OMG – Say It Ain't So

Home Forums Open forum OMG – Say It Ain't So

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Shelley 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Edog
    Participant

Say it ain’t so!

RadioShack Files For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/05/radioshack-bankruptcy_n_6625482.html

Where ever will I find transistors for my drone?

Shelley

About time. Their stores have been dumps for a long time.

A long way from a leather crafts supplier to electronics hobbyist supplier to cell phone hawker. Now that Sprint will probably pick them up, some stores will have “life” for a year or two.

phoo
    Participant

I heard Amazon was considering buying them.

I remember when they had actual electronic parts (I bought some bits there to make my own audio cables) and the staff knew what you were asking for.

I don’t remember where, but I came across a hilarious site detailing one worker’s experience working for them for years. Hilarious to read, since I didn’t have to go through the experience.

Shelley

I still remember buying by mail order leather working supplies from “Tandy” which I think in the ’70s merged with or bought out Radio Shack, and the TRS-80 commonly dubbed “trash 80” was really the “Tandy Radio Shack 80”

From the PuffPo piece edog linked:

Struggling consumer electronics chain RadioShack, founded nearly a century ago, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection late Thursday. It plans to sell 1,500 to 2,400 stores to its largest shareholder, investment firm Standard General, and has filed a motion to proceed with closing the remainder of its 4,000 U.S. stores.

Wireless carrier Sprint Corp. has a deal with Standard General to open mini-shops in as many as 1,750 of the RadioShack stores Standard General is buying. Sprint would take up about one-third of the retail space in each RadioShack store, and Sprint employees would sell mobile devices and Sprint plans.

I have a feeling the RS on 15th is not long for this world.

oldguybc
    Participant

Y’all have a Fry’s up there?

Shelley

In Renton.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

the Fry’s here is practically impossible to find if you haven’t been there before, it’s way out there by Boeing in Renton.

of course I rarely go to RadioShack either for stuff anymore because they don’t really sell much that i want anymore, sad because I too remember going there for video cables and such back in the 80s & 90s

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I quit going there when they kept asking for personal information when I bought batteries with cash.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Wow, I can log in here again! Amazing..

RadioShack fades away! But there is still http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/

I just finished a book “The Innovators:How a Group of Inventors, Hackers, Geniuses and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution” well worth reading. It is amazing how we keep speeding along and things changing very fast. There are so many neat toys out there to play with and thank goodness for open source software and idea. I love this techno age that e are living in.

Mondoman
    Participant

I’m just waiting for you to come up with an electric bike drone, VB!

Shelley

Or maybe this with wings:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.