Whitman Middle School – Opinions?

Home Forums Open forum Whitman Middle School – Opinions?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Angeline 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

DDF
    Participant

Thinking about whether or not to send my kid to this school. I’d love opinions from folks who have experience with Whitman.

briarrose
    Participant

A truly wretched school. Totally run and controlled by the Blue Ridge yuppie moms.

Angeline
    Participant

Those darn yuppie moms, always out there raising money for the music program and organizing the after school tutoring. Why can’t they just get a job?

phoo
    Participant

If she’s a yuppie, she’s already got a job outside of caring for the kids (if she’s even got kids): “Young Upwardly-mobile Professional.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuppie

And for a fun compare/contrast of the new residents of Ballard: http://citizenmag.com/2013/03/22/the-yuppie-handbook/

oldguybc
    Participant

Remember it as being a pretty nice golf course once…

Angeline
    Participant

I’m busted, Phoo. Your infographic reveals all: I’m yuppie to the core. If only I had the high salary to support my predilection. But my kids never attended Whitman, so I guess my love of sashimi and smoked mozzarella is irrelevant here. Also, I’ve misplaced my Sony Walkman and can no longer fit into my Ralph Lauren (knockoff) suit.

phoo
    Participant

Hehe, we’ll have to make up a new bar for the new yuppies. Sony Walkmans and sushi may have been exotic in the 80s, but now cassettes are dead and at least half the population enjoys some form of sushi (even if there’s not raw fish in it).

I think the written definition is better. I think the “DINKY” acronym (reported by Wikipedia to have been used in the UK) was more illustrative: Dual-Income No Kids (Yet). These are not folks that are forced to have two incomes to make ends meet, but more in the pursuit of money (and perhaps social status).

Dianne
    Participant

Hi DDF – sorry no one really answered your question about Whitman. I had two kids attend Whitman and they did just fine. Middle school is tough to get excited about – and I don’t know that there is a perfect one out there. It’s just an awkward time of life and you get through it. One of my friends who works at Whitman says, “learning happens here”. This is true. It may not be a pretty school and you may not love every teacher your child gets, but in looking at the big picture it’s a fine school. Teachers generally care about students, the administration cares about the teachers and the students. Is it right for your student? That is up to you and your child. And the “yuppie moms” are a huge help in making the school a nicer place to be. Good luck with your decision!

Angeline
    Participant

Thanks, Dianne! I am relieved someone answered. I had one kid attend McClure, and another went through Hamilton. Here’s what I learned about middle school from those experiences: Your Mileage May Vary.

For example: we hated McClure (and left partway through for a private school). Other families liked it just fine, or also hated it but stuck it out, or felt it was overall a good place despite a few warts, etc. We LOVED Hamilton. Other families felt it was too snooty, impersonal, too challenging, not challenging enough, etc. In short, everyone seemed to experience it differently.

And frankly, at both schools it was a central corps of rather yuppie parents who were propelling most of the good stuff going on beyond basic teaching.

61stMama
    Participant

This is a great question — sorry there aren’t more on-target responses but I can offer a few thoughts. We have a son at Salmon Bay middle school and really like the size (about 120 kids per grade in 6th/7th/8th, so just large enough while still being personal), the geographic proximity (great for a tween to be able to walk or ride bike, rather than bus, if feasible), the social/emotional focus (organizational skills, interpersonal skills, character-building/success traits, etc), the relationships that are formed by students looping with certain core teachers for 2 years, the project-oriented curriculum, and the drama and winter enrichment (ski/snowboard!) programs. Downsides include very few foreign language electives, not the strongest math (although they seem to be on a good path to improvement), and recent leadership instability (new principal and VP this year).

Whitman is much larger and offers a more diverse array of classes but could be overwhelming for a student who isn’t ready to swim in such a big pond or one who might be distracted by the greater options for negative influences. The sports teams are competitive so some kids might not make the cut to be on a school team and may need to find other rec sport opportunities outside of school. Hope this is helpful.

Angeline
    Participant

On the size thing, music program is another thing to consider. That’s something we gave up when we switched my eldest to a small private school, and we didn’t realize what a huge loss it would be. He was able to get back into it for high school, but we had to really work to keep up the music opportunities — it is so much easier to just have it happen at school. I saw the Whitman orchestra perform recently and they seem to be doing well. I had heard complaints about the orchestra program quality a few years ago, and from what I could see the school is working to improve in that quarter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.