Sunset Hill Crime Spree?

Home Forums Open forum Sunset Hill Crime Spree?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

msballard30
    Participant

I live In Sunset Hill and wanted to let everyone know that we’re experiencing a crime wave. Over the past WEEK our BLOCK has had one burglary, two attempted burglaries and three car break-ins (including mine). A few weeks before that a car was stolen. The police told my neighbor that a similar burglary happened on our street about block down. And, as we started talking to one another and our neighbors on nearby streets, we’re hearing that other streets are being hit as well. We’re starting a Block Watch and our neighborhood is now much more vigilant.

I’ve lived on this block for more than 10 years and can only remember a single car prowl involving someone who left a laptop on the front seat. This, by comparison, feels like a swarm of locusts has descended on our ‘hood. As such, we’re trying to spread the word to let people know who live in the area to be aware and on the lookout for suspicious persons (and a blue Honda that allegedly was seen speeding away from one of the cars that was targeted at 4 AM).

gracie
    Participant

Could you provide what part of Sunset Hill? Like cross streets..south of 65th, north of 65th?

msballard30
    Participant

South of 65th, east of 32nd – this general area. Although it may be happening elsewhere, too.

gracie
    Participant

Well that sucks big time. I am north of 65th and west of 32nd. Thanks for the info. Hope jerks are caught sokn.com

Miss Wahoo
    Participant

Thanks for the heads-up, Mb30! I’ll be more watchful, and ask my neighbors to do the same. Weird, just yesterday I was thinking it had been awhile since I’d heard about a nearby car theft.

Good avatar photo of your big fella!

Allison W
    Participant

Totally also happening in Loyal Heights. Tons of car prowls, garage intrusions, and strange ppl in alleys.

Kinda like when I used to live by the car wash…..

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

I’ll be keeping my eye out too, not seen anything lately but good to know

msballard30
    Participant

Thanks, Wahoo!

Just found out another neighbor was burglarized – so that makes 2 burglaries, 2 attempted burglaries, and 3 car break-ins on our block over the past 7 days.

I guess we all have to keep our eyes open these days.

Anonymous

That’s a lot in one block.

I think this is unfortunately just the price of increasing urbanization, diversity and development.

Mondoman
    Participant

Diversity? That’s a new one to me.

Anonymous

Let me clarify: by that I mean socioeconomic diversity, not racial/ethnic diversity.

Christina
    Participant

MsBallard, I live one street over from you, and I learned this morning that my next door neighbor had his car broken into last week. Do you know if your neighbors had locked up their cars and houses? Is our crime wave the result of unlocked car doors and bathroom windows, or do the break-ins involved smashed windows and crowbars?

Mondoman
    Participant

CR – OK, but I thought Ballard was getting less, rather than more, diverse socioeconomically. I shouldn’t be threadjacking, though.

Anonymous

Really, Mondo? I guess that depends what time frame we’re referring to. I’ve only lived in Ballard for eight years, but it seems like during that time it’s become more diverse. And again, I am referring to socioeconomic diversity rather than racial/ethnic diversity, which I wish Ballard had more of.

Mondoman
    Participant

Eight years is plenty to qualify as a Ballardite :)
    I guess it’s pretty subjective and depends on your perspective. I’m thinking about the homogenization of the condo/townhouse/bar/store scene and the loss of places like the Lockhaven apartments. I can see how others might have different perspectives.

msballard30
    Participant

Christina — All three cars that were broken into had their windows smashed. During our walk-around on our block yesterday, we learned that THREE houses had been burglarized. One gained access through an unlatched window on the back of the house, one reportedly was through a flimsy back laundry room door, and I have conflicting reports about the third house (anecdotally we heard a crowbar was used, likely to a back door). The two attempted break-ins were through side gates. To our knowledge, all of these incidents have happened in the early evening through early morning periods (i.e., as late as 4:30 AM). As a result, several neighbors are having alarms installed on their cars and homes.

Additionally, a new neighbor reported that someone suspicious had come to his door on Saturday – he knocked, mumbled something about a new business opening that was offering free carpet cleaning, free hardwood floor cleaning, etc., but couldn’t really name the name of the business or location, and then left.

FYI, the police let us know that a common way thieves case homes during the day is to knock loudly on a door and to wait. If no one answers and they don’t hear a dog, they may then go around back to look for easy access. If someone DOES answer, the kind of response my neighbor received above is exactly what one would expect – make up something on the fly and then find a quick reason to leave. We’ve all heard stories like this on other threads, but thought I’d pass it along.

Anyway, hope that helps. Two neighbors and I are planning to visit our neighbors on adjacent streets to give them a heads up about what has been going on. This seemed to have helped this weekend as several neighbors on our street had no idea and are now planning on being more vigilant.

One last thing – we were told to report EVERYTHING to the 911 number, regardless how trivial, since that’s the only way to affect the crime statistics reports, which in turn can lead to more patrols. We’ve all heard this before – just wanted to reinforce it here.

Anonymous

Mondo, I agree, it is probably subjective. I imagine Ballard being more homogeneous – older, more Scandinavian, more working class, more established – before the townhouse/condo/bar people (ahem, us) moved in. It does seem like the area now has a more diverse demographic, along with greater income disparity and social issues, than it previously had. Again, that’s just my perception and perhaps I’m wrong.

MSBallard30, it would be helpful to know which block or street you’re referring to, if you’re comfortable disclosing that. I also live in the general area you described and would like to know if this is going on in my block or on my street. It’s a little alarming.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.