Restrooms in Ballard

Home Forums Open forum Restrooms in Ballard

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  terryj 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

polywave
    Participant

My fiance’ is a gas locator for Puget Sound Energy. Her core task is to locate the gas lines so that when digging occurs gas leaks do not.

She is out on the streets for 8 hours every day, rain or shine. I’m proud of her.

There is a problem however. When she has to use a restroom she is denied this basic human need unless she purchases product from the Ballard retailers (most of them anyway). I am appalled that the Ballard City Counsel is either not aware of this situation, or allows retailers to do business in Ballard in this very disrespectful way.

Polywave

VeganBiker
    Participant

polywave – right now in Ballard there are porta potties at almost every construction site, I know because being a 70 YO I often need to go.

I am surprised that PSE doesn’t do what Metro/K.C. does for bus drivers, they have agreements with stores and businesses along bus routes to allow the drivers to take a bathroom break, or at least they did back when I was working for Metro.

polywave
    Participant

Thank you. She knows about these and uses them first before asking a business.
    I will let her know about the way Metro/KC makes/made agreements with businesses.

I would think that a city like Ballard, or Seattle as a whole, would have a city ordinance that provides availability to restrooms for their citizens.

I hear the same old story from businesses I purchase goods and services to,
    “the homeless or drug addicts are using our bathrooms, so we shut them down to
    everyone”.
    This sounds like a cop out to me. The businesses, like Safeway for example, can determine if they have a drug addict or homeless person trying to take advantage of them and deal with those individuals specifically.

Personally, I’m not seeing a homeless/drug addict epidemic in Ballard. And if I’m missing it, then it should be dealt with in some way other than a way that takes away basic human amenities from those that don’t exhibit this behavior. Should your granddaughter or grandson, or elderly mother of father suffer at the hands of homeless people or drug addicts?

Shame on the Ballard City Counsel for not resolving the Ballard issues that are adversely affect their citizens in a meaningful and positive way. They are not earning the right to serve in their position.

GAM
    Participant

“Ballard City Council”? Yeah, they haven’t been responsive since 1907.

terryj
    Participant

“I would think that a city like Ballard, or Seattle as a whole, would have a city ordinance that provides availability to restrooms for their citizens.”

You must be new to town. Seattle does not care about its taxpayers, period.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.