A front door

Home Forums Open forum A front door

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Angeline 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

gracie
    Participant

I am seriously considering replacing my front door. It’s the original door of a house built in 1930. It has a window at top with 8 panes, lined with what I presume is lead. It has seen better days with multiple layers of paint on it. I dig the color.
    Is there somewhere that sells used doors? New ones are pretty pricey, I’ve discovered.
    Thinking new door might spice up appearance of front of house. Still haven’t decided if I want one with a window in it or not.

Rudy
    Participant

If you really like the door, it might be worth the effort to strip the paint and re-finish it instead of getting another used one. You’ll spend the same amount of time fitting the “new” one as you would fixing the existing one.

Dawged
    Participant

The RE Store just south of Market, east of 15th, carries salvaged building materials. I’m sure they have doors. The couple of times I’ve been in, they’ve been very helpful and accommodating.

gracie
    Participant

Rudy – Is that something I could do? (as you can tell I’m not too up on these kinds of things). Couple of years ago I was trying to get the perfect red on my door. First color turned hot orange looking, next layer hot pink tones. Was buying paint at Fred Myers and returned each of these colors. Salesman said “confidentially, don’t buy paint here. And told me to go to different store. It’s on 14th and Market and name has left me. There I finally got the perfect red.
    What was kind of funny – as I’m painting various colors my neighbor’s adult daughter, across from me, is taking this all in. I could hear her “Oh god Mother, now she is painting it hot pink.” Just because of her and the snooping all the time I was tempted to leave it like that for a few days and say final color. But I couldn’t live with it.

VeganBiker
    Participant

gracie – I have also heard that to replace just the door in an older house can be a lot of work due to the dimensions of the door and fitting into the existing frame, it is often easier to replace the door and the frame together. Just a thought.

Apple
    Participant

Stripping paint and refinishing is pretty easy, especially on big flat surfaces like doors and table tops. Go to that paint store on 14th, I think you are talking about Sherman Williams, or Daly’s in Wallingford, and tell them what you want to do. They have lots of heavy duty paint stripping chemicals. Spread, wait, scrape, steel wool, sand, repeat. Simple but mind numbing and time consuming. Probably a project you should wait until summertime to do since you wont have a front door while you do it. Good luck.

Mondoman
    Participant

There was a recent Ask This Old House episode about replacing a front door on a 100 year oldish Seattle Craftsman. They also made the point about installing a pre-hung door to simplify things a lot.

gracie
    Participant

Okay, this sounds like I will be stripping and refinishing…this summer. While I have your attention!!!! – my back door is not a typical in width. It is like 30 inch wide. The original storm door back there got destroyed and every storm door, screen door I have found is 32″.
    Is there some place in this area that sells 30″ screen doors? That door is original and would love to replace it but looks like another sanding project for me.

Oly
    Participant

Paint stores in Ballard
    Parker Paints 14th and Market Good
    Sherwin Williams between 15th and 14th on Leary Better
    Miller 15th and Leary on West side of Bridge approach Best
    Fred Myer, don’t bother

Doors
    Franks Lumber (the door store) North City
    Builders Hardware on Elliott by Magnolia Bridge

Wood Screen Doors
    There is a place on 8th next to the sandwich shop around 67th? Can’t recall the
    name.

New screens for screen doors
    I like Crown Hill hardware, they are fast, reasonable prices and do great work.

If the door is in good shape I would strip the paint with a heat gun, sand, primer and repaint. Pick a warm dry day, remove door and hardware leave the hinges on. This wood be a good time to update door locks. By high quality primer and paint. Use semi gloss or gloss for easy cleaning.

gracie
    Participant

Floyd – thanks! I was actually looking for more like a storm door that I could prop open (pet door in door). And yep, the lock in front door really needs replacing. Good idea. Definitely going to be a summer project.

ladybuk
    Participant

Gracie, I love your nosey neighbor story!

Angeline
    Participant

Gracie, if you buy a vintage door at Restore or Second Use, you can have it hung in a frame by Frank’s Doors or by Pacific Iron. I’ve talked to several handyman types, and each one is of the opinion that one of those places does the hanging very well and to other is completely unreliable … but which store is good/bad varies! We decided on Pacific Iron after seeing their good work in our neighbor’s remodel, but then found the perfect brand new prehung door in Frank’s clearance section, so ended up buying there. We love the door and installation was seamless by an experienced handyman.

Second Use has their whole inventory online so you can search for your door at home in your jammies. Frank’s Doors’ clearance section is online too.

A good place to look for a new lock is the clearance section of Builders Hardware on Elliott. But we ended up buying ours at Home Depot. We needed a certain brand so it could be keyed the same as our front door (the locks don’t have to be the same brand, but not every brand’s key can be matched to every other brand).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement