Texting by grandkids

Home Forums Open forum Texting by grandkids

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  teigyr 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

oldguybc
    Participant

I don’t know if this has been approached before or if it should go on the rant wall but I have a real problem with kids texting during visits by grandparents. This is just flat RUDE with a capital R! We had dinner last week at our daughter & son- in- law’s house, arriving around 2PM for dinner at 4:30 or so. Our 20 yr old and our 15 year old granddaughters sat there in the living room not looking up from their phones once… even while MsOG or I were talking to them. To make matters worse MsOG called her daughter up the next day to complain and was told “well, that’s the way kids are these days”.
    WTF???

pennygirl
    Participant

That’s the way kids are these days :-)

Give them a phone and they will text. The clue is not to give them a phone.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

pennygirl
    Participant

OldGuy -telling them to put it down often works.

teigyr
    Participant

I think telling them to put it down would be the responsibility of the parents. What you could do is if they’re at your house, then they abide by your house rules. I’m not sure that you can change house rules at someone elses house but surely the parents must know it’s rude?

great idea
    Participant

yeah– talk to your daughter or son and tell them to show the old man a little respect.
    make it clear that your time on this earth is limited then spill some bullshit wisdom about this or that to make them listen.

if you’re interesting enough, they will put their devices down (or better yet, start recording you to post on youtube).

oldguybc
    Participant

GI… think they’re already doing that…

teigyr
    Participant

OG, this is nothing to do with this at all but…..race at AT&T Park in Sept! http://www.race-sfgiants.com/ You get to actually walk on the field at the finish. Mr T and I will be there – I’m running the half then will walk the 5k with him, he is not a runner. Come on out and walk the 5k with us if you are so inclined! (You can run the half with me too if you want…am thinking that doesn’t sound like as much fun?) You get a player bobblehead and other stuff.

And you know, it isn’t “what kids do these days”. I know kids that don’t. It’s all in what they’re allowed to do.

oldguybc
    Participant

Teigyr, you’re on! Getting MsOG out walking AND attending a Giant’s game is on my bucket list, so I’m there! BTW, how ’bout them GIANTS!

PS… Mr T don’t run? THIS guy I gotta meet!

teigyr
    Participant

You can get Giants tickets through the race — we can’t go because we go home before the next game. AND High Dive is right there, Patron on tap! You go, we get the first round after the race :) Nope, he doesn’t run. He has the uncanny ability to find places near the finish that have drinks and food….and he is there at the finish. He will walk certain 5ks, especially if they have anything to do with baseball parks. Oooh, I can wear my panda hat!!! For the walk, not the run. Don’t want panda balls bouncing on my face. Anyway, it’s cool that you finish out on the field and can walk on the grass. Plus, you get special Giants stuff. If you’re going to do it though, register at some point in the near future (I think there is a discount today cause it’s national running day) because I’m sure it’ll sell out.

Kate
    Participant

At 7 or 8 you might want to talk to the parents. At 20 and 15, talk directly to the “kids”, preferably right when they are doing it, and tell them how the texting makes you feel (about yourself, rather than how it makes you feel about them). They are probably clueless because, among their friends, this is completely acceptable activity. If they have any social awareness at all, they should be mortified at the idea that they are making you feed dull and/or unimportant and/or whatever. It sounds like you will be able to do this the next time you see them.

Mondoman
    Participant

Have heard that 20ish job applicants will actually text during job interviews!

OG – you’ve suggested a great Silicon Valley startup idea! Make use of the phone’s location services to have it disable texting or video streaming when in close proximity to specific other phones (i.e. your phone). As long as you’ve got your phone at the dinner table, voila! Their texting doesn’t work. Parents pay for the phone, so they have rights to install the app. You get the benefit of non-texting gk’s, so you pay a small monthly fee to the startup. I feel like an underpants gnome without the disadvantages!

Mondoman
    Participant

Just a note that comparing my and Kate’s proposed solutions showcases the whole Mars/Venus gender stereotype.

Shelley

OGBC, it would probably completely illegal, but I wonder if there’s something analogous in the cell phone world:

My late husband had a buddy who made this device that would turn off or mute (his choice) all the TV’s in range. I think it worked like a universal remote but cycling through all the possible remote signals for off/mute.

teigyr, “Don’t want panda balls bouncing on my face” — just about snorted my whole cup of coffee out my nose. Now, I’m afraid to look up what a panda hat looks like.

great idea
    Participant

stop monkeying around and get yourself a cellphone jammer. the neighbors might get annoyed, but you’ll have the grandkids’ attention.

this guy used one for two years before getting caught:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/a-florida-resident-drove-around-with-a-cellphone-jammer-84369099229.html

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@OG: Next time you go over for dinner, take out your phone and start texting them. Don’t stop. Just keep spamming them with texts like “how is school?” and “seen any good movies?”

They will have no excuse to not reply to your texts because they are already staring at their phone. At some point they will get the message and just start talking to you.

teigyr
    Participant

I have a panda hat as my avatar. Not so scary :) The balls do bounce around my chin, is there a polite way to say that?

I wish I had a cell phone jammer. I covet one. It’s sad that technology advances faster than manners.

oldguybc
    Participant

Teigyr, definitely wear the Panda Hat! This is GIANT country!

BTW here’s another race that might just rival the Bay to Breakers…

http://www.roadraceplace.com/races/krispy-kreme-challenge-4-mile-nc-raleigh/

Run 2.5 miles, eat a dozen KK donuts, run back all in less than an hour…

great idea
    Participant

that is awesome oldguy!

reminds me of a common stunt I witnessed a few times at a random mid-western college I attended:

drink a gallon of milk in 1/2 hour. keep it down for another 1/2 hour.

never saw anyone accomplish this, despite some big, burly football players’ attempts and other random trickery (eating M & M s beforehand, chugging the milk in quick intervals, etc.)

five miles in an hour does not sound like much, but not sure I could eat a dozen KK in a day!

teigyr
    Participant

OG, let’s confer before the great event. I think you can msg through here now though? if not, user name at the google place. We’ll be staying kind of near the stadium, we’re there til monday just so we can enjoy the park and libations and food. And more of all of the same. Let’s figure something out…we’ll be down saturday for packet pick-up too.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.