Dog stolen from outside Cafe Fiore

dog

Update:

Greg emailed in to let us know that Cutter was returned to his home yesterday afternoon. After being taken from Cafe Fiore, he turned up at a Petco in Bellevue, which then took him to an animal shelter close by.

A lady had brought Cutter to the Petco store stating that her brother had taken him from outside Cafe Fiore and brought him home to her to have as a companion. “Petco staff got the impression that she wasn’t too stable,” writes Greg.

The shelter immediately scanned his chip and called Cutter’s owner straight away.

“Needless to say, I don’t think we’ll be tying Cutter up anywhere if we don’t have an eye on him. I just can’t imagine walking off with somebody else’s dog,” writes Greg.

Original Post:

My Ballard reader Greg emailed in to report that his dog Cutter (pictured) was stolen from out the front of Cafe Fiore (5405 Leary Ave NW) at approximately 10 a.m. on Sunday morning.

“We frequently tie him up out front while we get coffee. He’s the nicest dog I’ve ever met and we’re sick about this. He loves everybody, is so sweet, and is the best friend to a 13 year old boy,” writes Greg.

Cutter has tags and is chipped. If you have seen him please email us at tips@myballard.com and we will pass on the information.

14 thoughts to “Dog stolen from outside Cafe Fiore”

1. I feel bad that this guy lost his dog but I hate when people bring their dog places just to tie them up outside.
    Why not just leave the dog home if you are visiting a non-dog friendly establishment?

2. First- this woman returned this dog and the thanks she gets is “she seemed unstable” written in the neighborhood blog? Nice. Geeks, you should have left that part out.
    If she didnt want the dog she could have just let it go but she took it to a safe place.

Secondly, would everyone please stop leaving your dogs out in public? You wouldnt leave your purse or wallet out there and dogs are stolen way more than you think. For various reasons including for use as bait in dog fighting rings.

3. I like to walk to the library and pick-up items on hold, and my dog really enjoys the walk. I will continue to bring him along when I don’t plan to be inside long on similar errands.

I don’t believe dogs are stolen that often. This was some crazy guy or his crazy sister, not some professional dog-napping-for-fighting ring or pharmaceutical company looking to experiment.

4. @4: if you are going somewhere dogs are not allowed, why not just leave your dog home? You have the rest of the day to walk him whenever you want.

5. @ #4 – yeah, I get it – if the dog is there its ripe for the picking…

however, don’t blame the owners because someone (stable or not) decided to take their dog.

don’t blame the victim.

6. I think it is more a matter of times changing and people being behind than people not caring.
    I remember when we were kids we let our dogs run free in the neighborhood. Everyone did.
    Up until about 15 years ago i wouldnt have thought twice about leaving my dog outside a store. Then i heard about a theft and wondered why id never thought about it before
    Libra, i know you think it doesnt happen that often but you might want to google it. Last i read there were 5 stolen last year in the ballard , phinney ridge, wallingford and surrounding areas.
    One girl ran into a store to drop something off and ran right back out and he was gone.
    Kids dont get kidnapped that often either. Wouldnt leave mine outside alone though.

7. A woman takes the dog to someplace safe and then reads her neighborhood blog and finds she is described as “not to stable.” Totally uncalled for Danielle Anthony-Goodwin. Poor journalism at best, unkind at the very least.

8. It’s fascinating to watch people rediscovering the basic rules of professional journalism. For those who want to cut to the chase, the Associated Press Style Guide ($26 a year online) has an excellent guide to avoiding committing libel. Because the Good Samaritan who returned the dog was not named, quoting the dog owner describing her as “not too stable” doesn’t seem to cross the line. It’s just the new-tabloid style of journalism in which you have to make sure to imply something weird or nasty about everyone involved in the story lest you risk losing your coolness cred.

Leave a Reply