Bowling Alley in Ballard.

Home Forums Open forum Bowling Alley in Ballard.

This topic contains 25 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  hippiefreak 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

How cool would it be? To be honest, I just want somewhere close to home where I can bowl, play video games, and drink. Normally, I just sit around my apartment playing video games, drinking, eating Gorilla Munch, and bowling (on my Xbox).

A bowling alley close to home would be great because then I wouldn’t actually have to be at home. Know what I mean?

Jules
    Participant

Where have YOU been? First we lost Frontier Lanes, then Lelani Lanes, then Sunset Bowl. (not to mention Ridge Rink, the roller skating rink, and the Ice Rink) Apparently, the Powers that Be have madated that all forms of activity other than visiting brew pubs, bars, and coffee shops are verbotten. All land must be turned into overpriced condos and apartments, ASAP!

gracie
    Participant

Jules said it right on! It would be nice to have a bowling alley nearby. I don’t even know where one is these days closeby. Is there such a thing as a roller rink anymore – or even an ice rink?
    I was looking at the condo compound going up just west of 24th & Market. Holy cow there are so many units and yet they continue to put up more condos throughout Ballard. And all the houses torn down, the houses replaced are all the same design – ultra modern with flat roofs sitting next to bungalows. Just doesn’t fit in. Would be nice to see a little variation.
    I know progress is supposed to be good – but not in all cases.
    In “downtown Ballard” what is needed instead of yet another condo building, office building is a parking lot! Parking sucks in Ballard.

Nora Bell
    Participant

Whenever someone complains about the condos and not affordable apartments going up, we’re told we hate progress or hate change. I like change, but not all change is good. Sometimes change is boring block condos with empty retail spaces and not enough parking. I do have a small Ballard wishlist that could only be filled if I rub a genie’s lamp.

1. The current Bartells to stay where it is. I can walk to it. It’s the only drugstore I can currently walk to.

2. Yes, a bowling alley. I miss both the Sunset and Leilani Lanes.

3. A hardware store. Something like the Ace in Greenwood.

4. A PCC.

5. A vegan/gluten free bakery. I sorely miss the one we lost.

jj
    Participant

Sunset Bowl sold out because their property was worth much more than they could have made being a bowling alley. Therefore I’d suspect if another were to open it might be popular. Maybe someone will open one of those fancy bowling-themed bars.

Cate
    Participant

You know The Garage up on Capital Hill? It has Bowling lanes, Billiards, pretty decent food. 21+ only with a good bar. And it’s always busy. That’s what I want in Ballard. A place where adults can go play.

Catherine
    Participant

Good hardware store – Two of them down in Ballard – one is Stoneway – just east of the bridge. The other is Ballard Hardware.

As far as bowling…. I’m thinking as an interim… we need a huge lawn bowling party… take over a couple of parks… need to wait for some sun though.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

+1 Cate

Also add in a performance stage. There was a place like this on the Jersey shore years ago and a big group of friends could go or meet up but everyone did what interested them or made the rounds.

saffythepook
    Participant

Stone Way Hardware is great and +1 for a place like The Garage here. Though it’s a “bowling alley” rather than a bowling alley, it’ll do nicely. What I really miss is the Karaoke in the lava lounge at Leilani. I never sang a note but it was endlessly entertaining.

gracie
    Participant

Norabell – I don’t like the Bartells on 15th NW. The underground parking is creepy, to say the least.With all the transients in that area who knows if one down there with an agenda – wanting to break into car, aggressively beg. When I was there the signage sucked & didn’t know where to park underground. The elevators had sign that said for tenants only. And if you bought a bunch of stuff the carts were not allowed out of the store. (hopefully they have changed that)
    And many senior citizens go to the present Bartells because of convenience. I can’t imagine them wanting to go over there. Maybe but not sure.
    If I have to go to a Bartells in the future, I will drive either to Greenwood or Magnolia.
    Bowling alley – it would be nice if there was one and if it allowed kids so they have something to do besides “hang out”.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@jules: I’m new here, mate. It sucks we lost our bowling alleys though.

@cate: Yes, I work near The Garage. It’s actually the reason I was thinking of a bowling alley.

Edog
    Participant

Some random thoughts!

Bowling is on the decline in the U.S. generally. It’s hard to find lanes anywhere.

While it might have been a beloved local fixture, the Sunset Bowl was a DUMP!!! There I said it. Sure some places are blue collar, some are dives, but calling Sunset either of those is like calling 500 square feet of condo cozy urban living: A STRETCH!!!

Be careful for what you wish! Bowling lanes that open up these days tend be Booshy! They are more about black lights, ambient “music”, cocktails, and club/flirt-wear than blue collar beers with your buddies. Its not like Ballard needs another Douche Palace! I mean, Nathan Opper and Zak Melang have more than saturated that Market!

But don’t look back in anger….

Jules
    Participant

Historically, there were also MORE movie theatres in Ballard, an ice rink, and a bowling alley on Ballard Avenue as well. Ballard has become Belltown: North Annex. Do we really need more bars, bums, and condos?

plasticbags
    Participant

We do have an ice rink in the winter. Right behind Trader Joe’s.

VeganBiker
    Participant

plasticbags – that is funny. I was just down there this afternoon and stopped my bike near the “pond” because there were red winged blackbirds calling and I noticed a killdeer, sparrows, mallards and starlings all around and on the “pond” along with a large gray recycling or trash can festooned with red cones!
    I just love living and riding my bike in Ballard.

Angeline
    Participant

+1 on the creepiness of the new Bartell’s parking. Why is there no door into the store from the garage? If I hadn’t had to walk so far around in deserted passageways I would not have felt unsafe. I’ll probably only stop there now when I’m on foot and can just go in the front door.

I don’t know where it could go in Ballard, but I was really disappointed that we ended up with the Chihouly museum at Seattle Center instead of an ice rink, bowling alley or a really good aquatic center. There is probably room at SC for all three of those things but I’m not holding my breath until we get them.

Jimmy Rustler, the closest ice rink is Highland on Aurora in Shoreline. It’s not that long a drive up 3rd Ave, though the rink lacks a certain ambiance. It seems pretty busy on winter weekends. I don’t know where you can bowl nearby — isn’t there a place in Richmond Beach?

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Parking at the new Bartells is CRAZY. Yesterday I went there for the first time. I followed a store sign, then saw the pharmacy, so I parked. And then I walked and walked almost as if it was an aimless wander. I found some guys working on an escalator and they directed me. The store manager has heard it many times, and supposedly Bartells is getting shafted by the developer for accessible parking on the upper level. Upper level! So he casually asked why I didn’t park on the lower level, right next to the elevator and come right into the store. HUH? No signage, no clairvoyance, no obvious anything!!

Angeline
    Participant

I was just in there yesterday and I have no idea what the manager was talking about. You have to drive down to the lower level and then take an elevator up? That is beyond stupid. Maybe there will be *some* sense to it when the other retail fills in so you are not doing this just for one stop. I don’t see how Bartell’s can compete for car traffic against Safeway and Walgreens with this setup.

Jules
    Participant

Well, we got the Chihuly Museum at the Center, but we lost the Fun Forest. There was an amusement park at Bitter Lake called “Playland” up into the 1960s, now all condos. Ridge Rink was a roller rink on 85th and Greenwood, now condos. The ice rink in Ballard is on Shilshole, near Salmon Bay Sand and Gravel. It was DanTrawl…one story gray building.
    There were children’s rides at Woodland Park when I was a kid, now gone, including the pony rides.
    It seems that a lot of the “amusements” we had as kids, including the bowling alleys, have gone the way of the dodo. Ballard was “child friendly” when I was a kid, now it is “hipster and hobo” friendly. Don’t hold your breath Angeline, for anything approaching “family friendly” venues in Seattle anymore.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@jules: To be honest, I usually prefer places that are not family friendly. I don’t hate kids or anything but the loud ones can ruin certain situations. These situation include: watching a movie at the theater, enjoying a quiet dinner out, bowling.

Edog
    Participant

I know what you mean about kids, Jimmy, especially all those darn twenty and thirty something’s. I don’t know why, but for some reason their quiet dinners out are always so noisy.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

LOL.

ballardMike
    Participant

I vote we just start bringin’ da bowling ballz to Trader Joes… Or maybe Mars Hill.

oldguybc
    Participant

There you go with the D word again, EDog… you are a shit disturber par excellence!

Jules, you almost make me cry with your nostalgia, was a pin setter in that old 6 lane bowling alley, learned to ice skate in that old rink, worked there too, scraping the ice…
    We’re dinosaurs, you & I, someday our bones will be right up there with T- Rex, et.al.

great idea
    Participant

you were really a pin jockey, oldguybc? I have new-found respect for you.

I learned to ice skate outside the way it’s meant to be done…. in the far north.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement