Police Search for Ballard Student

Home Forums Open forum Police Search for Ballard Student

This topic contains 42 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Shelley 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author

JM98107
    Participant

King 5 TV web site has an update on the Greenwood murder case.

Cate
    Participant

Just read it. The police publicly identified a minor before arrest let alone arraignment? That is peculiar.

pennygirl
    Participant

That explains the helicopters yesterday.

Angeline
    Participant

That is surprising! I wonder what led them to ID him publicly? But even more surprising (to me) is that he’s in my kid’s English class. He’s on the football team, too. Something really sad and senseless has to be behind all of this.

Crownhiller
    Participant

That is weird that they’d ID him already but maybe that’s a tactic to “smoke him out” or something? And that does explain the long hovering helicopter yesterday evening. This whole incident has been beyond troubling from the very beginning…

pennygirl
    Participant

Aren’t they (because there were 3 of them) also suspected of robbing the Baranof right before the shooting? I don’t understand why he is the only one they named.

I assume they named him because he’s a neighborhood kid, and someone might know where he is.

Crownhiller
    Participant

Well, Q13 is now reporting that he was taken into custody at SeaTac this morning based on an anonymous tip so I guess the strategy worked.

Shelley

Supposedly his name and potential/likely involvement were being spoken about at Ballard High on Friday. This, according to a parent of a Ballard High student. Her kid knows him and was in a class with him. It’s pretty hard to contain that kind of information, even in light of the presumed innocent until convicted system of criminal justice in this country.

It seems like the SPD has been “economical with the truth” on this incident from the getgo. They have only released the sparest of details. Much of what has been seen and reported comes from other sources. I suppose they will claim they don’t want to release information that will compromise an ongoing investigation, a potential future trial, or an interrogation.

This is very sad. I feel very deeply for David Peterson’s family.

pennygirl
    Participant

Certain things don’t make sense. He went for his daily walk around the neighborhood but was found in a car? Witnesses say he was on the pavement, the police say in a car.

Avocado Head
    Participant

I noticed that too Pennygirl, and it made me wonder if there is more to the story than a simple robbery gone wrong, or maybe shaky reporting. (Both pretty common)

Either way, scary business and a tragedy. Thoughts with the family.

Avocado

pennygirl
    Participant

I don’t know. You are either in the car as the police reported, or on the pavement, as the witnesses at the scene reported. Another thing to ponder is why they aren’t looking for the other two people involved. That’s also a little strange.

GAM
    Participant

Every news report that has been about something I know about has had something garbled, often things I would consider key. So while this is curious, I’m presuming it’s just muddled coverage.

It IS curious we haven’t heard boo about the other two. I expect that to change now they have the one in custody.

pennygirl
    Participant

Gam – they have said that they aren’t looking for anyone else.

gracie
    Participant

Maybe they have identified the other two? And Shelly, quite common for law enforcement not to release critical details during active investigation. It might be something when suspect arrested and he mentions it, could say saw on news.
    Personally I think focus should be Peterson family loss and not criticize the police. Are any of you in law enforcement..doubt it. Personally I am saying thank you to the police who undoubtedly worked many hours to get this guy.. it is not an easy job.
    So my prayers go out to the Peterson family. Sorry for your tragic loss

Angeline
    Participant

I kind of wonder if the other two contacted the police, so that is why they are not being sought for. Maybe they thought they were going to commit the lesser crime of stealing the takeout food from the Baranof, and ditched Byron when he surprised them by stealing the money instead. Or just left him for some other reason, right before he shot the Peterson at his car. I guess we’ll be able to hear all about what happened whenever it goes to trial.

I really can’t see what there is to criticize in the police handling of this case so far. They don’t need to release investigative information, and they caught the suspect quite soon after the crime. They responded quickly to the shooting, too.

pennygirl
    Participant

I see the front page is back to the bad old days. I wasn’t criticizing the police, rather questioning why there are two different stories. That kind of information is important when this goes to trial.

Avocado Head
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t see anyone criticizing the cops anywhere in this thread…

I think it’s natural to be curious as to what exactly went down, and to ponder the reason for some of the inconsistent details and release / non release of information when something this awful happens in our back yard.

-Avocado

gracie
    Participant

Criticism is on home page comments. Blaming parents, saying shoddy police work. Just glad that person is off the streets.

Avocado Head
    Participant

Ah I see Gracie, thank you. Didn’t read those, and glad I missed the ones that were removed… Some of what is still there boggles the mind…

-Avo

Ernie
    Participant

Considering that (unbelievably) there is no login requirement, and the story is linked here from their “news partner” the Seattle Times, the comments on the front page are suprisingly mild.

pennygirl
    Participant

Make your mind up Ernie. A few weeks ago you said you couldn’t post on the home page. Now it’s open to all?

Anyway, the comments there are not particularly mild. They have this kid hung, drawn and quartered before he’s even had a trial. Whatever happened to presumed innocent before being found guilty in this state? And as for blaming the parents – I know at least two families who had a kid with mental illness and they tried their best. Couldn’t do anything because of the system. Before anyone starts being Judge Judy, let’s get all the facts.

That said, my sincere condolences to the family of David Peterson.

Edog
    Participant

You Libs make mo so sick. Judge Judy? No, it’s more like an episode of Dr Phil in here! If you want justice, we should just start killing everyone now. Nothing else will set an example and keep the peace!

Ernie
    Participant

Penny, a few weeks ago pretty much everyone was locked out of the site. I wasn’t able to post on the front page as Ernie, but I could make up a BS name and a fake email address and log on that way. All you have to do is look at the login form to see that registration is not required.

Anyway, Ballard Mom and others on the front page are engaging in a common form of expression called “Trolling”, intended to rile people up, and it appears to be working…

pennygirl
    Participant

That’s what I meant. I know what trolling is.

I’m only sorry that I didn’t realize that Edog was a troll up until now.

Avocado Head
    Participant

LOL

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.