Where did everyone go?

Home Forums Open forum Where did everyone go?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Aunt Salad 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

VeganBiker
    Participant

Just wondering?
    The “Missing Link” is still a topic if anyone is willing to discuss it.

IT NEEDS TO BE COMPLETED!

Chris
    Participant

Everyone appears to have gone to NextDoor, because the interface seems to work for more than three minutes, to answer your first question.

To answer your implied second question, Seattle’s politics are such that it getting anything substantial done in less time than your average Ice Age is effectively impossible. I remember hearing about this problem back in 2000 or 2001.

As a comparison, if you are not a conspiracy theorist (if you are, you’re welcome to join in, but you’ll probably be drowned out by sciency-types), it only took from 1961-1969 for someone to announce that we were going to the moon, and a (comparatively) short time later, people walked on the moon. This problem is solvable in a vacuum. It is not solvable within the context of Seattle growing up.

NWCitizen
    Participant

YES! I agree that the Missing Link needs to be completed. I think it is unconscionable that a few businesses have been allowed to prevent the approved, designed and fully funded project from moving forward.

It seems obvious to me that the main concern of those businesses was the loss of free parking along Shilshole if the trail were built along the RR right of way. Somehow I doubt the loss of free parking was included as one of the reasons for the repeated appeals.

There’s no doubt that parking is at a premium in Ballard but I lay the reason for that at the feet of developers and the City for not being willing to pay for the infrastructure, including necessary parking, that comes along with more people arriving in our community.

Conversely, the potential loss of parking on NW 57th was one of the reasons used to oppose the Ballard Urban Rest Stop. Somehow I doubt that was the real reason for the appeals. Folks are afraid to say that the real reason for opposing social services is that they are opposed to poor people especially those who are homeless in proximity to where they live. That would be more honest.

NWCitizen
    Participant

If the good conversations are on Next Door Media, how does one get on there?

When I search for “Next Door Media” all I find are links that take me back to this site.

VeganBiker
    Participant

NWCitizen – here is the web site, I believe you can sign up there.
    But I just sent you an invite to a comcast email address that I have for you, I hope that is OK.
    :)

VeganBiker
    Participant

Ops..forgot the address.

https://ballard.nextdoor.com

pennygirl
    Participant

Siwmae, VB! How are you?

VeganBiker
    Participant

pg – da iawn diolch, sut wyt ti cariad…

Rudy
    Participant

Hey VB, most are still lurking, but far less frequent as you can see by how often posts are updated here. :)

NWCitizen
    Participant

Thanks VB!

phoo
    Participant

Between health issues and looking for work, I’ve kinda disappeared.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I have been going to Reddit Seattle instead since there is a lot more info and activity. They also have a Reddit Ballard but it isn’t very active and the Seattle forum cover Ballard.

Mondoman
    Participant

Figured I’d say “hi”, too! Hello everyone!

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

I’m here

just been busy with life, mostly being out of town lately. Hope to actually stay put once July gets here

as for NextDoor, I am on there but don’t see much there as I seem to not be able to access all the neighborhoods I’d like to because they aren’t close enough to me, how Whitter Heights among others is not close to Sunset Hill or North Beach I don’t know.

lakreitz
    Participant

I moved to Long Beach, CA. There is a faint vibe to LB that reminds me of old Ballard – not glam and proud of it. However, unlike Ballard, this place is covered in well-marked bike paths and a second beach path was added to safely accommodate bikes and people

There are a two Ballard-centered facebook closed groups that have a few familiar faces in them – Buy Nothing – Ballard and Ballard Community Building.

jj
    Participant

I have some issues with Nextdoor that I haven’t gotten over yet. It just seems to be very unnecessarily elaborate for a neighborhood message board, and sometimes I feel it’s encouraging an unhealthy gossip mentality.

I’ve been lurking around the r/seattle on reddit, and I’ve been wishing more people would post on r/ballard. Reddit has their own problems, especially r/seattle, but their forum is more stable than this one. I wish myballard would just farm out the forum to reddit already.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Well I am glad that you are all here, “lurking” or otherwise. :)
    I’ll keep looking out for Ballard related topics that we could all talk about.

Crownhiller
    Participant

We also serve who sit and lurk? ;o)

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

If anyone is interested we can get this forum moving http://www.reddit.com/r/Ballard/. Seattle Reddit alone has over 70,000 members

PlantLover
    Participant

I check in from time to time, but there is not a lot going on. I am on NextDoor, but haven’t gotten that interested. Haven’t tried Reddit. I have enough ways to avoid work….

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Hi, I lurk but am seldom interested in writing :)

VeganBiker
    Participant

SmartsyArtsy – I would be interested in ready anything that you might write… :)

Woof!

Aunt Salad
    Participant

Howdy everyone! I am here occasionally viewing posts and seeing some familiar folks on Next Door. Trying to keep the veggies watered in this heat! Stay cool everyone!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.