Big Bertha

Home Forums Open forum Big Bertha

This topic contains 31 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Cate 5 years ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author

gracie
    Participant

“Breaking news from KING5”
    The Washington State Department of Transportation announced Monday that Bertha, the machine boring the SR 99 tunnel in Seattle, will not resume digging until the end of March 2015 and that the tunnel will not open until November 2016. That’s according to Seattle Tunnel Partners.

Anyone surprised? Yeah, me neither.

Sunset Hill David
    Participant

Oh, God, now I we’ll have a year to hear Dori Monson telling us he told us so.

Edog
    Participant

This never would have happened if we had reelected Mike McGinn!

gracie
    Participant

Didn’t like Mike McGinn and not too happy with new mayor. McGinn was all for bicycles – yet when he went to an event, he had a driver with his bike in trunk. When he got within couple of blocks of event, would get bike out & ride to it – like he had gone the whole distance from his office.

Cate
    Participant

Whatever your thoughts about Mike McGinn, he earned the right to say “I told you so” on this one.

pennygirl
    Participant

Exactly Cate.

cdpenne
    Participant

But Mike caved. He said he would oppose it and then caved.

Anyway, for those of you who missed it, the future of the tunnel project was pretty clearly spelled out not only in this article from the Stranger, but in history.

Whether or not you car for the Stranger, they have the ultimate right to say “I told you so”.

From July 8, 2010… http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/what-could-possibly-go-wrong/Content?oid=4399657

AprilJoy Greenwell
    Participant

Poor Bertha. That’s a long time to be stuck in a rut.

Ernie
    Participant

Just so I can get in on the “I told you so” action, my prediction is that all the pumping and dewatering that they are going to need to do to keep the work pit dry is probably going to cause enough settling under the viaduct that they are going to have to close it for safety reasons.

This would leave north/south commuters like myself f**ked until whenever 2016, 17, 18…

It is pretty easy to predict that a large project like this would have setbacks, so Dori is no savant, but this big a setback, this early on is pretty effin disappointing.

AprilJoy Greenwell
    Participant

Psa…@bertha_tunnel on twitter….is broken down unemployed Bertha tweeting now.

Shelley

6 months more doing nothing. wonder if Bertha’s collecting UI?

I was not a fan of McSchwinn, but this is the one thing he got right. And in response to the earlier comment from Gracie, quoted here:

McGinn was all for bicycles – yet when he went to an event, he had a driver with his bike in trunk. When he got within couple of blocks of event, would get bike out & ride to it – like he had gone the whole distance from his office.

I think you need to check your sources. He almost always rode the bike the whole way. His security detail was often in an SUV. Again, I’m not a fan, and this information comes from folk in the bike community who said he was in great physical shape because he commuted from Greenwood to downtown on the bike and to most events as well with occasional exceptions.

VeganBiker
    Participant

gracie- I have to correct you about your comment regarding Mike McGinn. I can tell you from personal experience that he rode his bike to and from downtown and Greenwood by himself and with NO security in an SUV. I have ridden beside him, followed him from downtown, saw him at events and talked to him and watched him ride off to another event all on a bike and NO SUV or security in sight. Please tell us where you obtained your information from.

gracie
    Participant

From a past employee of his who witnessed this repeatedly. I have heard about this from many sources. Never said his vehicle was an SUV – I believe the Mayor’s car is more like a Towncar, one on that order. Whatever, I still didn’t like the man.

great idea
    Participant

“Whatever, I still didn’t like the man.”

that’s not a good reason to be repeating second-hand lies about someone.

he could probably sue you for slander, but I think he’s too busy riding his bike around.

gracie
    Participant

GI and tell me how do you know it is a “lie”? I only know firsthand that many have told this. So if slander is the issue, he’ll have to put many people on the suit.
    I’m not saying he never rode his bike. He did. But on some events he only rode the last few blocks, after getting bike out of his City driven vehicle. He had security drive him around most times.
    Choose to believe what you want. That’s great. I will choose to know what I have been told by different sources.
    And it wasn’t just the bike issue of why I didn’t like the man. There were many issues when he was in office.
    GI – I’m not going to get into a pissing match with you about this, okay? You always lambast me and seriously I am in too good of a mood to deal with you. Not worth it. You have a good day. I plan to do the same. Peace out.

Edog
    Participant

This is not Mike’s I told you so moment. Mike gets to say I told you so when the City pays a real bill related to cost overruns for work incurred and contracted on behalf of the State of Washington.

Marigold
    Participant

Just so you know Gracie, information that someone gives you rather than information gathered from personal observation makes it second hand information. Hardly reliable.

But really, sorry to see this tunnel mess. I want that viaduct gone sooner rather than later, seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

oldguybc
    Participant

I used to drive a Big Bertha, went to a TaylorMade burner and now drive a Callaway X-Hot, hit all of ’em pretty good… just sayin’…

donarb
    Participant

I don’t doubt there were times that McGinn had his bike dropped off when attending events. But instead of assuming that McGinn was a hypocrite that wanted to force everyone to ride bikes while pretending not to himself, I can see many benign possibilities, such as scheduling an event late in the day, having his bike dropped off, then riding home after the event. But if you hate bikes or people who ride them, it’s much easier to attribute all sorts of nefarious motives.

As for McGinn “caving”, he did all he could legally do in opposing it, he had no authority to shut down a project run by the state. Just weeks after McGinn was elected and before he took office, the city council, in a fit of pique, stripped almost a million dollars from the mayor-elect’s staff budget, there was no hue and cry from the media about the council’s petulance. Yet when McGinn called a press conference on the waterfront to push for an accelleration of the seawall replacement (ahead of the tunnel start), he was critized by the council and media as going behind the backs of the council to push his anti-tunnel agenda. The thinking at the time was that linking the tunnel and seawall funding would be more palatable to the legislators in Olympia, and that separate funding would doom the tunnel, so was thought a ploy by McGinn to kill it.

He always stated he was against the tunnel, gave his support to a referendum that allowed people to vote on it (but had no force of law behind it). Once the vote passed, he could do nothing more. Even if the referendum had failed, he still could do nothing as the city council had the votes to overturn anything he could try.

VeganBiker
    Participant

donarb +1

gracie – I don’t like getting into petty arguments on this forum but! I have personally witnessed Mike McGinn riding from downtown to Fremont on a route that would be difficult to follow him in a car and I actually thought about how vulnerable he was and compared him to mayors of other cities and felt proud that he was the mayor of my city. (Boris Johnson is the only other biking mayor that I know of that bikes to work regularly).
    I liked Mike McGinn and found him to be approachable and attentive as a mayor, I believe he actually listened to people. I don’t know that he was able to do all he wanted to do as a mayor but he did try.
    Watch this and then decide if he rally bikes to work:
    http://www.streetfilms.org/biking-to-work-with-seattles-mayor-mike-mcginn/

Ernie
    Participant

Choose to believe what you want. That’s great. I will choose to know what I have been told by different sources.

That’s great, I’ll choose to believe the guy who has ridden with the former Mayor himself, over “different sources” who probably have a political axe to grind.

Smells Fishy
    Participant

Back to Big Bertha, I got my own and she is still working!!

gracie
    Participant

Thanks,for getting back,to subject of big bertha!

jj
    Participant

I wonder if we went with a different option if it would be delayed all the same for some other reason.

Oly
    Participant

When I was at band camp……

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.