place to get good seafood

Home Forums Open forum place to get good seafood

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Salmon Bay 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

gracie
    Participant

Other day decided to pig out and have fettucine with shrimp..believe size is 51. I was at Freddie’s and got some there. When I opened container at home & put into pan thought hmm, smells a little strong. They ruined the dish. Tasted old, old, old.
    I have noticed the strong smell that permeates there in fish/meat section always. Can smell it in childrens clothing, which is behind there. That should have been a clue.
    Any suggestions where to get good seafood?

Richy
    Participant

Central Market Shoreline, Pike place market, Fishermans terminal, pretty much anywhere except QFC or Fred Meyer

phoo
    Participant

Never buy “fresh” seafood at Fred Meyer’s. If a place smells fishy, don’t buy from it. HT Market is *sometimes* ok, but usually they smell fishy too, so I don’t buy fresh from them. They do however have several different kinds of frozen shrimp to choose from and that was just fine.

There are also a couple small places around here, Jensen’s I think? And there’s another one. But I don’t remember the other name because I just can’t afford to shop there. Fish is a rarity for me.

Apple
    Participant

Never had anything but great seafood from the place up on 80th and 24th, near Larson’s Bakery.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

Fresh Fish Co by Larsen’s on 80th off 24th has always been good to me, used to buy seafood there to take with me on overseas trips for my ex’s family and it was always well packed and very fresh.

oldguybc
    Participant

That place on Greenwood just north of 105th still open? They were good way back when, just sayin’…

Mondoman
    Participant

I think that’s Jensen’s that Phoo mentioned, og. Haven’t been by there in a while, but they’re still supposed to be good, I think — all smoked stuff though, right?

Angeline
    Participant

That market across fom Habitude used to be good. It has a new name, Iman’s. Don’t know if the still sell fish. We mostly buy fron Ballard Market. QFC has been OK, too at least for the highly promoted seasonal specials. At FM I would stick with the shrimp in the freezer case. Trader Joes has good frozen shrimp at a good price.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

Angeline – Th Fresh Fish Co that is now on 80th off 24th used to be located in the market across from Habitude until they had a dispute with the former owner of the market. It used to be called the Locks Deli and is now Iman’s and is owned by same people who run Saleh’s (which is also at 24th & 80th kitty corner from Larsen’s)

Tortie
    Participant

You should never buy defrosted shrimp – it’s frozen on the boat, and starts losing freshness as soon as it’s defrosted. Get it from the freezer section.

Also, 2nd for Fresh Fish Co!

gracie
    Participant

Going to try Fresh Fish. Tortie, never knew that about frozen shrimp. Thanks. Knew you all would come through. Hate spending money on food and turns out to be crap.

phoo
    Participant

gracie, let us know how the prices are. I know there’s reviews out there but “good price” is all relative. I usually don’t buy any fish because it’s terribly expensive. I did once find some inexpensive frozen swai, which I steamed but ugh… I had difficulty just getting down the first piece.

oldguybc
    Participant

this really dates me bigtime… place in the alley just east of 24th on Market, guys would catch kings, blackmouths & sivers in the early morning out of Ray’s, Gene’s, Carroll’s, maybe even over in W. Seattle, bring them to this little hole- in- the- wall fish market & sell them for whatever they could get, they would sell out every day, don’t think it was all that legal even then but talk about fresh fish! The BEST!

JM98107
    Participant

I like Uwajimaya.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Suisan fish market in Hilo Hawaii.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.