Pastor Driscoll

Home Forums Open forum Pastor Driscoll

This topic contains 79 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Cate 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • Author

wally
    Participant

I’m betting this won’t stop the bookstore, unfortunately.

Mars Hill pastor says he’s sorry and will not tweet again

Shelley

Interesting turn of phrase in the article you linked:

Driscoll promised to be not only quieter, but calmer, writing: “In my last year or two, I have been deeply convicted by God that my angry-young-prophet days are over, to be replaced by a Bible-teaching spiritual father.”

I like that he has “been deeply convicted by God.” I eagerly await the sentencing hearing. Now, will he keep his word or should that be His word to tweet no more?

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Shelly +1

Elle
    Participant

Edog
    Participant

Thanks for sharing Elle. I knew some of that but don’t think I had seen that link before. It’s wonderful to see it all in a centralized location. I had read that once his books came out, the evangelical community would kick his a*s. He drags them down. He is a fraud.

Pay special attention to this link. http://www.driscollcontroversy.com/?page_id=501 He claims special powers to see people who have been abused. The book reviews were all over that.

While I believe there is a cycle to abuse where people who have been abused, are better able to recognize those who’ve suffered emotional predation and pain better than those who have not known violence, I would not attach any divinity to this “vision”. Moreover I believe Driscoll was abused and struggles with it to this day. I think this best explains someone who “sees” pain, presents a exaggerated sense of masculinity, and dominates others. Its all part of a cycle of violence.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Well said, edoggy. Nice to hear you again

Angeline
    Participant

After that “convicted from God” phrase it’s no wonder he has decided to cut back on the writing.

How old is this “fatherly” spiritual teacher? Hmm. 43. Yeah, that’s getting up there alrighty. Listen up, young’uns.

Bean Dogger
    Participant

This guy is nothing but a run of the mil conman. Anyone associated with that place is a sucker. Good luck.

Shelley

Edog and Elle,

Reading on that web site makes me want to retch. Wow, that is one twisted man.

Corroborating some of the information on that site is the news that a group of 20 former pastors are seeking mediation to get Driscoll to atone. http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2014/03/20/ex-mars-hill-pastors-want-mediation-repentance/

Edog
    Participant

Quieter and calmer yet still feels the world’s men need Man Training in order to be good warriors and ride white horses! Before you dismiss this as an obtuse angle from Edog…

I sh*t you not!

http://marshill.com/ballard

Men’s Training Day

Mars Hill Church | Ballard

Register Here: http://bit.ly/MTD-14

God calls men to himself. Often men don’t know how to respond or even what it means to be a godly man in today’s culture with so many mixed messages. Join us at our Men’s Advance Training day where you will be built up in Christ, encouraged and sent out knowing God’s design and plan for you and how you fit in his battle plan.

Exodus15:3
    The Lord is a man of war; the Lord is his name.

Revelation 19:11
    Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war.

Elle
    Participant

I imagine “Men’s Training Day” will include lots of comedic-machismo-scripture-story-telling.

Similar to this example from http://www.driscollcontroversy.com/?page_id=12:

First of all, in the story of Adam and Eve, Driscoll throws out a suggestive, sensual idea about Eve that I guess Mark thinks will amuse his male audience. He says ‘God creates a perfect woman who is beautiful, sinless, and naked – the same kind of woman every guy ever since has been looking for.’ (Radical Reformission, p28).

Another fun example:
    In a Christianity Today article titled, ‘A Jesus for Real Men’, Driscoll is quoted as saying that ‘real men’ avoid the church because it projects a ‘Richard Simmons, hippie, queer Christ’. However, according to Driscoll, ‘real men’ – like Jesus, Paul, and John the Baptists – are ‘dudes: heterosexual, win-a-fight, punch-you-in-the-nose dudes’. The article states this is the sort of Christ men are drawn to – what Driscoll calls ‘Ultimate Fighting Jesus’. (http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2008/april/27.48.html)

Cate
    Participant

‘Ultimate Fighting Jesus’ – sounds like one of those plastic action figures.

Angeline
    Participant

Archie McPhees, are you listening?

Ernie
    Participant

From the MH website:

Please note that Pastor Mark Driscoll is generally unavilable for interviews through the end of 2014.

Hiding from criticism is not how “heterosexual, win-a-fight, punch-you-in-the-nose dudes” typically roll.

Edog
    Participant

Well they always said the way to beat a bully is to stand up to them. They usually fold pretty fast when confronted.

cdpenne
    Participant

Nobody rages on like Driscoll does unless he harbors secret desires. For now, the primary victims of his domination fantasies are his wife and of course the members of his church. But the time isn’t far off when the primary victim(s) will be the young sons of his parishioners.

Shelley

I thought he put himself out to pasture ’til 2014 drew to a close. Yet, here he is again. Wooden stake, hammer, please.

Driscoll admits to “hurt” at Mars Hill, delivers vague reconciliation pledge

“One of the things that has been complex is the fact that a lot of the people that we are dealing with in this season remain anonymous. So, we don’t know how to reconcile, or how to work things out with people because we’re not entirely sure who they are.”

The statement is puzzling. Driscoll’s most prominent critics are anything but anonymous. In March, 20 former Mars Hill pastors called upon Driscoll to retain an outside mediator and engage in a reconciliation process with those hurt by his actions.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

things are getting good:

Ex-Mars Hill Church members: ‘We are not anonymous’

*grabs popcorn*

oldguybc
    Participant

Hey, IMHO, this guy appears to have his own agenda and doctrine, some of what may be related to Christianity but most appears to have either monetary or power goals of some sort. And to think that it all happened on Mayberry Street…

Edog
    Participant

I still don’t know why Fergie picked Moyes. Can someone answer that for me?

Edog
    Participant

And the plot thickens!

From the Stranger!

Newly Exhumed Documents Reveal Mark Driscoll’s Vision of Our “Puss*fied Nation”

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2014/07/29/newly-exhumed-documents-reveal-mark-driscolls-vision-of-our-pussified-nation

What a sick sick bast*rd!

Shelley

Keeps getting curiouser and curiouser. Today’s revelation is the resignation of one of the big names on the “independent” accountability board. http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2014/07/30/prominent-preacher-quits-mars-hill-church-accountability-board/

They haven’t yet learned to release bad news on Friday afternoons. :)

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Every day someone is forced to move out due due increased pricing and this douche bag is tax exempt. I would pay for a public town meeting one on one with this asshat.

I am waiting for the Ballard sheep to chime in. Baah is the new PBR request.

Marky come out and play… What a sorry human being

Cate
    Participant

With you completely BH. I do not understand tax exempt status being given to faith communities. It strikes me as treating believers and nonbelievers inequitably.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

+1 BH, CaTe

A coup is happening in Bellevue; a public protest against Driscoll by church members is planned for the weekend.

I don’t understand why they don’t just leave the church. Eventually Driscoll will preach to himself.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.