To the driver of silver car in LH today…

Home Forums Open forum To the driver of silver car in LH today…

This topic contains 57 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  BuffaloHawk 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Allison W
    Participant

…at an unregulated intersection: yes, I did flip you off. Wanna know why? We both arrived at the same time, but since you were the car on the right, you have right of way. That’s why I stopped, and then waited a full 30 seconds for you to go before gunning it and flipping you off. See, you may think you’re being courteous, but really, you’re putting me in a position where I’m breaking the traffic laws, and if there’s an ensuing accident, it would be my fault.

Please try and obey traffic laws rather than trying to be “nice” and endangering other motorists.

That is all.

Edog
    Participant

Wow, thats not very old Ballard of You!

Sunset Hill David
    Participant

It does sound like you overreacted a bit. I thought you are going to say he blew through the light.

Rudy
    Participant

Mondoman
    Participant

A biking corollary: when you stop at a 4-way intersection and wave a stopped bicyclist through (yes, I know you may be shocked, having never seen a bicyclist stopping), keep in mind that HE/SHE PROBABLY CAN’T SEE YOUR WAVE INSIDE THE CAR! I find it very difficult to see inside cars, especially when it’s cloudy or dusk/dark. Factory tinting of much auto glass makes it even worse. Personally, as a bicyclist I’m not going to trust a stopped car unless I can see for myself that the driver is waving me on; otherwise, I’ll just stand there, off the pedals, twiddling my thumbs until the car finally decides to go through the intersection. If it’s Allison, I will try to hide my face so she can’t identify me and hunt me down afterwards. :)

Rudy
    Participant

Very good call Mondoman. Even without tinted glass on a sunny day the glare from the windows makes it tough to see inside the car whether you’re walking, on a bike, or in a car.

great idea
    Participant

“It does sound like you overreacted a bit.”
    agreed.

I think the whole thing is pretty funny, though. especially allison driving off in a huff.

good thing there was no “ensuing accident” after you “gunned it.”
    you wouldn’t want anything like this to happen:

phoo
    Participant

Ok, I can see why this would be irritating. But for every overly polite (and not following the law) person, there’s at least one person who decides that since I came to a full and complete stop as I should at a four-way stop intersection, they have time to go right behind the other person who actually did stop first.

My typical reaction to people who freak out because I passed them (notably some kid who had his car with those crazy angled tires) or who are aggro enough to flip me off is to laugh. Seriously, I think it’s hilarious they got all worked up when I’m not doing anything wrong!

GI: The end of that video is the best! Driving aggro doesn’t pay, kids.

GAM
    Participant

Allison, if it brings you some comfort (and it sure sounds like you need some), I’m pretty sure once the other person waves you on, you are no longer considered to be cutting them off in any way and would not be breaking any laws.

I’m with Mondo, though: if I’m not 100% sure of their intentions, I won’t bike/walk/drive in front of someone that may be waving me on when it is their right of way. I do find squinting at the car won’t help me see better, but it does make them realize I have no idea whether they’re looking at me, waving at me, changing the CD, just plain lost, etc.

I had someone get mad at me a couple months back because I wouldn’t walk behind their car since the back up lights were still on. The driver was on the far side from me, and I had no idea they were waving me on until they shouted at me. I laughed and cheerfully (I thought) said I never walk behind a car with the back up lights on. They decided yelling at me would be the best choice at that point, which really didn’t make me want to walk behind their car.

Allison W
    Participant

If people could simply learn the traffic laws, and then follow them, none of this would be an issue.

saffythepook
    Participant

“If people could simply learn the traffic laws, and then follow them, none of this would be an issue.”

This from the woman who rear-ended another car on the Ballard Bridge and tied up traffic for hours.

http://www.myballard.com/forum/topic.php?id=1126

You and your hypocritical screeds against other drivers are priceless, Allison.

Rudy
    Participant

phoo
    Participant

Heh, if people followed the laws, then people would signal their intended next move instead of zipping in and out of traffic or stopping in the middle of the road for seemingly no reason, until they make a left turn.

If people followed the law, they wouldn’t pass on the right when there was no lane for cars on the right.

And if people followed the law there would be no robberies, murders, muggings or rapes. I definitely prefer that world, but I don’t bother wishing for it.

Really, it would be very nice if people both knew the law and followed it, but it is a futile wish.

Allison W
    Participant

Saffy, we all make mistakes on occasion. I had had a pretty heinous day that day and I paid dearly for that momentary lapse. That was the first and only time I have caused a traffic accident.

What I am talking about is action with intent. I am sure you can see that you’re comparing apples to oranges here….right?

Little Lou Lou
    Participant

My goodness, everyone makes mistakes. Why do you all come here to cry and look for comfort on a computer?

Ernie
    Participant

Allison, you really waited for 30 seconds? Two cars, sitting at an unregulated intersection for a full 30 seconds?

Here’s how I do it. One, one thousand, two one thousand.. Go! No finger, no drama, just head on down the road, not giving it a second thought.

30 seconds…that’s funny.

Richy
    Participant

waited a full 30 seconds for you to go before gunning it and flipping you off

Gunning it & Flipping off are two aggressive acts and would put you at risk for a $580 ticket and also be responsible for any damage or accident that may occur.

WSP and SPD state that the accident probability increases 4-6 time when angry.

If people could simply learn the traffic laws, and then follow them, none of this would be an issue.

Yes this would be nice – if only you would listen to yourself

next time just drive in a safe way and ignore the idiot

Anonymous

Today, a person in a car in front of my vehicle used their turn signal before slowing down to make a turn. An appreciated gesture, indeed. :)

Ballardgirl
    Participant

My issue rests with drivers approaching stop signs at arterial streets with no intention of stopping at all. They drive out almost into the intersection, much past the stop signs and hope there is on traffic. When I see this behavior, I slam on the brakes. How can I know if they are drunk, or just hoping I will speed up so they will not have to brake before they ‘merge’ in. If the sign says STOP, there is a reason.

Miss Julie
    Participant

No you go!

saffythepook
    Participant

“What I am talking about is action with intent. I am sure you can see that you’re comparing apples to oranges here….right?”

Ummm, no.

Everyone makes mistakes. Few make a doozy like yours and subsequently go out of their way to point out the far less serious mistakes of others with such righteous indignation.

great idea
    Participant

30 seconds is a really long time.

I hope you are exaggerating allison, but that would be somewhat comical.

if I knew where you drove at certain hours, I would drive from right-side streets and pause for a long time just to mess with you.

+1 saffy for your incredible memory of by-gone events.

empathy people!

Allison W
    Participant

I know exactly how long :30 is and I waited that long. And yes, it was ridiculous. If I’d had nowhere to go, I’d have parked and gone home. Julie’s Portlandia clip is not much of an exaggeration.

Ernie
    Participant

30 seconds to decide who goes first at an unmarked intersection? nobody comes out of that situation looking good.

Edog
    Participant

So now that you’ve calmed down, do you feel like an idiot for flipping the bird? I too have done that in moments of road inspired anger, but stopped doing it when I figured out it made me feel worse than anyone I flipped it to.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.