September.

pennygirl
    Participant

Edit

MayorOfBallard
    Participant

PG – tease!

Dave
    Participant

Try Geo’s across the street from Paseos for a real (and awesome) Cuban sandwich. You won’t be disappointed.

pennygirl
    Participant

I know it’s not a laughing matter, but this is sort of funny…

http://www.kitsapreport.com/paseos-reclusive-owner-revealed-as-raul-castro-irs-seizure/

(And if that lawsuit is 100% truthful, then I’m regretting buying anything from there)

phoo
    Participant

“Error establishing a database connection”

I think the traffic from pennygirl’s post has slashdotted the small news site. ;)

MayorOfBallard
    Participant

Dave – Good to know but i’d be surprised if it’s anywhere near as good as Paseo! I’m hopeful though.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Genius

I just saw on the comment section on the home page that the owner of Thunderbird is looking to hire a cook from Paseos.

When I saw the story break on Facebook I had a feeling it would breath life into the forum

PlantLover
    Participant

They had way better food than anything I actually ate in Cuba.

They had to be profitable. What a shame that they treated their employees that way. Actually, I think Raul would have treated them better! He has brought some welcome innovation to Cuba – they can actually own cars and homes now. Fidel, though, maybe.

MayorOfBallard
    Participant

More speculation but if you were sued and lost (from the above link) you would think with a thriving business you could figure out how to keep the doors open! Or maybe there is just more to the story than that. Either way I’m not surprised enterprising people/restaurant/groups would want to hire the owner.

MayorOfBallard
    Participant

PlantLover – Where they found guilty?

pennygirl
    Participant

It could be the fact that they are a cash only business. That might have had the IRS sniffing around with a huge (unfounded) bill.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Maybe they where using it for money laundering like in “Scarface”;)

Shelley

FWIW the Kitsap Report site appears to be a satirical news site and is down for the moment. However their Facebook page is up…. Check out some of the other titles.

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapreport

The full title of the article linked by pennygirl appears to be: “Paseo’s Reclusive Owner Revealed to be Raul Castro”

SunsetHillMarauder
    Participant

The new talk online now that Paseo’s is closed seems to be that Bongo’s Cuban Cafe (6501 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103) is comparable to Paseo. Apparently they even make their own bread for their sandwiches. Haven’t ever tried the place, but it has good enough yelp reviews that I likely will be giving it a shot in the near future with an open mind.

pennygirl
    Participant

Yes Shelley – it was a joke.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Hopefully Bongo’s Cuban Cafe isn’t cash only. That isn’t the great part of town for the street people to know you are carrying.If anyone does check it out let us know what you think.

I wonder if gracie is organizing a vigil tonight:)

gracie
    Participant

BH..good one. Vigil! I had passed Paseo on way home and saw closed and wondered why. Then I heard it on the news.
    if lawsuit true, that’s sad. Always impressed they gave employess pay while closed for a month.
    I haven’t gone there much because two times Carribean bowl tasted different. I was going to try something different. Guess not!
    I had noticed that little place across the street. Maybe I will try that.
    so Buffalo, get your candles, some rum to keep warm for the vigil! Me? I will be hunkered down with Pickles under polar fleece blanket.

MayorOfBallard
    Participant

Well it appears at least the MyBallard team is doing some digging into this per the front page article.

EDIT: The Seattle Times article is also updated with new info!

phoo
    Participant

It’s really good to see something beyond puff pieces on the front page! Awesome.

Something I haven’t seen people mention is that employees were only paid checks for 40 hours per week, but paid in CASH for the many hours they put in beyond that. That’s a whole range of cheating that governments don’t take kindly to. So I’d say it’s definitely the end of the road for Paseo’s.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

sad to see it gone, totally surprised to hear the news today

even more surprised to hear about the lawsuit as I used to know some of the workers and never had a bad word in the past about the way it was run

am curious if the key west location is still open

Cate
    Participant

They had the best tofu in the city; so sorry to not get one last sandwich in. Will reserve judgment on how they treated employees on the “there is always two sides…” theory.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.