SEIU shoots itself in the foot again…

Home Forums Open forum SEIU shoots itself in the foot again…

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Shelley 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Mondoman
    Participant

So I get a call today on my do-not-call-list cell from someone who won’t tell me why they’re calling me (after trying to tell me they’re calling from “Proposition 1A and 1B”!). The supervisor will only say that “we can’t reveal our calling location for security reasons”! Finally, he admitted they were calling on behalf of the Proposition 1a campaign.

After looking up the phone number, it seems to be a nationwide call center operation often hired for political campaigns by the SEIU. Since SEIU decided not to work with the City Council and push 1A on their own, they are its main backers.

I would have been willing to listen to their arguments if they were up front about who they were and who funded them, but this whole shady cloak-and-dagger secrecy just smells like some kind of scam (I guess a scam on the government in this case).

And that’s my (true) Halloween scare story — hope your Halloween is more positive than that!

phoo
    Participant

I was in SEIU once. Generally, I felt the workers benefited from having a union. However, I really hated that they would try to tell us how to vote and that the president position not only had a high turn over, but at least one person was using it to launch a political career. I also saw a picture of her shaking a politician’s hand who’s office I had cleaned for awhile and I did not like the way he treated “the help.” He wasn’t horrible to them, but he wouldn’t notice those who were too small for him to acknowledge.

Cate
    Participant

As someone who strongly supports having universal Pre-school for children, I’m pretty pissed at SEIU too. Talk about muddying the waters and confusing/irritating voters. The City Council actually did a good job of soliciting input from the various sectors of the Early Childhood community. SEIU had every opportunity to represent their members early on in the process but were absent.

Shelley

Interesting. About 4:30 last night I got an election-oriented call (supposedly asking about which way I was thinking of voting on the 1a/1b thing) on my FTC do-not-call cell as well. I’m wondering where they get my number from? I turfed the land line last year.

I don’t think all political calls are banned from cell phones, in this day and age of non-profit PACs.

The Do-Not-Call registry does not prevent all unwanted calls. It does not cover the following:

* calls from organizations with which you have established a business relationship;
    * calls for which you have given prior written permission;
    * calls which are not commercial or do not include unsolicited advertisements;
    * calls by or on behalf of tax-exempt non-profit organizations.

Cate
    Participant

Well I have to say I am (pleasantly) surprised. I didn’t think that Seattle would vote to fund preschools.

Shelley

Me too Cate. My faith in the intelligence of fellow Seattleites was restored on this vote alone. They saw right through the SEIU. I was definitely worried about 1A getting passed. I believe in a lot of unions, but not that one. For me it’s almost as bad to have SEIU sponsor an initiative as having ‘Tim Eyman’ as a sponsor or proponent or supporter.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.