Spring is in the air

Home Forums Open forum Spring is in the air

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  VeganBiker 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

VeganBiker
    Participant

What say you folks? This is just delightful weather but do you think we will have problems with our water supply when we get into summer?

phoo
    Participant

Seriously, when was the last time Seattle had a drought? I’ve lived here 8 years and I haven’t heard people talk about it yet. Portland has them every few years, but it has 3 seasons as opposed to 2 (well, ok so we *did* have a summer this year, but they’re rare :).

I’m hoping the nice weather holds. I’d like to do a little exercise this week.

GAM
    Participant

I read recently that our resevoirs are in good supply. The last (only?) time we had problems was when they drained the resevoirs thinking we’d get precip, but then didn’t.

Plus, it’s been warm, but it hasn’t been that dry, has it?

PlantLover
    Participant

I do remember a drought summer when we could only hand water in the garden. Having a brown lawn and a dirty car were cool. Long time ago though. Twenty years?

Angeline
    Participant

Plantlover, I remember that summer because it was the one when I chose to redo our whole yard. Oops. I was really worried about our new plants and lawn. Luckily the lawn portion was very small.

Do you all think we might get one last lash of winter? It is only mid-February. I bought some dahlias at Costco and decided against planting them right away. Maybe next weekend if the forecast remains warm.

GAM
    Participant

PlantLover
    Participant

Well, if Cliff says it, it must be true!

Anyway, President’s Day is the traditional day in this area for planting peas and potatoes, so if you must plant something, try those. The potatoes I missed in the harvest last year are already a good 6 inches above ground.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

we had a few drought years back in the 90s, you had to water your lawn every third day & there were fines if you were caught doing so otherwise. my mother was smart enough to water for an hour or so at night when everyone else was asleep.

it has been nice lately, finally ditched the winter jacket yesterday but not quitting the sweater completely just yet, still was a bit cool last night.

phoo
    Participant

Last time we had a drought when I lived in Portland, people were encouraged to only flush for solid waste and to let their lawns go brown. Sometimes a strong sense of community can go wrong and it did that summer. People with green lawns were being vandalized. People would sneak up in the night and cut up their lawn. Folks had to resort to putting up signs saying they were using well water, not the tapped-out community water.

PlantLover
    Participant

Sounds like Portlandia, Phoo.

Mondoman
    Participant

Sadly, by late spring my direct sun will be blocked by nearby construction, so I think I’ll try growing lettuce instead of tomatoes (as long as Phoo’s avatar doesn’t get at them).

JM98107
    Participant

Good day to walk from the Locks past Shilshole Bay Marina and through Golden Gardens.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Yes I remember a few summer water shortages here in Seattle and I have only been here since 1975. I also remember Greenlake being frozen so solid one could walk on it! That must have been around 1976 or 77, I remember walking with my very young daughter and two dogs on Ronald Bog up at 175th and about a third of the way out the ice started creaking and cracking! A hasty retreat was in order…

VeganBiker
    Participant

Oh and I have rhubarb and chives coming up in the garden!

Sunflower
    Participant

My rhubarb has been sprouting since the beginning of the month, and I will be putting out peas soon. I also appreciate that it’s not pitch black on my vanpool to work anymore!

Shelley

Think I’ll plant potatoes and snow peas this weekend if the rain holds off. My rhubarb plants need to be dug and divided, but they are sprouting weakly, so that will wait til fall. I saw a Forsythia just about to burst.

phoo
    Participant

VB: I think my parents told me about that winter. They said it got down to 0F. They lived up on Queen Anne hill, but had previously lived in AK. They cranked the heat up to 80F and did their best to get it down to the basement. Come the thaw, the streets were flooded with everyone’s broken pipes, except for theirs. If we had that serious of weather again, I’d have broken pipes as I’m told the exposed pipes under this place aren’t wrapped and I’ve got no control over it.

VeganBiker
    Participant

phoo – well it might not get that cold this winter…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.