Ballard Commons Police Activity

Home Forums Open forum Ballard Commons Police Activity

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  earldanger 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

gracie
    Participant

Heard there was an assault possibly with knife in Ballard Commons. Police are there taping off area.
    I read, or heard (can’t remember which) of some transient type guy hanging around there for last few weeks instigating fights and has a knife. I sure hope he is found.
    This angers me that this park can’t be safe for people to enjoy.

Cate
    Participant

A tweet from SPD that was re-tweeted by Michael Hawthorne of KOMO reports that at 2:21 p.m. there was a report of a male suspect stabbing a male victim. The victim has been transported to Harborview. I read that and was just checking here to see if anybody else knew anything.
    I can see that police are still present at the commons.
    EDITED to add: The SPD blotter just reported that they have a suspect in custody and that the injuries are not life-threatening.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Thanks, Cate. That happened just as I drove around there but I didn’t know what it was. Wow, I had been there with Lillie 10 min before.

gracie
    Participant

That’s what makes me angry. Here you are there, Smartsy, with Lillie I would assume to enjoy this day – and this stuff goes on. It has been happening way too often there. I don’t even want to go to the library anymore – and certainly would never use their restrooms.

Edog
    Participant

I was at the library with weedog last night, and let him pee in their restroom just last Sunday.

And even with the stabbing, Ballard is better than living in Suburban Cincinnati.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

I had to get to an appt at 2:30 which is how I ended up driving by just as it happened. Otherwise I probably would have stayed there and sat in the sun for while.

pennygirl
    Participant

Someone was shot to death in the FM (85th) parking lot a couple of days ago. Are we concerned when it isn’t Ballard?

Smells Fishy
    Participant

I’m sure everyone cares. Why would you ask? We used to live nearby and it was rough. I just looked into it and wow so sorry for his family. Terribly scary for all who live and work there. I won’t lie, though, I am glad sweetie and I don’t live nearby anymore.

Allison W
    Participant

That’s certainly creepy.

Cate
    Participant

PG – I guess because I can see the Commons from where I live, and I heard the emergency vehicles as they arrived, this event seems more personally involving to me. But yes, the death at FM is very tragic.

Bean Dogger
    Participant

The situation in the Ballard Commons Park is beyond ridiculous. The drinking, fighting, public urinating, sleeping in the bushes and general BS must stop. The park is for all citizens not just drunks. SPD needs to clean up this mess or put a chain link fence around the entire park.

gracie
    Participant

Too bad there isn’t funding somewhere to have security guard type people hanging around there. Or maybe we need that guy who called himself Phoenix that dressed up in the red outfit to fight crime.
    There has to be some resolution – one thing is that more police officers have to be hired. And increased patrol around the area.

JM98107
    Participant

Cal Anderson park on Capitol Hill had to hire security guards because of similar problems. I am not sure how well that’s working, but there are far more crazy people on the hill than Ballard. Perhaps the Ballard Chamber of Commerce should hire one security guard to patrol on a segway scooter.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Gracie, bean dogger, do either of you use the park? I do, and it is not the den of degeneration you think it is. Sure there have been problems, but many people use the park, including parents with children, and people with dogs quite safely.

As for increased police presence, two weeks ago on the first sunny day we had had in a while, there were five cops on bikes at the park. I was told they would be around often. Never seen them since. Has anyone else?

earldanger
    Participant

I actually had to run an errand at the Bartell’s near there last night, say before 6pm, and there was a police cruiser parked nearby just scoping things out. For the record, even though there can be some unsavories there, and yes a stabbing is a bit alarming, it’s nothing compared with some of the stuff you see on the hill, downtown, etc. I work in Belltown, and lordy, Ballard is tame in comparison! That’s why we live there!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.