Police Search for Ballard Student

Home Forums Open forum Police Search for Ballard Student

This topic contains 42 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Shelley 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Edog
    Participant

That’s so offensive I think I need to go shoot someone in the face!

Shelley

Here’s a little bit more new information on the case from today’s detention hearing: http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2014/03/17-year-old-suspect-in-greenwood-slaying-ordered-held/

A little more information on the actual crime from the affidavit of probable cause, and some reporting on the victim’s family.

Gracie, if you are going to call me out by name, at least spell it correctly. I worked for 6 years in a very busy DA’s office in California after graduating law school, so I am well aware of the mostly specious reasons you cite. More often than not, the media pursue the story on their own trajectories and uncover the exact same facts (and more) that law enforcement is trying to “protect.” End result, law enforcement looks bad.

Shelley

And here’s a much longer, more in-depth piece from the Seattle Times which interviewed both the victim’s wife and the mother of the suspect:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2023040983_greenwoodsuspectxml.html

I am completely in awe of Kimberly Peterson’s empathy for Yvette Watkins. And… surprise. Apparently some of the earlier reportage (King 5 and Kiro) and commenting on the front page here is incorrect — 2 parent household, not homeless, not transient.

I expect we will see more tomorrow when charges are expected to be laid.

boatgeek
    Participant

The “homeless” thing may be a misunderstanding of how students are classed. In Seattle Schools, students that don’t live with their immediate family (or guardian) are considered homeless. That doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t have a roof, but they probably have a much more precarious living situation. Since there is a major academic impact every time a student moves, this makes some sense from SPS’ perspective.

As I understand the news reports, the student wasn’t living with his family, so SPS would have considered him homeless. If the reporters got info out of the SPS database without understanding the odd definition (which wouldn’t be surprising), they may well have gotten the wrong info.

Cate
    Participant

So apparently it was his mother who turned him in. I cannot imagine how hard that must have been for her. http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/teenaged-murder-suspect-turned-his-mother/nd5tP/

Angeline
    Participant

Warning: don’t read the comments on the KIRO article. Blech.

Shelley

Thanks boatgeek for the explanation of SPS definition of homeless/transient. I had no idea. Makes more sense now.

Wow, just cannot imagine how much courage that took for his mom. Thanks for the comments warning.

pennygirl
    Participant

I would be shocked if that info was freely available on the SPS database. But Boatgeek is correct – anyone without what is considered as a ‘stable’ address is classed as homeless.

For the most part, the comments on the front page are also pretty vile.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

The whole article is gone from the home page now

great idea
    Participant

I still see it there?

the comments are certainly vile, but do not surprise me.
    especially since one person can create several identities to inflame the conversation.

if this event has taught me one thing, it’s that when somebody shows me a gun and demands my cell phone– I will hand it over and run like the dickens.

Shelley

So, he’s been charged now.

Teen charged with murder of man on Greenwood street

According to the documents, White then ran to a friend’s house a few blocks away and told three people about what had happened. He told them the man had used the phone to call 911 and that “the man had seen his face, and he had to shoot him.”

The documents alleged White was disappointed that the cellphone he had taken from Peterson “was not a nicer model.”

gracie
    Participant

On the news this morning said the guy went back to the victim and shot him because #1 – he saw his face and #2 HE DIDN’T LIKE THE PHONE HE STOLE. IT WASN’T NICE ENOUGH.
    To kill someone because of that just boggles my mind. If he had got caught for the robbery, as a juvenile, his sentence would have been miniscule. But instead he decides on his own to kill an innocent person because didn’t like the phone he stole.

boatgeek
    Participant

PG, I highly doubt that information is publicly available, and nor should it be. However, reporters also have their sources that get private data. I suppose it’s also possible that the police asked SPS for the student records, and it leaked out that direction. Either way, the SPS database seems like the most likely source for that particular piece of misinformation.

gracie
    Participant

Sorry – Shelley. Not going to argue the point but I, too, have had connections with law enforcement before. And I still say it is not uncommon for police to hold back critical information. And yes, even though that is the case there will some way have information leaked. All kinds of sources for that.
    And I still stand up for Seattle Police.
    And there are two families impacted by this. The victim’s and the suspect’s mother – having to turn in her own son. That must have been a difficult decision to make but she said she had to do the right thing. Her son whom she will only be able to see from now on in a prison setting.

Edog
    Participant

Gracie – The media is misleading you. He was p*ssed because he did not like the phone. He shot the guy because he could ID him. It’s not uncommon for thieves to do that.

gracie
    Participant

Edog, I said that. The phone wasn’t “nice” enough for him and the victim saw his face.
    And GI – exactly what to do – just hand over the phone. They can be replaced. Your life can’t. Where my mom worked her boss told her if someone came in and attempted to rob the place, just hand over the money. It was replaceable – she wasn’t.

Romanesque
    Participant

According to the article, he shot the victim because he was afraid the victim could identify him. Later, at his friend’s house, he complained about the quality of the phone.

Shelley

To nobody’s surprise, today, Byron White entered not guilty pleas to all charges including first degree murder, second degree attempted robbery, second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm.

Teen pleads not guilty to Greenwood cellphone slaying

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.