What does this mean?

Home Forums Open forum What does this mean?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Rondi Susort 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Cate
    Participant

Each week on the frontpage of MyBallard they publish the list of subdivision applications and approvals. Often included, when the parcel is being subdivided into two or three parcels is the phrase ” Development standards will be applied to the original parcel and not to each of the new unit lots.” What does this mean? That they can only have one unit on the lot? That they are approving development of the original parcel and they will rule on developing the newly created parcels later? I think they are approving (well beginning the process of approving) new denser construction but am not certain.

Anonymous

Closet thing I could find to an answer:

Title 23 – LAND USE CODE
    Subtitle II. – Platting Requirements
    Chapter 23.22 – SUBDIVISIONS
    SubChapter VI – Design and Construction Standards

[]

D. Special Exception. The Director’s recommendation on a proposed subdivision, as a Type II special exception decision, may modify the standards of subsection 23.22.100.C.3, if the applicant demonstrates that the proposed plat meets the following criteria:

[]

2. Modification of the standards of subsection 23.22.100.C.3 shall be the minimum necessary to allow platting of lots that each contain a building area for development meeting the development standards of the zone in which the proposed plat is located.

Source

great idea
    Participant

gee, thanks for clearing that up racer ;)

I am not positive Cate, but I think it means the regular setbacks and lot coverage of the original zoning must be obeyed.

someone can certainly explain it better than me and racer.

Quercus
    Participant

It means that development code standards (yard setbacks, height limits, area limitations, impervious surface areas, etc) are applied to the original large lot, not to each individual smaller lot. Essentially it means townhouse, where a developer builds one building with three or four units, then legally divides the lot so that each unit can be sold separately.

Cate
    Participant

Quercus and all – Thank you. It seems that there are several applications each week in the Ballard area that this apples to.

Richy
    Participant

Apple pie … mmmmmm

Cate
    Participant

:)

Rondi Susort
    Participant

The following is an explanation from an architect who is involved in CBRA:

Generally speaking they always subplat before they apply for building permit. If not, they have too much area and have to go thru Design Review, and subject their grandioseness (is that a word) to the neighbors criticism.

The AFTER subplat you refer to is dividing the land units into individual condominium units of ownership.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.