Question about comments

Home Forums Open forum Question about comments

This topic contains 26 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Miss Julie 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Geeky Swedes
    Keymaster

Now that everyone is migrating over to the new forum, with a new registration, we could change the commenting on MyBallard.com to use the same system.

So if you’re registered for the forum, you could post a comment with your same user name and avatar. Once you’re logged in, you can participate in comments, forum and groups.

People who haven’t registered would be required to sign up before they comment, just like the forum.

Today, we use Facebook for commenting, which requires your real name but no registration.

Thoughts?

Edog
    Participant

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Allison W
    Participant

I see no problem with that. I stopped commenting on the front side after the switch to FB.

Edog
    Participant

In light of that fact, perhaps you should keep it a facebook only system on the front side?

Monorail Driver
    Participant

Excellent idea.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Sounds great to me.

Cate
    Participant

All for it. I stopped commenting on the front page when it went to FB.

jburgh
    Participant

This is a good idea. I also stopped commenting when you based it on FB.

Curtis
    Participant

I think the FB enabled comments was a good idea in that there’s a lot less just plain mean and awful posts that way. I have no problem with it. I try to post in a way that I wouldn’t feel awkward standing up for…though I may occasionally PIU, I would apologize later if I felt I was too “impassioned”.

Krow
    Participant

I’ve been posting to comments for quite some time so it makes no matter to me how you do it. I didn’t know it was possible to use anything but my Facebook moniker.

Ernie
    Participant

I’m not a facebooker, so I too stopped commenting on the front page after the change. I think it would be great if registered users could post everywhere.

ladybuk
    Participant

Curtis +1

Although the FB link does kind of freak me out if I over (slippery-slope) think about it. You never know what’s going to set someone off. One person’s innocuous restaurant review is another man’s Helter Skelter, amirite? ;)

Allison W
    Participant

You are so right about that.

Nora Bell
    Participant

Good plan! The comments on the main page have become dull and colorless since the Facebook switch.

Crownhiller
    Participant

Think it makes sense – there are, believe it or not, quite a few people in the world who don’t have FB accounts for a variety of reasons – it does limit the pool. Which come to think of it, as Curtis so rightly points out, might be a good thing in the long run ;o)

Miss Wahoo
    Participant

If I could post comments using the registered user name/avatar I use on the forum, I would do so.

If I have to use Facebook, I won’t.

phoo
    Participant

I have a FB account and I refused to post on the front page. It didn’t matter how mild and innocuous my comment would be, I wouldn’t do it because it would be too easy for someone here to find my “real” facebook name. I like to keep my lives separate, and I’m betting I’m not the only one. It’s not only people who post blistering or trolling posts that don’t want to be tracked.

oldguybc
    Participant

OK like this, getting used to it & like it so far

Rudy
    Participant

I’ve been a “member” of this site from the very beginning (my old forum id was #20!) and the fact that I have to come here to comment on the article from the front page is pretty weak.

db
    Participant

facebook clearly does not care about privacy, and so i will never use that site.

jj
    Participant

I’m still a fan of using the forum for story comments. Just auto-create a new forum post for each new story, and provide a link to the forum.

This way no one reading a story has to read comments, unless they want to.

Life is amazing
    Participant

” I try to post in a way that I wouldn’t feel awkward standing up for…” (Curtis)

I don’t mean to be too Suzy Creamcheese but what if we all just made comments that we would be OK making face to face at a party. That doesn’t mean it has to be boring, just fairly civil.

Crap, I AM Suzy Creamcheese.

I don’t even eat Creamcheese.

plasticbags
    Participant

I would comment on the front page if I could do so as Plasticbags. I stopped commenting when it switched to Facebook.

Mondoman
    Participant

Yep, forum avatar to rule ’em all.

joey
    Participant

I, too, don’t comment because of the Facebook requirement. I do NOT like FB’s privacy policies.

I welcome a change eliminating that requirement.

Joe

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.