Encampment Petitions

Home Forums Open forum Encampment Petitions

This topic contains 44 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  JM98107 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Yes, read the story, but it wasn’t anything I already hadn’t read about. To address your concern, a quote from the story, :“In the last 18 months, it has really exploded,” observes Daniel Malone, the new director of the Downtown Emergency Services Center, “and we are not keeping pace by increasing the number of shelter beds…” You see, that’s why a tent encampment is needed.

I know the tent encampments would accomodate those in need of a safe place to live. I’ve always said, the solution for homelessness is homes. Seems obvious to me, just as it was for Lloyd Pendelton. I fully support his approach.

JM98107
    Participant

But who pays for the lovely homes? I don’t want to pay for the irresponsible flaky winos.

JM98107
    Participant

Sent a few photos to the city and asked them to come clean-up the trash piles at 11th and NW 45th. How long will it take?

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Here’s another update.
    Ballard Shut Up petition:1642.
    For the Homeless Encampment petition:1900.

JM98107
    Participant

Perhaps the petition link isn’t working :

Uh oh.
    The server is misbehaving.
    You can try refreshing the page, and if you’re still having problems, just try again later. We’re doing our best to get things working smoothly!

Still, no good reason to encourage creepy bum zombies to move into Seattle or Ballard.

Crownhiller
    Participant

Ballard News Tribune has story re: alternative encampment site proposal

Ballard community leaders propose alternative encampment location to Mayor

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Here’s another update. Ballard Shut Up petition:1664. Support the homeless encampment petition:2242.

JM98107
    Participant

The shanty town shacks are coming! Oh my! What a marvelous (gag) improvement to the community. I tried the petition and it didn’t work.

Anonymous

Salmon Bay, you are part of the problem. By advocating for more of the same failed approaches that led to the current crisis, you and the other knee-jerk homeless activists are letting the city off the hook and allowing us to continue to be distracted by band-aid measures instead of spending scarce resources and civic energy on more effective solutions.

You are part of the problem.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Um, genius, those opposing the tent encampments are wasting scarce city resources and civic energy. Instead of advocating FOR improvements, you advocate AGAINST any current action.

YOU ARE the problem.

Edog
    Participant

Wait; did you two mean you singular or you plural?

Salmon Bay
    Participant

I meant singular, as in Compass Rose singularly and specifically, and I think you would agree.

JM98107
    Participant

I was just down next to Nickelsshacks again today. What mess! Ballard, you are not going to like the heaps of trash surrounding one of these encampments.

KS
    Participant

I don’t agree with the premise that people’s collective “civic energy” (if that could be defined and quantified) can be exhausted. And it seems like hyperbole (or cynicism) to argue that the relatively minor amount of public discussion that has occurred on this issue (by comparison with highly contentious, long term and angry or even violent public policy arguments that have been raging around the country on matters such as gun control, abortion, military spending and wars, immigration, etc.) could deplete the civic energy of our community.

I also don’t agree that expressing concerns about the administrative process by which the encampment legislation is being implemented is a waste of the city’s (and therefore our collective) time or resources.

In my opinion it is our civic duty to insist that our representatives and the bureaucracies that they lead:
    *honestly and openly communicate the policies they advocate and the factual impetus for them
    *acknowledge the cons of policy solutions and make every effort to address them rationally and openly
    *accept, acknowledge and consider public comment
    *use (collect, analyze and report) data appropriately
    *estimate/calculate one-time and recurring costs accurately (and be intellectually honest about the scope of programmatic costs)
    *write professionally; and
    *generally conduct their governmental business competently.
    In my opinion, efforts by elected leaders and city staff to deny or abort a fair public policy making process should always be suspect in a Democracy.

In this case the city has fallen short with respect to many of the criteria above. Hopefully the public airing of the shortcomings will be taken into consideration in this City Council election and will result in improved transparency and accountability by City Council and the mayor’s office in the future.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Here’s another update.
    Ballard Shut Up petition:1,666. Draw your own conclusion.

For the Homeless Encampment petition:2249.

Edog
    Participant

So 42 percent of the people want Ballard to Shut Up, while 57 percent want to round up the homeless and store them in a camp?

JM98107
    Participant

A few years ago, I remember someone saying bum storage was the next big thing for Ballard.

JM98107
    Participant

How many kids are assembling their bum costumes for Halloween?

oldguybc
    Participant

We have this problem down here too, as well as in every metro area in the country. We had a huge contingency of tents and makeshift domicile areas in an area earmarked as a county park along the Guadeloupe River running through downtown San Jose. One day the powers- that- be went on in & took down (destroyed?) all the tents, etc., and made it what they had intended it to be. Did this resolve the problem? No, just moved everyone to another location. Someone wrote in to our newspaper that a large number of these homeless people maintain P.O. boxes by which they receive some sort of funding, you get the picture… we will somehow invent the cheapest way to live that we can. Human nature.

JM98107
    Participant

The rain is back! Tent camping in Seattle is unhealthy and should be banned.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.