Scifi Geek-out

Home Forums Open forum Scifi Geek-out

Tagged: 

This topic contains 38 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  pennygirl 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author

phoo
    Participant

The Halloween thread was long ago hijacked by Dr. Who vs Star Trek vs Babylon 5, with a little Firefly thrown in for good measure. At some point (mid-late December? 19th?), I will have a get together of folks (present and future addicts) who would like to see some Babylon 5.

Last night I did start watching whatever iteration of Dr. Who is on Netflix and found it to start at the beginning and be better than last time I saw it (many years ago, and possibly with the original Doctor).

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

phoo – here are the universally accepted doctors in order from 1-12:

the first 8 are considered the “classic” doctors (1963-1996) and the other 4 the “new series” Doctors (since 2005)

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

also I posted this in the Halloween thread but reposting it here:

EMP is having a major who-fest next month:

http://www.empmuseum.org/calendar/events/doctor-wholidays.aspx

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

one more plug:

a writer friend of mine in the UK is doing a charity anthology of the War Doctor to raise money for disabled kids:

https://www.justgiving.com/Declan-May1

give if you can, any amount is welcome and you get a copy of the book, some name Who people are in on this, more info on the project here:

https://www.facebook.com/SeasonsOfWarAnthology

phoo
    Participant

I know I’ve seen I’ve seen #4, but he looks a bit young. Perhaps I saw #3 in his bit younger days. Or maybe I’m remembering a little bit of both. I am currently watching #9. It’s possible it would better pinpoint which shows I watched by intro, as I watched that part the most.

Richy
    Participant

# 4 is Tom Baker, the most popular Doctor of the original run – he was The Doctor for about 10 yrs, so you may have seen a later episode of Bakers

phoo
    Participant

I think I’ve seen #3 too, but only once or twice. I’m liking Dr. Who better now that I’ve started at the beginning (er, sort of… the 2005 series) and it’s a little more modern. I think at one point there was one that had a robot that was really old and hulking, but I couldn’t find a picture like what I was remembering, so maybe I’m mixing it up with another show.

Nora Bell
    Participant

10 years? It wasn’t that long was it? Think Tom Baker was there for 4 years. I may be wrong. If you didn’t like 4, Phoo, maybe 5 is more your speed. He’s my Doctor, and a bit less wacky than 4.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

Tom Baker was there for 7 years (1974-81) still the longest of any Doctor

phoo – this robot maybe?

Robot

that’s from Tom Baker’s very first story “Robot”

phoo
    Participant

I went looking and I think I was either thinking of the “danger will robinson” robot, or Robby the Robot. I do remember the Dr. Who K9 though.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

that would make sense, Doctor who has had a lot of robots but not many hulking ones that I recall

btw: there will be a DW history talk saturday night over by 65th & Roosevelt

https://www.facebook.com/events/758002224236096/

phoo
    Participant

Whoops, my language was inaccurate. I didn’t mean “hulking” as in large, but as in moving in a jerky manner, poorly acted with a human inside. Poorly acted = not what modern people would see as a remotely credible robot.

This robot lived indoors next to the crew it was a part of.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

“poorly acted” could probably describe 90% of the robots in sci-fi up to now, never understood why the idea of being a robot means really jerky movement and not much of a vocabulary

that’s why C3PO, Data and the modern Cylons went over so well, they didn’t resort to the boring old crud acting.

Mondoman
    Participant

Come on, who doesn’t have a soft spot for the old-style Cylons? They were about as threatening as slow-moving Hawaiian lava :)

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I found this on the UK MSN site and thought some might enjoy. Exclusive: Dr Who Christmas Special

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/story/zoomin-uk-exclusive-doctor-who-christmas-special/vi-BBetJmH

phoo
    Participant

How many people would be able to make Dec 19th? It’s a bit close to Christmas, but the best I can reliably do. My friend can’t make the 20th. I think it’ll mostly be a Babylon 5 marathon, though we’ll do a Dr. Who episode if folks are into it. I’ll probably have watched the whole 2005 series by that point.

Chris
    Participant

I have never watched Dr. Who. I am a sci-fi nerd* and understand only that it deals with time travel in some way, which is one of my favorite genres (I saw The Final Countdown in the theater in 1979, Quantum Leap is something I treasure, own the DVD set of Journeyman, and even enjoyed the written version of “The Time Traveler’s Wife”).

Given the length of this series, and that I know virtually nothing about it, can anyone give me an entry point?

* I know, the fact that I haven’t seen Dr. Who is ground for revocation of my nerd card. Forgive me, I know not what I do.

phoo
    Participant

I couldn’t stand the old Dr. Who, so the 2005 reboot (now available on Netflix streaming) was a good place to start. However, they keep changing the stars in the show, which is currently bothering me. It really helped me to start at a beginning point where an introduction to characters and tech happens.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

the 2005 series is not a bad place to start, after that you can go back and watch some of the older ones to understand more

and phoo, the changing the stars is part of why it’s lasted so long plus it’s the source of endless debate over who’s the best or worst Doctor or companion

jburgh
    Participant

phoo – I would like to attend, if you’ll have me. I’ve never seen Babylon 5.

Of the 300 or so trick-or-treaters, we had 2 Dr Whos and one Tardis (awesome!). One of the Dr Whos said he was #11, which he insisted was the best one. The kid looked about 8 to me.

phoo
    Participant

Sunsethillguy, I get that, but so far they’ve been changing every two seasons which seems a bit much. Especially since I don’t like the new companion, it’s possible I could wander off. Keep in mind, in the star trek series, they keep the same cast for 7 seasons.

jburgh, I’d love to have ya! I haven’t figured out a strategy yet for showing episodes. If I skip around, you won’t pick up the storyline which is what really becomes riveting. And that storyline unfolds over a longer period of time than one sitting. I could watch B5 all day, but it might make other people’s heads explode. :)

I honestly can’t remember what I ever went as for Halloween as a kid. I remember only one of my brother’s costumes when he went as a robot, mainly because I was wondering how far he’d get in the rain before it melted.

phoo
    Participant

Muahahaha! I am concocting a scheme for the B5 episodes. I’ve got 3-4, strewn throughout Season 1. It gets even more interesting later, but best to start in the beginning. Sadly, we don’t see a ton of Kosh in this season.

Soon, my pretties.

Cate
    Participant

phoo – I could get into a Sci-Fi geek-out if it featured Firefly (which I’ve never seen but would love to binge watch some day). Never seen Babylon 5 but am leary of the commitment – how many episodes in the series? (I find I have to watch the whole series if I watch one episode so sometimes better not to get started).

phoo
    Participant

B5 is 5 seasons long, 22 eps per season. I also have firefly. I’m uncertain how many episodes total people will tolerate. If I show one Dr. Who, one Firefly and three B5 (it’s a complex series), that’s usually too much tv watching for other people (I multi-task or I have trouble sitting still), but I’m totally open to what works for people. Each of these episodes are about 45 minutes, though I believe Dr. Who is around an hour long.

I assumed we’d start in the evening, since Friday is a workday for most people, but maybe we should start a little earlier, or folks who want more of X can come early?

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

new Doctor Who is about 45 minutes long per episode, the classic series was done as a weekly 22 minute show so a story from that time from over an hour.

as for the companions, most of them have been quite good. you have to remember when the show started back in 1963 they were filming for all but 2 or 3 weeks a year so actors decided to move on more often unlike Star Trek which only did 20+ episodes for each of it’s 3 year run originally so the actors stuck around more plus British shows need to not be that long lived.

funny story I have to add here, when Lalla Ward was first cast in the classic Series of Doctor Who she was performing in a production of Hamlet. one of her costars told her not to waste her time doing Science Fiction and stick to legitimate theater, that’s costar’s name was Patrick Stewart who later became Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.