Car stolen from 1700 block of 58th Street

Home Forums Open forum Car stolen from 1700 block of 58th Street

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Pdaddymom 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Pieminder
    Participant

My brother is visiting us from Vancouver, WA, and his car was stolen from our street last night. It’s a 1996 4-door dark green Honda Civic, license plate WA ASN4059. There are tan and red University of Portland parking stickers on the driver’s side windshield. I’m hoping someone sees it ditched somewhere and that it’s not gone forever…

VeganBiker
    Participant

Sorry to hear that Pieminder, I hope he gets it back ASAP.
    I wish there was an easy way to shut off the gas supply in a car so that if stolen it would run out of gas in a couple of blocks!

Good luck.

GAM
    Participant

VB-

Actually, that can be done. My mechanic offered to put a discrete switch in my car to shut off the fuel line. It would cost a few hundred in labor so I opted against it, since I don’t usually park on the street. But it’s not a bad idea.

He also is going to teach me which fuses I can pocket if I have to leave my car unattended in a dicey location.

Pieminder, my recently stolen ’95 Honda was missing for 17 days, the last five of which it was in front of Adams on 28th. Good luck! (It’s all reported to the cops, yes?)

It would appear someone in the ‘hood has a set of Honda keys.

Pieminder
    Participant

Yep, it’s reported, and he’s already got a rental car covered by his insurance to get him back down south. I’d feel bad that this happened to him no matter what, but feel extra bad that it happened outside my house!

phoo
    Participant

Something you can do if you’re concerned about theft is a pedal lock. Put it under the clutch or gas pedal and unless they manage to remove it, they are going nowhere. Unfortunately, it means crawling into the floor of your car every time you want to go somewhere, but is affordable. A gas shutoff would be awesome, but that might only be worth it if you lived in a high car theft area or you’ve got one of the magic car models that are super easy to break into so have a higher rate of wandering away.

GAM
    Participant

I’m told the club is not much of a deterrent, by the way.

Pieminder, I’m glad your friends were able to get a rental and get home. Mine showed up after I’d given up hope, so hang in there.

phoo
    Participant

GAM, yes that’s why I mention the pedal lock. However, I did get a club after hearing a friend’s story. She got a club after having her car stolen. Over the months, most of her neighbor’s cars got broken into. The theory goes that a thief figures that if someone cares enough to attach a club every time they leave the car, they won’t leave enough stuff in the car to be worth the trouble.

Horrible story about your friend, btw. I’m so glad he had insurance to be able to cover a rental. But he probably lost stuff in the car too.

Pieminder
    Participant

He’s a musician – luckily he brought all his instruments into the house overnight, so all he thinks he lost was a cymbal stand and an old iPod. So definitely not as bad as it could’ve been.

phoo
    Participant

Wow. Good thinking on his part. That would be a huge blow.

Pieminder
    Participant

Car found! The police called my brother saying it was parked in an alley off 15th, just above 77th. My brother had gone back home several days ago so my husband and I went to retrieve it – looks like only an iPod missing and maybe some tools from the trunk, gas tank still half full. We had a weird run-in with the guy who lived there and apparently was the one who called it in – he *really* didn’t want us to take the five minutes the police had recommended to check the car out, make sure there were no needles, etc., wanted us to get it out of there right that red-hot minute, and got oddly belligerent with us. People are weird (and sometimes creepy). But anyway, it’s good news that it’s found and it’s driveable; too bad my brother has to make another round trip up to Seattle to pick it up, but it definitely could’ve been worse.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

Seems since Danny Westneat’s article that things are getting better. I dig “Happy Endings” that don’t involve Aurora.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024924914_westneat02xml.html

What I learned last weekend: If your car gets broken into, there’s probably no point in calling the police because they won’t do anything.

This turns out to be true even if you direct police to the thieves’ van, with the perpetrators sitting in it holding your stolen stuff in plain view. The police will tell you to forget it, and call your insurance instead.

JM98107
    Participant

Several TV web sites report that the police have arrested a few car prowlers on the Eastside that may be linked to Seattle crimes – such as Westneat’s theft. It takes time to catch up with highly mobile crooks.

Pdaddymom
    Participant

I have one of the clutch locks that Phoo refers to. It is easy to put on and take off – you just reach down under the steering wheel. No biggy! And it prevented my 95 Honda civic from being stolen a few years ago. It is made of titanium steel so would be impossible to take off unless thieves carry industrial power tools. Definitely a cheap alternative to a car alarm. I use that and the club when I have to park my car on the street instead of in my garage.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.