To the driver of silver car in LH today…

Home Forums Open forum To the driver of silver car in LH today…

This topic contains 57 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  BuffaloHawk 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • Author

great idea
    Participant

yes, imagine allison’s chagrin when the offending driver pulls into a driveway down the street as her new neighbor. I’m sure the August block party will be lots of fun.

this is why I also don’t flip people off in Ballard.
    I would not want to become the resident hot-head.

plasticbags
    Participant

When this type of behavior occurs, I almost always take advantage of it and go. Pretty much if the other driver shows any type of hesitation I go. I usually exclaim “Florida style” during any questionable driving maneuver. I’m not sure if it would hold up in a court of law but it makes me feel better.

phoo
    Participant

racerX: I know just how you feel! More than once I’ve seen someone sit through an entire red light (as the first car), when it turns green, THEN they put on their turn signal. Or they stop in the middle of the road – dead stop, THEN put on their signal only when they are performing the action.

I think the bottom line is everyone has their pet peeves. Allison’s seem to be over-politeness (in this case it could be potentially dangerous, but past pet peeves included non-dangerous over-politeness). Mine is the A-holes that force everyone else to wait because they jump a long line of traffic by doing questionable or illegal passing. Everyone has something that gets their goat – it’s all about how a person responds to it. I can’t say I respond to it as well as I should, but I try to avoid external manifestations (honking, aggressive light flashing, flipping off, etc), other than sometimes making the international symbol for “GO!!!” (using my downward facing hand hand in a “scoot” gesture) which the driver ahead of me probably can’t see anyways and I’ve always thought is in-offensive.

What are other people’s pet peeves?

Cate
    Participant

My pet driving peeve is definitely the people who think that they can drive and text at the same time. They can’t. They swerve, they slow down and speed up, they scare pedestrians and bicyclists (or worse). They endanger me, themselves and anyone else on the road. Overly “polite” motorists that wait at stop signs are mildly annoying but a texter gets my full wrath (but not the finger).

great idea
    Participant

I like this “Florida style” exclamation after questionable driving maneuvers and will start using it myself although I have no affiliation with the state.

phoo– your turn-signal anecdote reminded me of a situation I encountered a few weeks ago.

I was driving along your typical residential street behind an unmarked white delivery van. the van stopped in the middle of the street and the driver got out to make a delivery.
    there was ample room to pull to the curb, but he decided to just double-park and block the road without so much as a hazard light.
    when he walked back to his car I expressed my displeasure (w/o a finger gesture mind you).

except, then we drove another block and he pulled the same stunt! I laid on the horn as soon as he stepped out and he sheepishly got back in and moved it so I could get by.

plasticbags
    Participant

The use of “Florida style” can range from “sorry I cut you off” to “don’t blame me for not being able to parallel park”. Before using the exclamation you must prove that you can successful dart through a pack of elderly people in their crown vics and town cars going 20 under the speed limit and then avoid one of them in left lane (with a left blinker on) that suddenly crosses all 4 lanes of traffic to make a right turn instead.

Cate, the texting and driving really bothers me too. Bonus points if they have a Baby on Board sign suctioned to their back window.

Phoo, “Florida style” drivers have an unspoken agreement to not let people like that in. I’ve seen the person who tries to do that get stuck for just as long as they would have been stuck if they’d stayed in the regular line. People just pull up so close to the car in front of them that the rude driver can’t get in. I would only let them in if it looked like an accident (like if they had an out of state tag).

phoo
    Participant

plasticbags, this is what I try to do also, in the rare case I get an opportunity. However, everyone else is very happy to let them in. Look, I don’t mind if you just didn’t see the construction – I’ll be happy to let you in. But if you get up so close to the closed lane it can practically bite you then you’re just trying to get ahead of your rightful place in line. The one time I did, the guy made a big show of putting his hands up like “WTF are you doing??!” Indeed, I can see why it would be confusing when so many reward them for cutting ahead in line.

I also don’t mind letting people in who are signaling to turn right. Unfortunately, all too often, the driver who “must be turning right because I don’t see a signal on the left side of the car,” is in fact a driver who is not signaling to turn left across several lanes of traffic during rush hour. Sometimes I have to turn left during rush hour on a large busy street too, but I turn right, then turn left at the next opportunity, in a turn lane.

Ernie
    Participant

Pretty much if the other driver shows any type of hesitation I go.

Exactly, I’m the guy in the Yugo in the Portlandia bit.

Anonymous

Cate +1

Life is amazing
    Participant

An over reaction, I’ll buy that. I’ve had overreactions to things though so no fingers pointed here.
    Comparing this to zoning and rear-ending someone? They are definitely apples to oranges.
    Everyone makes stupid mistakes but I know very few people, myself included, where that fact keeps them from being annoyed with someone who has a specific way of doing something that they find to be annoying. (points if you could make sense of that sentence)

Life is amazing
    Participant

Edog +1
    Earnie – you cracked me up, reminding me of the times in my life when I’ve reacted to something then later prayed that the person I reacted to was not going to show up as my table mate at some function. Ha!

Allison W
    Participant

I knew exactly what I was doing at the time and have no regrets. Yes, it might have been one of my neighbors–but I am not afraid to stand behind my words and actions.

Little Lou Lou
    Participant

Oh, let it go Alison. enough already. How many days are you going on about this. Each and Everyone makes mistakes, some big , some small. You and the other driver included. ENOUGH!

Cate +1

phoo
    Participant

lucretia: I don’t think you got the memo. Everyone has moved on from bagging on Allison to telling their pet peeves. This forum is not a place for picking on anyone.

Pdaddymom
    Participant

You actually flipped someone off for being overly courteous? Which is what they were doing, rightly or wrongly. :-(

saffythepook
    Participant

Yes. Yes she did.

Allison W
    Participant

It’s no longer courtesy when another motorist is imploring you to break traffic laws so they can feel a little better about themselves.

Edog
    Participant

So you choose to assault them? Ok ok I know it was the heat of the moment, but no need to double down and poor behavior. (see Alli I knocked you down, but set you up as well. Your next post writes itself its win-win)

phoo
    Participant

Alright, everyone to their separate corners. I know Allison is a popular to bag on (and she can make it tempting), but people’s tendencies to bash on someone who posts has cost us so much of our forum diversity and driven so many people away. She did not start a fight with someone in this thread, so knock it off folks.

I also agree that this particular incident involved more than just over-politeness. This form of over-politeness could lead to a misunderstanding that could easily lead to an accident. And for the waved on party (who did not have the right of way) to be found at fault because of the other person’s behaviour. I don’t think it’s the worst thing in the world, but I also don’t think it’s an OK behaviour. I don’t think it warranted flipping them the bird, but that’s not a crime either.

Edog: quit baiting.

Cate
    Participant

What phoo said.

pennygirl
    Participant

Alli – if you are going to give someone the finger, don’t post it here of all places. You know what will happen. Everyone else, whatever/shut the fuck up/look to yourselves.

great idea
    Participant

“Everyone else, whatever/shut the fuck up”

aye, aye, onederfullone v.2.0

I think alli knew full well what to expect from posting her antics here.

pennygirl
    Participant

It was you that STFU was aimed at. You are so easy. Now GTS.

As for comparing me to 1der, I am one of the most liberal people here, you small minded person.

great idea
    Participant

so you were “aiming” your STFU at me even though I hadn’t commented on this thread in three days and there were 15 posts since my last one.

I don’t really care about your political leanings, but your foul-mouth, meaningless rants are sure reminiscent of someone who also added no value to this forum.

I’m this close to reporting you for your stalking tendencies.

pennygirl
    Participant

That might be the funniest thing I have ever read here. Go ahead.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.