18 chickens at the animal shelter…

Home Forums Open forum 18 chickens at the animal shelter…

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  PlantLover 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Miss Julie
    Participant

Goodness! There were two when I was there this weekend. A number of people must have thrown in the towel on their urban coops at the same time.

If anyone could use an extra chicken or two in their coops, check out the animal shelter!

There’s a critter adoption event on Saturday if you want to check them out.

Nora Bell
    Participant

People following a trend figure out taking care of chickens is hard and messy work?

Miss Julie
    Participant

Who knew? Chickens poop and wander around! Go figure.

Novalis
    Participant

Maybe it was the cold weather a few weeks ago.

BITOA
    Participant

What a drag, I love poultry. And the numbers do not lie, I did the math it is still cheaper to buy chicken at Fred Myer

mollyo
    Participant

Hm, they’re not listed on the website. Keeping chickens isn’t hard or messy. They’re much easier than dogs or cats. I would bet some people had to move and couldn’t take their chickens. Fewer and fewer backyards in Ballard these days with all the new development.

Miss Julie
    Participant

The website isn’t always up to date. I foster critters so I had an email from the shelter because they now have limited space for critters at the shelter.

Avocado Head
    Participant

Read that there is a growing problem with abandoned urban chickens. Maybe we will get feral flocks roaming Ballard.

I remember the wild chickens in Hawaii, and was pretty freaked out when I saw them eating leftover food… at a chicken joint.

-Avocado

AprilJoy Greenwell
    Participant

That’s the first thing I thought when you said “feral flocks roaming Ballard” = Hawaii!

I wouldn’t mind actually. They eat bugs and spiders and all and nothing wrong with that!

robert
    Participant

The chickens, all hens, 11 of them, are being held for “safekeeping”. They were abandoned at a house in South Seattle. The chickens will be available for adoption, pending no claims Saturday, 1/18. They might be posted on the ROMPS site, the missing pets site that the Seattle Animal Shelter hosts. https://web1.seattle.gov/dea/romps/

The Shelter is open 12-6pm Wednesday-Sunday.

briarrose
    Participant

I thought this was an invitation to a fried chicken picnic

Angeline
    Participant

I don’t think chances of wild chickens are too good around here. Raccoons and coyotes love the idea, but it will be a short party.

Miss Julie
    Participant

I peeked at the chickens this morning, they are all lovely ladies who need a new home ASAP!

owlsinsomnia
    Participant

There are actually a bunch of free roaming chickens off the Sammamish River Trail. They have been there for years. They are mostly roosters, so I imagine they were dumped when their former owners discovered they hadn’t come home with the hen they thought they had.
    :(

PlantLover
    Participant

Yes, I have seen the ones on the Trail. I think they are a self-perpetuating colony, so there must be a hen or two around there! They have been there for many years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement