Ballard Goodwill = Hipster Mall

Home Forums Open forum Ballard Goodwill = Hipster Mall

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I used to really dig going to this place to junk… Goodwill, but now it seems just like the rest of Ballard, it’s become overpriced and the attitude of the workers sucks.

VeganBiker
    Participant

BH – I only go there on Wednesday, that is the 20% off day for us seniors! Lots of old folk there on that day. I love my discounts. :)

Nora Bell
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve started going to Value Village instead. You can always find someone willing to help you with something, unlike the Ballard Goodwill.

Angeline
    Participant

I’ve found the workers at Goodwill friendly and helpful enough, but I totally agree on the prices. When Ross opens I’m sure we will be able to purchase new goods locally for the same or less than Goodwill is charging. And while you can certainly still find the occasional vintage treasure hiding in Goodwill, there seems to be so much more merchandise that I recognize from Fred Meyer just a few months before. It has kind of cured me of impulse purchases at Freddies. I might want that little owl vase in the moment, but will I be able to spot it at Goodwill if I just wait a bit? Probably. If Freddies has it on the “take 50% off the clearance price” table it might cost more at Goodwill, however!

Shelley

I’ve had a love-hate relationship with that Goodwill. A couple of months back the Salvation Army opened up in the same shopping center as Central Market. So far everyone there has been helpful. VV is a little weird sometimes, but because it’s so close, it’s my goto thrift store.

Crownhiller
    Participant

Well, part of the issue w/Goodwill these days is twofold, maybe even three-fold come to think of it:
    1)Lots of vintage sellers “pick” at that Goodwill so the “good stuff” goes very very fast. Treasures still do show up there (I speak from experience ;) – but its tougher to make a good “hit” unless you really know what you are doing.

2)The “pool” of donators has, like Ballard, changed a lot – fewer established, older people, more younger, retail oriented donators.

3)Goodwill runs it’s own online selling site, and also, many of them have Ebay seller accounts these days – yet another reason why there’s fewer “finds”

I’ve never experienced them as being unhelpful to customers personally – but remember, it is a training operation, so people who work there are still LEARNING how to serve customers – which means there will always be some disparity in skill sets.

I agree that the Salvation Army up by Central Market is a nice addition – and VV is also very heavily picked by both vintage and clothing resellers, so it too is going to be hit or miss more often these days.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

I do know I have seen items from the Seattle area Goodwill locations listed on Amazon so what CH says about the finer things being harder to find is very true!!

have not yet been to the Salvation Army’s new store at Aurora Square yet in the old Ernest building, is it any good?

Ernie
    Participant

It’s Macklemore’s fault, now popping those tags is cool, not just for oldsters like VB :)

Crownhiller
    Participant

RE: Salvation Army – depends on what you are looking for – really nice for clothing I think, some treasures but they are still building up inventory. I was there one day and they were having a “buy one get one same price free” special so my husband ended up with twice as many “new” shirts to spill spaghetti sauce on ;o)

Every thrift store has a different…well…flavor and whether you like it or not depends on what you seek. We’ve made a lot of money off stuff found at both GW and VV in the last ten years but its very definitely harder to find those treasures than it used to be.

Progress has its pluses and minuses in Ballard in more ways than we imagine, eh? ;)

Shelley

Agree Crownhiller on the bell-ringer’s store about the nice clothing. It seems to move fast though.

The Deseret store on Aurora near the ice rink has lots of basic stuff at sometimes reasonable prices. My neighbor’s kid (moved out to her own apt this fall) got most of here pots and pans, flatware, utensils, a toaster oven, some basic lamps and stuff there.

My experience there: reasonable help that actually wants to help you, but you need to ask. Prices, OK. Clothes, not really hip(ster) stuff. Seems like they have a bunch of women’s clothes that are big, not so much if you’re medium or small sizes.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I refused to support Deseret Industries when I found out they are affiliated with the Mormons. The good thing is that garage sales will be starting up soon

Miss Wahoo
    Participant

When Ross opens I’m sure we will be able to purchase new goods locally for the same or less than Goodwill is charging.

Angeline, the ROSS in Ballard opened on March 6th.

Angeline
    Participant

So funny! I had no idea it was open. Will have to check it out next time I need something.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Shelley.

I checked out Salvation Army yesterday and found exactly what I was looking for. It is very clean and easy to navigate. They will also negotiate prices and seem a lot more reasonably priced.

Anonymous

I don’t have the patience to pick through the racks at Goodwill, SA or VV. The few times I have, I never find anything I like anyway. Plus, it may be my extra-sensitive sniffer, but those stores smell. Blech.

VeganBiker
    Participant

CR – I am guessing that you have never/or will ever go to the GW outlet store on 6th ave (SODO).
    I was overwhelmed there and I normally enjoy a good digging through other peoples trash! The shear volume and odor was more than I could handle.. But prices were very cheap…

Crownhiller
    Participant

More for the rest of us then ;o) – I haven’t bought a “new” clothing item from a store in years – I can afford to, but why spend more money than I need to – I’d rather spend it on other things.

Anonymous

VB, you’re right. Never been in there and probably never will go. I’ve been in the South Lake Union one, though, and don’t remember that one being stinky. Seems like it has a lot of good stuff, too.

CH, then it’s lucky for you that people buy new clothes and end up giving them to thrift stores, or there’d only be worn-out duds to buy. :)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.