Alleged Bank Robber Worked in Ballard

Home Forums Open forum Alleged Bank Robber Worked in Ballard

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Rudy 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Ernie
    Participant

at Walrus and the Carpenter. Weird and sad.

Alleged bank robber ID’d as chef; police describe deadly encounter

Miss Wahoo
    Participant

I just read that, Ernie. I agree, it’s very sad.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

I wonder what put this deed in action. He sounds like he had options for a good career. Yes, very sad, but I am sick of the police killings. I always wonder why they don’t just shoot a leg or arm (with gun).

gracie
    Participant

Shooting in the leg and especially the arm doesn’t always stop the person advancing on you. It could possibly enrage the person all the more.
    It is amazing how few feet between a person with a knife lunging/coming at you and a person with a gun – for that person to draw their gun and fire. Before can get gun drawn that person potentially could stab you.
    I just think personally if you feel your life is endangered – that a person with a knife is lunging at you would you shoot in the leg or arm? No, you want to stop this person.
    I, too, wonder what prompted this guy to go to such lengths to pull a bank robbery – probably will never know.

phoo
    Participant

Yes, if someone is advancing on you with a knife, shooting is appropriate. We also only have the officer’s testimony that he was advancing. We know from many SPD acts in the past that their testimony is often far from unimpeachable. I’m not saying this officer lied, just that I don’t take their word as gospel. I would actually believe a random witness more because they aren’t involved.

gracie
    Participant

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/SPD-releases-new-pics-details-in-fatal-shooting-of-robbery-suspect-253968881.html?tab=video&c=y

phoo, I was in a class once where a scenario, unknown to us, had been set up where a person entered the classroom, yelled something & left. We were all to give our statement – and NONE of us were correct. We all saw something different. Some said he had a gun – some say he didn’t. Amazing what we focus on.

great idea
    Participant

I would just like to see some story where the police actually do shoot the guy in the arm or leg. too often they just finish them off.
    those guns they have are semi-automatic, right? if the enraged knife-wielding suspect advanced, I would think they could just continue pumping rounds into the suspect’s body.
    this is really sad.

GAM
    Participant

Can anyone tell me why a tazer wouldn’t have been a better choice than a gun? This seems to be an ideal situation for one, but I’m only an armchair critic.

Mondoman
    Participant

Definitely a very sad outcome. Regarding shooting an arm or a leg, those are pretty small targets and tend to move around more than does the larger torso.

Ernie
    Participant

GAM, according to the KOMO article linked in Gracie’s post, tazers were on the way, but it went down too quick for them to be used.

As the detective worked to get the man to drop the knife, other officers with Tasers were called to the scene. But before those officers could get there, police say the suspect ran toward the detective with the knife. The man got to within 15 feet of the detective when the detective fired multiple shots from a rifle, striking the suspect.

Sounds to me like suicide by cop.

phoo
    Participant

Wow. Every cop is armed with a deadly weapon but not a less-than-lethal weapon. OTOH, tasers can sometimes be abused and of course than can kill or cause serious damage when used improperly. Some officers (in general, not specifically Seattle) will use a taser more as a torture device because it doesn’t generate the same reports or investigation as a firearm. There’s just no good answers but it is certainly a shame they didn’t have a taser on them. But if he wanted to die, he’s out of the misery that he was in. Putting him jail wouldn’t have helped him.

Rudy
    Participant

Tasers don’t always stop people in their tracks so if someone was charging you with a weapon and you tased them, there is a likelihood that they could still continue with their attack. As for shooting a much smaller target like an arm or a leg, there’s simply too much room for error and collateral damage there.

Either way, tragic ending to a bizarre series of events.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.