Sad State Of Affairs

Home Forums Open forum Sad State Of Affairs

This topic contains 79 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  VeganBiker 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • Author

Monorail Driver
    Participant

When did this forum get sent to the morgue? This used to be a useful community resource, but now it is hard pressed to get an inane Pickles the cat update. What happened?

phoo
    Participant

1) Some people jumped off when they became disinterested for a variety of reasons
    2) The forums were offline for a couple weeks
    3) I can’t vouch for other folks, but that last couple of weeks it seems to take a good long time for posts to update, almost as if someone is having to manually approve each message. It makes it almost impossible to have a conversation.
    4) Because of the issues above, folks have moved to other forums that (according to them) fulfill the role this place used to.

JM98107
    Participant

This Forum has gone through several changes over the years, but often it was just a hodgepodge and not really community news. The ranting and raving was amusing for sure.

Another front, anybody see the car flipped west of the Ballard Market on 15th NW this morning?

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

lately It’s mostly been the I’ll post this now & maybe see it on here 6 hours later part that has put me off, not sure why such a long lag time

the various “this page is unavailable” episodes have not helped but think the forum crashes/upgrades over the last 2 years probably drove most off

quite sad because I remember reading this forum a lot long before I joined and finding it quite informative and fun

NWCitizen
    Participant

I found the nastiness on the forum rather off putting. Others, I guess, thought that was fun. I did/do not.

Also, the lack of technical support by the administrators of the forum and slow response times make it difficult to have any meaningful exchange.

Is there another Ballard-centric forum that we might use instead of this one?

NWCitizen
    Participant

I posted a response at 9:30am. Let’s see how long it takes for the post to show up.

collingswood
    Participant

Take a look at the black sign-in bar at the top of the page. We all figured it out, but it does not draw the eye to it. I think a lot of people don’t know that is where to go to sign-in. A different color would help or possibly a larger font. That black bar coincided with the drop off in participation, so it is likely not a coincidence.

PlantLover
    Participant

I think you are partly right, collingswood. You can add to Phoo’s list confusion over the new format. But her other reasons seem right too. Although I have to say I have never had a delay between posting and it showing up.

In my case, because the postings became rare, I did not expect to find things that interested or informed me. So I stopped checking it regularly. I have found it a great place to have thoughtful discussions, as well as fun. I don’t mind a bit of snark if it is not mean-spirited snark. But there is little reward when I check and see that nothing has been posted. I would to see it get back some of its old spirit.

Oh well, Happy Superbowl everyone! I am not a football fan, but I will cheer the Seahawks on anyway. If we are going to have a team, it might as well be a kick-ass winning team!

lakreitz
    Participant

Hey JM98107 on Friday I saw the over-turned car on 15th between Mkt and 56th too. I had plenty of time to look at it due to traffic. I certainly hope that no one was badly injured, I could not tell from where I was. Not certain how the physics worked to result in a car end upside down in a place and at a time when I would have thought that traffic was slow. I’ve witnessed accidents the end up with cars facing the opposite direction, so I’ve got that one down.

Angeline
    Participant

Well, we can try to revive this one or share the new forums so others can migrate there as well. I have not found a replacement. I’m on Next Door, but because it is neighborhood-specific I can’t talk to Ballard friends there. Even when I click on “expand network” for my posts Ballard is not included. I’m in Fremont, and apparently we only have things in common with those in Queen Anne, Wallingford, Phinney, and West Woodland (which in my book is Ballard, but only a portion of it). If you have a new “home,” please share or PM me an invite if newcomers might be welcome.

I got out of the habit of posting here for a couple reasons.
    1. lots of outages
    2. the way I used to get kicked back to the MyBallard home page upon login, so I’d have to re-navigate to the post I wanted to comment on. That issue has been fixed for awhile, though. Much nicer now.
    3. the re-org of the forums so you can no longer see all the posts together but must choose Open, Classifieds, or Groups.

Snark doesn’t drive me away. I just skip the posts that are getting really negative.

phoo
    Participant

I find I’m checking less often because it can take hours or days for a new post to show up after it was initially made. It may be someone’s working on it. Today I saw lakreitz made a post, but when I looked into the thread it wasn’t showing up.

Little Lou Lou
    Participant

There are two other Ballard forums to party on. This one sucks now as you all have griped. Let’s go have some fun!

Mondoman
    Participant

What forums are these favorites of your, lucretia?

Angeline
    Participant

Yes, please share.

lakreitz
    Participant

It took at least 8 hours for my post to show up in this thread. I was thinking of aol dial-up when I checked back in yesterday afternoon. It sure took a long time to log-in this morning. Though I think I will blame my new comcast owned modem for that one – they’ve probably switched it to public on me. I only need the modem for another week, so I am renting it from them.

Miss Wahoo
    Participant

It took awhile for me to login to post this. Not sure how long it took because after what seemed like forever, I worked on something else. When I checked back later (15 minutes? 30?), I was signed in. I don’t remember that delay happening before, except for the delay resulting in the newly frequent “SITE OFFLINE” message.

I stopped visiting here when the forums were down for weeks. Before that even happened, I know of one potential member who told me they never were granted access, and never got a response after registering. EVER. A friend who used to post here frequently says the changes made it too hard to read on their smartphone, so they no longer try. Their return is doubtful.

I’m not sure if this is a software problem, or if there’s no middle ground between a gang of online bullies and an empty forum. The other sites I knew who had a successful forum had a group of moderators who could (and would) suspend or ban members who broke the clearly defined TOS. I doubt we’ll ever know why this forum has died, but it feels like it’s too late to resurrect the online community we once had.

jburgh
    Participant

When I think of My Ballard these days, it just makes me sad. You’d think that the neighborhood member’s interactions would be pretty important for a neighborhood forum. Alas, it is not. Too many outages, glitches, time lags. As a member and moderator on a large fashion forum, this neglect would never happen.

Miss Wahoo, I doubt that the failure is due to a lack of a middle ground. So, where shall we all go now? Lucretia, please spill it!

phoo
    Participant

jburgh: Yeah, I’m sad too. This forum just isn’t functional anymore and even if it got fixed, I don’t believe it can recover from two drawn out outages. It’s dead, it just doesn’t know it yet. :/

So, although there’s the micro-neighborhood forums, is there one that encompasses all of Ballard?

lakreitz
    Participant

While I waited for my post to appear I saw that Lucretia had posted something. Her post has not appeared as far as I can tell> Personally I am enjoying the community that the BuyNothing Project – Ballard gives. And I am a member of NextDoor and one guy is on there trying to spread good news, not just ‘my car was stolen’ ‘my dog/cat is lost’ Nothing will quite replace the MyBallard repartee…..where else could I go, except MyBallard, to bitch about the lamest construction stop/slow flaggers in the world (on 65th at 26th) and get quick confirmation that they mess with everyone, not just me. Or maybe it is just me. Anyway! Those guys are jerks!

lakreitz
    Participant

Oh yeah, I’ll look for my previous comment to show up on 2.3 at noon.

great idea
    Participant

I am on the nextdoor blog also. it’s helpful for neighborhood information, but I rarely post, especially about anything controversial. (who’s the ‘good news’ guy?)
    there’s something to be said for anonymity which I often feel compelled to post under for personal and professional reasons.

the ballard news tribune comments don’t appear to be working anymore.

I sometimes post on the Seattle reddit page, although there’s lots of repetition (moving to seattle, sunrise photos, seahawks memes, etc.)
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/

this blog forum should just be unplugged.

Shelley

Miss Wahoo, agree on the time (minutes to tens of minutes to login). Geesh! I used to pop on once or twice a day after getting to work or during my meal break. It just now took 4 minutes to login.

What’s weird is that Miss Wahoo’s comment was the last one visible without logging in.

Posting this one at 7:06, wonder when it will show up….

JM98107
    Participant

It just took more than a minute to login at 8AM. Anybody hear the shooting last night at 85th and 15th Ave NW. Pretty scary stuff and more like the Rainier Valley than North Seattle.

JM98107
    Participant

Ya, the My Ballard system is very slow.

Shelley

Here’s some reporting on the strafing of Goofy’s and the Pizza Hut last night. Apparently no coverage on the front page here.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/article/Gunman-strafes-Crown-Hill-bar-pizza-place-6058837.php

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.