Ballard = Seattle's Brooklyn?

Home Forums Open forum Ballard = Seattle's Brooklyn?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  great idea 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

so it seems the Wall Street Journal was in Seattle and did a write up on it and referred to Ballard as “Seattle’s Brooklyn”

http://online.wsj.com/articles/a-splendid-long-weekend-in-seattle-1408124990

having not been to NYC in my adult life (last time I was there was over 40 years ago as a young kid), I’m curious what comparison would you see to Ballard to another neighborhood in another city?

VeganBiker
    Participant

SHG – My daughter has lived in Brooklyn for the last few years and I visited her in March for a week. In my opinion Ballard is nothing like Brooklyn. Brooklyn is more like Seattle only more diverse and with a lot more going on all the time. Brooklyn is a big city, and I don’t get what the article was trying to compare, we don’t have an Asian district in Ballard, no Italian (Cobble Hill, Bensonhurt) or Irish or Hassidic Jewish neighborhood (Bensonhurst) or Chassidic Jews (Borough Park), Russian (Brighton Beach), West Indian (Flatbush, Flatlands), Puerto Rican, Mexican (Sunset Park) not like Ballard with a sort of Norwegian element but you really don’t see it anymore. Brooklyn has defined areas like the Sunset Park neighborhood where my daughter lives is all Puerto Rican and Mexican stores, restaurants and people and then 5- blocks away you are in a totally Asian neighborhood with blocks of Asian stores restaurants and people. Go a little bit East and you are in Israel, really, almost all the men are dressed in Hassidic clothes and all the shops are Jewish. It really is like being in many countries all at the same time and riding a bike around you really get a wonderful sense of being somewhere different and exotic. It isn’t Ballard, that is for sure.
    The only thing that might be compared possibly is the “hip” gentrification of the industrial areas, there are some micro brew pubs going in in Brooklyn that could be compared to the Ballard scene and maybe some trendy shops, and a Whole Foods down in the industrial Gownas neighborhood that is a bit like industrial Ballard only on a much larger scale.
    Anyway I like both places but there are eagles in Ballard, real Bald Eagles!

Edog
    Participant

I looked at the link. I don’t think they meant to imply Ballard is strong proxy for Brooklyn, but rather used it as a shortcut to build a vivid image readers could quickly relate to in an glib bit of brushwork.

As for the nuts and bolts of the comparison, my wife spent a lot of time in the Bronx and Queens. Her take is Seattle does not have as much “shut-the-f*ck-up-ism” as New York. Our here, its all passive. If you have a problem with your neighbor, you make a snide remark about how nice their flowers are. Out east its “Eh you shut the f*ck up with your radio before I come over and break that thing”

Laura13
    Participant

Well, we’re surrounded by water on 3 sides and connected to “the city” by a bridge, so i guess they’re spot-on….

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

She writes drivel. I didn’t take her passing remark as anything but filler. In another “article” she writes about girls reaching a “level of physical development just before age 11.” then follows with “We are talking about girls who have not learned to make change for a dollar.” LOL maybe she couldn’t do that until 20!!!

oldguybc
    Participant

VB, what is meant by the “Seattle’s Brooklyn” statement is that, like Brooklyn, people from Ballard, when asked where they are from, almost always answer Ballard instead of Seattle, just as Brooklynites never say they are from NY, always Brooklyn, just sayin’…

Edog
    Participant

I’m calling your bluff, Botanicals On Clay! If I give you a 2 dollar bill when the cheque is 1.47 how much change will you give me and what coins make up that number.

Avocado Head
    Participant

I thought it was about the amount of eye-roll inducing “fancy” facial hair per capita.

-Avo

Shelley

Edog,

“cheque”: are you Canadian?

great idea
    Participant

at least Brooklyn has those citi-bikes all over the place.

Ballard appears to be getting screwed in the bike-sharing station thingy:
    https://secure.prontocycleshare.com/en/map/

edog is not canadian, just a bit looney.

Shelley

Thanks GI, I should have picked up he said “2 dollar bill” instead of “tooney”

Edog
    Participant

Well I am kind of broad, so I could see where you would get confused, but I’m not homely enough to be Canadian.

oldguybc
    Participant

That’s cold, Edog, some of my relatives are Canadian, my mother & grandmother were born in Victoria, they were far from homely

briarrose
    Participant

Oh please edog. Seattlites are know to be homely. Also poorly dressed.

VeganBiker
    Participant

great idea – actually your comment regarding Pronto and Citibike is not accurate. Citibike in Brooklyn is concentrated in the “downtown” Brooklyn area, where my daughter lives near Sunset Park there are no Citibike stations.
    https://www.citibikenyc.com/stations
    I checked out the possibility of using Citibike while I was there and it would not have worked so I took a folding bike in a suitcast with me, that worked!
    And remember that this is just the initial roll out of the Pronto stations, there will be more to come if it is successful.
    I am assuming that that is what you are referring to with the comment ” Ballard appears to be getting screwed in the bike-sharing station thingy.”

great idea
    Participant

vb– I hope you are right about the Pronto stations expanding. It seems odd that the Burke Gilman Trail corridor wouldn’t have been part of the first wave of implementation (except the University District of course).

I was in NY earlier this summer and saw the citi-bike stations practically every block in Manhattan. I did see a few in Brooklyn, but you are right in that they are mostly along the main drag.

although Brooklyn and Ballard are not really similar, I think they both grew in a corresponding manner where (relatively) cheap property was available for young families. at some point, these areas became the ‘cool’ place to live if you were a young family, as long as you got a few chickens and shopped at the local co-op. the neighborhoods that became popular when artists and poets took residence didn’t always have amenities to raise families, which I think separates out places like B & B.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.