Southern Baptists Invade Ballard

Home Forums Open forum Southern Baptists Invade Ballard

This topic contains 26 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Edog 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Svenska6
    Participant

I’ve noticed several references to Vona Church on MyBallard, and looked up what it is. Strangely, their website doesn’t identify their brand of religion. It turns out that it’s a Southern Baptist church “planted” in Ballard as part of Seattle Church Planting.com’s mission, which says, “The Puget Sound area (greater Seattle) literally could use another 1000 churches today to help transform the region into a place where it is evident that God reigns. More from their website: ‘Here in the Seattle area, we do not start churches to reach the “churched,” but instead to reach those who are at the heart of a very secular, post-modern society.’ The SCP website asks Southern Baptist members to spread out and “plant” Southern Baptist churches in storefronts throughout the city—which just happen to be disguised as contemporary churches. Better not be gay, and women had better not question their husbands. Families must be led by men, only. Vona Church’s beliefs: (from the Southern Baptist website): Marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman. A husband has the God-given responsibility to … provide for and lead his family. A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband. She has the God-given responsibility to respect her husband and to serve as his helper in managing the household and nurturing the next generation. There’s a lot more online, things like how the unconverted will go to hell. Since, conveniently, nothing on Vona Church’s website mentions any of this, it looks to me like the mission of this church is to subversively convert people to a belief system that keeps women in the kitchen and men in charge of everything. Are you sure you want to enjoy the free Kool-aid at their upcoming community events?!

pennygirl
    Participant

Driscoll has competition.

Cate
    Participant

“Another 1000 churches to transform the region into a place where god reigns” Good luck with that. Word on the street is that Mars Hill has been forced to lay off staff and is in a real money crunch due to decreasing attendance and donations. Add another 1000 churches to mix? Yeah, right.
    edited to add: While I’m a non-believer I do have great respect for some of the “Reconciling Congregations” that are in Seattle and Ballard.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Maybe Driscoll has the 7 year itch

lakreitz
    Participant

In another thread there was a link to a discussion of the Mars Hill church layoff. Members were asked to pray over the recently downsized employees. Am I the only one who finds the use of the word over a little disturbing? Makes me think of a cadaver laid out in a box and repeating a rosary. I’d rather be prayed for.

On another related note, years ago, my unreliable car broke down on I-5 on the way to Portland. It was vapor lock and it had happened before, so I knew I just needed to wait it out. I was very close to a rest area, so I walked there to wait it out. At the rest area, I met a missionary from some southern cult type church. He was happy to explain his mission to me and I had time to kill so I listened. Apparently, we are ‘un-churched’ here, and he got the ‘call’ and headed up here to save us from ourselves. Tragically, the mission was cut short. He was headed home to Alabama before the end of his two year stint in the Puget Sound area – there’d been a power grab by the congregants and he’d been turfed out.

In the years that have passed since that chance meeting, western Washington has only slipped further down the slippery moral decay slope – same sex marriage, legalized pot, mail-in voting. Our region must be the subject of much discussion in the ‘churched’ regions of the country. Maybe this type of behavior is why there is a Seattle Freeze.

Ernie
    Participant

Anyone at the “very heart of a secular, post modern society” who falls for this crap was a lost cause anyway.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I have always loved this tune for the lyrics

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rollingstones/farawayeyes.html

I was driving home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield
    Listening to gospel music on the colored radio station
    And the preacher said, “You know you always have the
    Lord by your side”
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you lord
    I had an arrangement to meet a girl, and I was kind of late
    And I thought by the time I got there she’d be off
    She’d be off with the nearest truck driver she could find
    Much to my surprise, there she was sittin in the corner
    A little bleary, worse for wear and tear
    Was a girl with far away eyes
    So if you’re down on your luck
    And you can’t harmonize
    Find a girl with far away
    And if you’re downright disgusted
    And life ain’t worth a dime
    Get a girl with far away eyes
    Well the preacher kept right on saying that all I had to do was send
    Ten dollars to the church of the sacred bleeding heart of Jesus
    Located somewhere in Los Angeles, California
    And next week they’d say my prayer on the radio
    And all my dreams would come true

Nora Bell
    Participant

Yeah, I’m so not worried.

Laura13
    Participant

Oh goody! A new cult to give Driscoll a run for his (dwindling) money. I hope they handle snakes and walk on the pew-backs while speaking in tongues, that’s always fun.

Shelley

I wonder if this new church I saw pop up on 15th, slightly north of 85th might be one of the 1000. I think the name is “Pilgrimage Church” or maybe “Pilgrim Church”. Moved into what used to be the weirdest martial arts studio. Anyway, the church with its blinded storefront windows lets off a weird vibe as well. Maybe they need stained glass storefront windows?

One thing I have always liked about Seattle (as opposed to the Midwest and South) is that people are not in your face about it if you don’t go to church on Sunday/Saturday — they just let you be.

Cate
    Participant

So do you suppose Driscoll took a paycut to try and save staff jobs or was praying over them considered enough?

Ernie
    Participant

Nice BH, the stones tune that comes to my mind, for whatever reason, when I’m reading about these evangelical churches or meeting their kooky followers is this one:

Well, you can’t always get what you want
    But if you try some time, you just might find

You get what you need

Allison W
    Participant

‘Here in the Seattle area, we do not start churches to reach the “churched,” but instead to reach those who are at the heart of a very secular, post-modern society.’

…or as we here like to call it, “utopia.”

No thanks on more churches. We like our post-modern secular society just the way it is. :)

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

Edog
    Participant

Well said, Allison!

Allison W
    Participant

Thanks. I rather like the way Jimmy Rustler puts it as well. No words required.

SEdholm
    Participant

The mormons are hitting harder in Ballard too I have noticed. Saw them coming down 24th last week. They tried talking to me, I should have been much ruder. I can only laugh and think of Orgazmo the movie in the beginning.

Believe what you want (I personally don’t believe in any of it), just don’t push it door to door or try to invade those places who you don’t like the way they think. That is the way to get me angry

Svenska6
    Participant

Allison, thanks for your post. I agree! The thing that I guess rankles me about Vona Church is that when you look at their “Belief” page, they’ve conveniently left out the issues that would give a person pause. Under “Our Values” they list the following: Inclusion, Peace, Freedom, Empowerment, Relationships and Enjoyment. Sounds good, until you realize it’s all a sham. Their “inclusion” doesn’t include gay people. Their “freedom” doesn’t include women, who are instructed to unquestioningly obey their husbands. Their “empowerment” is for men, only–women are not allowed to be pastors or deacons, and are expected to bear children and serve their husbands. Their “relationships” are strictly confined to traditional roles. And their “Enjoyment”–I guess maybe the men enjoy being served and worshipped, but being excluded or subservient, if you’re anything other than hetero- and male, doesn’t sound like “enjoyment” to me. It just frosts me when religions hide behind the veil of “fun!” “contemporary” and “community-minded” to attract new adherents who aren’t given the information to make an informed decision about what they’re joining.

Allison W
    Participant

I guess I don’t think one needs a church to be “fun,” community-minded” or “contemporary.” As a lifelong atheist, I’ve never felt any of those things were lacking in my life.

Mondoman
    Participant

Wow, Svenska, you must be spending a lot of time in this church to know its workings in such detail. If it bothers you so much, why not just stay away from it?

PlantLover
    Participant

Or to quote Phish:

Swinging on the lifeline
    Fraying bits of twine
    Entangled in the remnants of the
    Knot I left behind
    And asking you to help me make it
    Finally unwind

But God never listens to what I say
    God never listens to what I say
    And you don’t get a refund
    If you overpray

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

Svnska6: Aren’t all religions based on the idea that women are subservient sandwich makers? I know there are newer, more progressive versions of these religions but I’m pretty sure they all started as women hating clubs.

Edog
    Participant

Speaking of Mormons, back when I was 18 or 19 a pair of Mormon ladies of the same age stopped at the house. They were very pleasant and even commented on how they loved Mom’s porch furniture, which really looked lovely in the morning light with the floral prints of the cushions blending into the color of the flower boxes in full bloom. Being secular as I was, and am, I told them I was not interested and left it at that, but have come to regret I did not ask them to sit with me.

On some level I think they just wanted a nice place to sit for a while and enjoy the late morning light, and I could have given them that much. I image they would try to talk about their faith, while I would talk about the garden… petunias and stamen, and pollen and sap with innuendo that would make James Joyce blush. Given the setting, it would not have been entirely inappropriate with and the birds and bees all buzzing about that midwest morning.

Imagine an irreverent adolescent boy at his sexual zenith being asked unsolicited deep penetrating questions by a couple of women beautiful with youth at the end of spring. Certainly its fair play! And I wonder… just how they would have handled it? I’m sure they are trained for such occasions, and I’m sure they would have left, but it’s all in how they might have left that makes me curious. Do they leave with fury wagging fingers, do they laugh, laugh either with me or at me, do they on some level enjoy it, but try to steer things back to god as they go? The only thing certain is I’ll never know… the moral of this story is its better to regret things you’ve done than the things you haven’t.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

“. . .while I would talk about the garden… petunias and stamen, and pollen and sap with innuendo that would make James Joyce blush.”

-an excerpt from 50 Shades of Latter Day by Edog.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.