Ballard Azteca closing

Home Forums Open forum Ballard Azteca closing

This topic contains 34 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  saffythepook 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

after almost 40 years the Ballard Azteca is closing at the end of the month. Apparently the landlord jacked up the rent and Azteca corporate said no way so they’re closing their doors. Makes me sad because I remember my great Uncle taking my mother & I there when he would come to town to visit back in the 70s & 80s. while the food wasn’t always the best it was a common place to meet up with friends so I will miss it.

AprilJoy Greenwell
    Participant

Bummer. It’s my sons favorite place to eat in Ballard.

GAM
    Participant

Wow! I’d always assumed they owned the building after all this time.

I remember eating there before the new (can we still call it that?) building was built, before they became a chain, and before the food became what it is now. On the other hand, I probably haven’t set foot in there in 15 years, so I haven’t really been supporting them.

I wonder if the same person owns the building Ocho is in? I smell a tear-down…

great idea
    Participant

first it was that pretty location on the waterfront by Ray’s that some rich guy bought to turn into his private, garish home, and now this!

I am outraged. we deserve more than taco del mar.

GAM
    Participant

They haven’t wiped out the Taco Time yet. But wear safety gear.

You’ll find me at La Carte de Oaxaca. Airbag optional.

Apple
    Participant

There is an Azteca in Ballard? I always forget about it, what with all the other good restaurants and all.

saffythepook
    Participant

Perhaps Ocho can expand.

For great Mexican food, La Carta is solid. Their Posole is to die for. However, the real sleeper is Sr. Moose on Leary. You can’t go wrong with practically everything on their menu and their black mole is particularly special. My only complaint about it is that it varies from merely excellent to sublime depending on the night, but I’ll happily take a 30% roll of the dice on sublime. Also, their portions are very generous.

briarrose
    Participant

Sad. Oaxaca is roach coach food at three times the price and Sr. Moose is always full of hipsters in dirty hoodies.

Nora Bell
    Participant

Sad. Not that I’ve been in there in years, but another one gone because of skyrocketing rents.
    I do love Sr Moose, but it sometimes gets too crowded.

gracie
    Participant

Get so tired of jacking up leases to where businesses have to leave. My brother & I went there all the time. His favorite place & he couldn’t speak a bit of Spanish but thought he could. The waiters loved him & because he couldn’t say the name of his beer he would just do double cross with his fingers. he would pronounce it dosi cue. Chalupas would be cholehupes and they understood. I sure miss my brother. :(

Avocado Head
    Participant

Never went, was always a bit put off by the facade… It just looks like a place surviving on momentum.

Carta is really good, but too expensive for me to justify. The Moose can be incredibly delicious, but the wait to get in can be a killer, and despite generous portion sizes it ain’t exactly cheap either. (And they really need to take a weekend, hire a couple of handy-persons, and fix the joint up a bit… the bathrooms are funky as hell!) Taco Time… Tried it once and I don’t even know what that is. Tried a 3.5 star joint from yelp that was utterly depressing and the food was… well… gross.

Used to live in the San Francisco bay area, and one of the things I surely miss is dirt cheap, super tasty Mexican / Latin food in the Mission District. Still looking for a go-to place around Ballard!

-Avocado

SEdholm
    Participant

First restaurant my fiance and I went to upon moving into our apartment. Never been back since. So a bit of sadness since it has that memory, but it IS Azteca so food wise I couldn’t care less

Allison W
    Participant

BR doesn’t love CdO?

Well, I guess her tastebuds really are made of lead. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. More for me. :)

SunsetHillMarauder
    Participant

I sincerely hope that no one is forgetting El Camion.

Gnomie
    Participant

I’m not a fan of Azteca but its tough to see another business go because of rent increases. Sign of the times as I’m sure Avacodo Head is reliving Bay Area history.

Avo Head, have you tried Malena’s or Gordito’s? Malena’s has a scaled back menu but still good food. Tacos are only $2.65 or $34 Pesos (now that’s authentic).
    If the dept of health and the USDA would back off a bit I’m certain we would see Quesadilla’s in the park (or town square).
    file this under be careful what you ask for.

Hijack – I totally could see a new band called the Dirty Hoodie Hipsters!!!

Angeline
    Participant

If you are looking for the Mexican place with the old school “huge plate of beans/rice/cheese” along with your equally enormous entree you should try the Michoacan at 15th and 83rd(ish). The owners are super nice (BHS graduates) and their sauces are excellent — try either the green or red mole. We do appreciate the more mod taco truck or regional Mexican cuisine, but keep coming back to the Michoacan when very hungry or wanting comfort food.

Avocado Head
    Participant

Gnomie – Yeah we hit up Gordito’s, and actually thought it was pretty good! Malena’s is on the list to try.

We were super excited for El Camion but then both the wife and I got mildly sick the first time we went there, and I got sick the second. I wonder if was the giant vats of uncovered salsa sitting by the pickup window? Never seen anyone serve salsa like that ever, lol… After I stopped using that salsa, have not had any issues. I’m a vegetarian (20+ years) and am not super wild about their “veggie” options which seem to mostly be big piles of shredded bell peppers.

We also really like Tiko Rico in Greenwood for good, honest no-frills Latin food. Yummy pupusas and I am a sucker for Plantains with black beans and crema. Closest thing we have found to the San Fran Mission experience!

-Avo

saffythepook
    Participant

Hipsters at Moose, maybe, but you’re not there so that’s a plus.

briarrose
    Participant

I like roach coach food but only fools pay high prices for it. Too many years in New Mexico has made me a bit of Mexican food snob, I admit that. I have yet to actually find a real green sauce offered anywhere in this state. All you really see is tomatillos stewed which is wretched

For Seattle style I guess Louisa’s will have to do but I will be sad I can’t walk ythere like to Azteca.

I do like Gordito’s also.

saffythepook
    Participant

Louisa’s homemade tortillas at the entrance are great but I find that the food from the kitchen is invariably disappointing.

No argument about Gordito’s. I used to live in Greenwood and was a regular there.

briarrose
    Participant

I always prefer flour tortillas so skip the ones at the door.

briarrose
    Participant

I have yet to taste a really good posole in WA. It’s the simple lack of access to real chile. Same for red or green really.

oldguybc
    Participant

Went to a Mexican restaurant in Magnolia a few years ago and I was pleasantly surprised, had a Chile Relleno and it was pretty good. Been spoiled living down here for so long where there are so many good ones, can’t for the life of me remember the name but it was a little hole- in- the- wall place in a strip mall with wooden chairs & tables.
    Oh, and last time up my nephew & his wife took me to one near five corners in Edmonds, also pretty good.

Allison W
    Participant

If you like GOOD Mexican, try El Sabor in Shoreline. Yum.

saffythepook
    Participant

If you can bear to enter, try the Posole at CdO. You might be surprised.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.