$15 minimum wage is happening.

Home Forums Open forum $15 minimum wage is happening.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  briarrose 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

phoo
    Participant

Heh, by the time they get to $15 seven years from now, a livable wage will be $20 per hour. Waiting 7 year guts it.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

Yeah, was wondering about that. There aren’t too many details but it says the higher wages will be “phased in.” Also, businesses with more than 500 employees (like mine) will only have 3 years to increase.

I wonder how the increase will affect people who are making more than minimum. Maybe everyone gets increased a little bit?

plasticbags
    Participant

The phase-in seems like the best option. I agree that minimum wage should go up but I don’t think it needs to be a living wage. I would be interested to hear some examples of what minimum wage jobs people have that they are unable to move up in because I don’t actually know anyone who has been in that situation. My friends and I got jobs in high school and by 16 we were all making well above minimum wage. These were grocery, fast food, and retail jobs- none of which we had any special family connections to. (This was during the economic downturn post 9-11). The adults I worked with who were in the same entry-level position as me would not show up when scheduled, not complete all of the required tasks, or not do the required tasks correctly. Needless to say, they did not receive raises and ended up bouncing from job to job.

So I guess my question is, have the times just completely changed where you simply can’t move up through hard work in any grocery, fast food, or retail job? Are there really a high number of people out there who have the drive and skill to be the store manager instead of the burger flipper but no one will promote them? Or is the argument that by showing up for any job (regardless of what it is and whether you do it correctly or not) entitles you to have enough money to cover all of your bills?

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@plasticbags: No, we don’t live in a world where everyone can just move up if they try really hard.

Also, what if people in entry level jobs just really like their jobs? I mean, what if they don’t want to move up? Shouldn’t they still be paid a living wage?

Just found this:

GAM
    Participant

I’m disappointed for two reasons that tipped income is not being included when calculating earnings.

First, if it’s good enough to be reported on a W-2, it should be good enough for this.

Second, by not including it, tipped employees will make out far better than non-tipped employees, and I suspect as a class the non-tipped workers are struggling harder (yes, yes, there are exceptions to everything, and those can be addressed. I mean this overall). It strikes me as a little shameful that a movement to bring some equity is so…inequitable.

Or am I missing something?

briarrose
    Participant

Yes plastic times have completely changed and yes if you work you should be able to cover your bills. Why on earth does that offend you?

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@GAM: I think we should completely do away with tipping here. In France, the tip and tax is just included in the menu price. That makes sense to me.

Also, tipping never made sense to me. If I am at a restaurant and a person is serving me, shouldn’t that person get paid a fixed amount for doing his/her job rather than getting paid an amount that is based on what I thought of him/her?

GAM
    Participant

Jimmy-

We already often have an auto-gratuity for large parties, and that seems to work fine. I’d be fine either way. While I’ve always had good service in France, the argument is that tipping essentially individualizes the compensation, inspiring servers to do great work. I’m not sure that’s the only way to inspire them.

Regardless, until we do such a thing, we should not stick our head in the sand and ignore the tips people are earning now. We will never come up with a good solution if we don’t allow ourselves to consider all the variables.

briarrose
    Participant

Pay $15 and tip of you want is a perfectly good solution. Is it forbidden to make MORE than $15? Also NO reporting of tips please.

Nora Bell
    Participant

I’ve never understood tipping being part of the wage. Tipping is too unpredictable for that. I know a person who never tips over 10% for any level of service.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@GAM: I understand that tipping is supposed to inspire good service but good service does not guarantee a good tip. Some people are just terrible tippers.
    I used to date a girl with a racist dad and he didn’t tip African Americans. Their paychecks were reduced because he happened to be sitting at the table they were serving. Some people are racist, sexist, oldist (is that a thing?) or just shitty.

I don’t agree that people need a tip to do well at their job. I was at the Target in Northgate the other day and the cashier was supercool and very helpful. She wasn’t doing it for a tip.

In my line of work i come across shitty people sometimes but I don’t get paid less because of it.

briarrose
    Participant

Well Jimmy you know how so many here want a waitress or waiter or sales clerk to be their friend. Lots of whining over that on this site.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement