dog stolen from outside cafe

Home Forums Open forum dog stolen from outside cafe

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  briarrose 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Life is amazing
    Participant

I left a comment on the story on the home page but I’m in such a yank about it I’m going to put it here too.

First- this woman returned this dog and the thanks she gets is “she seemed unstable” written in the neighborhood blog? Nice. Geeks, you should have left that part out.
    If she didnt want the dog she could have just let it go but she took it to a safe place.

Secondly, would everyone please stop leaving your dogs out in public? You wouldnt leave your purse or wallet out there and dogs are stolen way more than you think- from in front of stores, from yards, from cars. For various reasons including for use as bait in dog fighting rings.

Its just a bad idea

Curtis
    Participant

Thank you!
    If a business won’t allow a dog for a minute (which I get, so shut-up!) then I don’t go there if I have a dog with me…easy! People wouldn’t tie their human charges outside unsupervised and I don’t see this as being so very different.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Idiots. I especially get irate at those who leave them outside restaurants and bars. Your dogs deserve a walk just for themselves, and not only on your convenient walk to a destination. Make time.

As for stores, most here in Ballard are OK with dogs. Assume you can until you are told no.

Allison W
    Participant

So….it’s the fault of the dog’s owners that the dogs are stolen? How about blaming the dog thief? Yet another example of blaming the victim.

DON’T STEAL A DOG. THE END.

pennygirl
    Participant

I don’t think anyone is saying that Alli. It’s just a matter of common sense. If someone broke into my house and stole one of my dogs, I would put the blame squarely on the thief. If I leave one of my dogs unattended in a public place, and he/she is stolen, you can bet I would be partially blaming myself.

Edog
    Participant

This is not a problem for me. I trained our dog to rip big stinky farts when someone tries to steel her. Its kind of a like a taser that shocks you with sickness instead of electricity.

great idea
    Participant

I sure miss the old days of Ballard when I could tie my horse up outside any saloon and he would still be there when I stumbled out.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Yes, absolutely the dog owners fault. Try leaving your wallet tethered to a pole and blame someone else!! Nothing says “I don’t give a shit” like leaving a dog alone outside. Too sad!

Life is amazing
    Participant

I think it is more a matter of times changing and people being behind than people not caring although i am as frustrated as you by the situation. I remember when we were kids we let our dogs run free in the neighborhood. Everyone did.
    Up until about 15 years ago i wouldnt have thought twice about leaving my dog outside a store. Then i heard about a theft and wondered why id never thought about it before
    What bothers me is when people are told about the dangers and they say they’ll still do it because “it doesnt happen that often”
    Kids dont get kidnaped that often either. Wouldnt leave mine outside alone though.

Cate
    Participant

LIA – I too was rather upset at the snarky comment towards the woman that helped the dog get home. Totally unnecessary. And a tied up dog doesn’t even have a way to get away from someone trying to hurt or snatch them (other then biting I suppose which a well trained dog won’t usually do).

Curtis
    Participant

Exactly. We all remember those “better” times. Didn’t have to lock your house or your car, could give someone a lift, etc…but guess what? That was THEN, and this is NOW.

pennygirl
    Participant

Further to what Cate said – in general, dogs do not like being tied up. Unless they are a guard dog who is trained to attack, they may go semi-willingly with someone who unties them.

great idea
    Participant

I don’t know if you even own a dog, allison, but thank you for hitting the nail squarely on the head.

not all of us have a lot of time for our pooches and combining walks/errands will remain part of my protocol.

I walk to the post office with my dog at least once a week and tie him up right outside where I can see him at all times from the line. I don’t think that is bad.

great idea
    Participant

also, my dog does not mind being tied up. he will even hold the leash in his mouth for me as he knows the procedure so well.

he has the added benefit that I always come back and it is never that long.

Edog
    Participant

You people make me sick with your leash laws, dog farts and public shame!

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

I used to have dogs growing up and whenever I tied them up outside I made sure I could see them at all times, then again my dogs usually were busy barking or getting petted by passers-by so never worried.

as for how times have changed, I remember well the days when as a kid I’d say was going over to a friend’s house then my friend and I would play in a vacant lot nearby for hours without anyone being worried. nowadays you have to setup play-dates and such in advance and there’s no doing anything outdoors without someone watching.

Allison W
    Participant

There’s no reason kids can’t play in the vacant lot now except for fearful parents. The world’s not nearly as dangerous as many perceive it to be.

briarrose
    Participant

I agree allison and we also never let our dogs run loose when I was young. Those who did had dead dogs.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.