17th Ave NW and NW Dock Pl Greenway changes

Home Forums Open forum 17th Ave NW and NW Dock Pl Greenway changes

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  SunsetHillGuy 5 years ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Mondoman
    Participant

The newly-installed bollards and redirection aren’t working well.
    According to SDOT, “SDOT’s contractor painted lines and installed flexible bollards on the east side of the intersection at 17th Ave NW and NW Dock Pl to calm traffic and create a new public space. Based on traffic observations and public feedback, SDOT is considering a new design for this intersection and would like your input. ”

A normal DOT would provide an email/phone number for comment — not SDOT! Their input plan involves showing up at the intersection to play a game !?!
    ” How to get involved and provide input:
    Attend an on-site event
    When: Saturday, October 10, 4 to 6 PM
    Where: 17th Ave NW and NW Dock Pl
    Why: To learn more about intersection designs and future plans for the new public space
    What: Street Scrabble Tournament! To play, email StreetScrabble@seattle.gov

There is a general phone and email for the project:
    BallardGreenway@seattle.gov
    (206) 684-4747

Salmon Bay
    Participant

That intersection is a mess. I am always flabbergasted at just how incompetent SDOT is with these types of designs and infrastructure implementation.
    I’m still trying to figure out what their harebrained plan is for 57th by the Post Office. Some type of barrier to prevent northbound traffic on 17th Ave. from 57th St., so that cars can pull up to the post box southbound on the east side of the street? Won’t that have the cars crossing the greenway to get to the box?
    I might have to ride down there on Saturday to see what’s up. I also want to ask SDOT when they are going to do something, anything, to make travelling over the Ballard Bridge by bicycle better. Like fixing the heaved sidewalks and potholes.

Mondoman
    Participant

Re: 57th by the Post Office
    Looking at the paint outline and talking with them, the idea seems to be to install a small island blocking cars from heading north on 17th Ave, with a gap allowing bikes to head north between the island and sidewalk. This is supposed to be similar to the small island on NW58th St on the east side of its intersection with 15th Ave.
    (see photo at http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/ballardgreenway.htm )

Mondoman
    Participant

I’m also becoming concerned about safety at the crossing of Leary Way. Currently, it’s planned to be at Dock Place & Leary, just west of the curve in the read (at 17th). I’m worried that with the curve there as well as the north roadside between 17th and Dock Pl often full of parked cars, cars heading west on Leary will have difficulty spotting road-crossers in time to stop for them. Perhaps making the crossing at 17th would have better sightlines for traffic going either way on Leary?

Salmon Bay
    Participant

I understand where they are putting the island at 57th; I just don’t get the plan. They say “Partial closure at northeast corner to improve post office box drop-off access and reduce cut-through traffic.” But the drop off box is on the east side of the street. So cars would be driving southbound and crossing the greenway over to the east side to drop off their mail?
    I think the crossing at Leary will have a full stop light, so it should be pretty safe. The 17th and Leary and 48th intersection is just a big mess, and after seeing SDOT’s treatment of 17th and Dock, I can’t imagine them getting 17th, Leary and 48th even remotely right.

Mondoman
    Participant

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “crossing the greenway” in this case, since cars and bikes are sharing the (narrow) road. Since most mail dropoffs are from the driver’s side, southbound cars would pull over to the curb mailbox on the east side, then pull over to the right(west) to continue south and exit the block. I suggested that they just make that block one-way southward for cars; maybe that would be too confusing.

Now that I think about it, maybe they’re planning on moving the mailbox onto the island — that would fix the issues above. I’ll try to find out. I hope you’re right about a new stop light on Leary — I assumed it would just be one of those super-flashing crosswalks.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

If I’m on the greenway heading north on my bicycle, and a car coming southbound vears to the eastern edge of the road to drop off a letter in the box, they will be cutting right in front of me, going the wrong way. That’s not safe. That’s what I don’t get; is that really the plan?

Catherine
    Participant

Salmon Bay – that’s exactly the comment a bunch of people gave the project team before they started – looks like the project continued on without a change in that area. No, the plan so far hasn’t been for the mailbox to go on the island which was suggest before too. Please submit comments/go participate in feedback.

Leary is it’s whole own set of challenges too. The team needs to hear from the community!

Crownhiller
    Participant

Wow – that Post office thing is truly backwards – moving the mailbox to the Island would seem logical – but then “logic” and “SDOT” don’t seem to go together very much ;)

Mondoman
    Participant

I talked with a rep for the Greenway project today — she said that the project has no control over where the mailbox goes, since that’s Postal Service property. IIRC, she said the Postal Service may even move it to NW 57th St !?!

SB – thanks for clarifying! Yes, that’s the current plan — bikes head-on with cars.

Mondoman
    Participant

Catherine, you said “Please submit comments/go participate in feedback.” Is there a feedback page for the project, or did you just mean the BallardGreenway@seattle.gov email address?

Crownhiller
    Participant

That appears to be the main avenue of contact Mondo – though there is also a project manager listed as well

Project Outreach Team
    BallardGreenway@seattle.gov
    206-684-4747.

CJ Holt
    Project Manager
    cj.holt@seattle.gov
    206-233-1556

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Wherever the postal box goes, it should be in a place that someone can drive up to it to make deposits from the driver’s side window WITHOUT driving the wrong was on the other side of the street.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

bikes head on with cars in front of the post office? really? I admit I was confused before about the island there but now i’m just dumbfounded.

and move the box to 57th? sure why not and then probably remove what little parking there is for the post office too.

really no matter what it all sounds bad.

saffythepook
    Participant

Good lord, this is classic Seattle. How about a second box on the other side of the street so drivers/bikers/peds can mail letters no matter which direction they approach from? Is it really so hard?

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

I doubt the Post Office will install a second box when the Post Office has been removing boxes off the streets for the last 6-8 years. I had a fight with them over a box they took away from outside my old job and was informed it wouldn’t be coming back even though it was heavily used by the office building. I was told they made a policy of getting rid of at least 50% of street boxes at that time.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement