Good deli

Home Forums Open forum Good deli

This topic contains 21 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  gracie 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

gracie
    Participant

I am working crazy hours for now – start 7:30 to 8:00 AM and working until 9-10 PM. Consequently I have no time to cook. I’m looking for some good deli food I could bring with me to work for dinner and lunch. I don’t want frozen food. I bought some salads at QFC other day and have to say they sucked.
    Is there a deli anywhere between downtown Seattle and Ballard that I could run to during lunch break, get something tasty and bring back to work. (or maybe open early & can get on way to work?) I have salad makings in frig at work but they get boring both lunch & dinner.
    Will be so glad when this crazy time is finally over. Get up 5:30-6:00, feed the cat, get ready for work;work;go home, feed cat, play with her a bit & go to bed. And when I get home I am beat, beat, beat & last thing I want to do is cook.

Anonymous

The deli at QFC sucks. The premade stuff at Trader Joe’s is much better. They have some good salads and other items – hummus and pre-cut veggies, wraps, sandwiches, egg salad, etc. – and since it’s TJs, the prices are good. Whole Paycheck also has good premade foods, but of course they’re more expensive.

Mondoman
    Participant

I find the pre-made and deli sandwiches at Ballard Market quite tasty, with good bread and good meats (I’m pretty sure it’s actual roasted turkey rather than the processed stuff). Haven’t really tried the salads there.

gracie
    Participant

Trader Joe’s – completely forgot about them. I pass Whole Paycheck going to and from work. Ballard Market – I haven’t been in there for quite some time. I found them a little expensive too – but I guess you get what you pay for.Not sure how late any of them are open. Maybe this weekend, which I have to work both days, I’ll come in a little later & stop at one of these places. Load up a week’s worth of food (working all next week too :( (Desperately trying to get all my work done so I can walk out the door without feeling like I didn’t do it. Discovered co-workers weren’t doing this one thing for last few years & now I’ve had to go through all the paperwork since 2012 (we’re talking MOUNTAINS of paperwork) and get it all scanned correctly – come July 8th – no more work!!!) I even lost sleep over this – like night before last no sleep. Just don’t want to leave it for the next person but at same time no way I’m going to delay my last day working. Trying to tell myself I can only do so much.
    I am already sick of drive-in stuff, which isn’t good for me anyway. Last night gagged down a chicken sandwich from drive-thru and actually threw away most of it. It tastes salty to me.

pennygirl
    Participant

Gracie – Don’t buy anything from a deli unless you are going to be eating it within a couple of days at most. That goes for any deli.

gracie
    Participant

Oh damn, you are so right. I have made that mistake in the past – and almost did again. Thanks for reminding me. TJ has some prepared meals that I suppose I could freeze here & heat up when I want it for dinner.
    I need a personal chef and hair stylist, gardener, and while we’re at it – maid. Oh, if only.

Ballardgirl
    Participant

While I understand your resistance to frozen food, you might try Amy’s Enchiladas. They come in several styles, but all share a very delicious sauce! I love the roasted vegetable and tofu version. They are cheese free, so I add grated cheese on top! Add some raw veggies to snack on, or a piece of fruit and you have a healthy meal! Watch out for the Amy’s enchiladas with rice and beans, they are a ‘carb fest’. The package with 2 cheese enchiladas are decadent and delicious, but I cannot eat both in one serving. You really need to balance those out with some fresh cold veggies on the side.

gracie
    Participant

That’s an option. I know some of those are high in carbs, sodium and/or fat. I’ll give the roasted veggie one a try. I happen to like tofu but not by itself. Good idea on fresh veggies/fruit.
    If I was going to be working longer, I would bring down a small wok or such but too late for that. Stir fry sounds mighty good to me right now.

Angeline
    Participant

+1 on Amy’s enchiladas, though I have not liked any of the other frozen Amy’s meals much. TJ’s frozen meals are good. I have tried and liked several Indian selections, the bibimbop bowl, the penne pasta with peppers, the gnocchi, and I’m sure several others. Only a few have disappointed, and I can’t think of any of those that are still kept in stock; guess no one liked them. I do not much like TJ’s packaged green salads though they are probably better than nothing and the price is decent. The eggplant wrap in the deli section is delicious.

It is costlier, but I prefer the salads and sandwiches from PCC deli. Always awesome but as I said, too expensive for every day.

None of my business, but if it wasn’t you who dropped the ball I don’t see why you should pull all nighters fixing it. Try pretty hard & put in extra hours, sure, but no sleep is very extreme. Is the hit to your health really worth it?

gracie
    Participant

Angeline – A friend suggested the bibimpop bowl too. But when I read the label with the various counts way too high – carbs, etc. She said “it’s delish” but now she can’t have it because she was very recently diagnosed with diabetes and has to watch her carbs…well she could if she adjusted her intake that day.
    Is the nearest PCC in Fremont? I don’t normally go to a PCC.
    And I have to agree with you TOTALLY on me fixing their errors – but they claim “they didn’t know and I just don’t have time, it’s not my job, etc etc.” So my boss is going to have a meeting. He didn’t know about situation until he saw the boxes around my desk and he wasn’t happy. As I mentioned I’m leaving work for good in like 14 days and in my mind I just can’t leave things not done right. I don’t want to leave for the next person but last night I thought I can only do so much. And it is taking a hit on my health. So tired, legs hurting from sitting/standing too much, not eating properly, I am almost burned out. But I keep trying to motivate myself by saying only 14 more days.
    There is a co-worker who could take this on after I’m gone but “if you want the job done right, do it yourself.” Plus she is going to be slammed with work until my replacement is chosen.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

Take 5 Urban Market is my favorite Ballard deli. Their sandwiches are amazing. http://take5urbanmarket.com/

Also, They have really good cheesecake!

gracie
    Participant

Jimmy – you are torturing me with the cheesecake. So can’t have that because too many carbs. (sad eyes)

Darth Satan
    Participant

Ahhh, Gracie has been busy. Thats why the forum has been better recently.

Angeline
    Participant

I think most if not all the frozen and non-salad deli options at TJs are going to be less-than-perfect choices. High carbs/fat/salt, possibly not enough protein (some might be OK). But most seem more nutritious than fast food, which is what I thought you were trying to replace.

Low carb does make things harder. You could go with salads and bring hard boiled eggs from home to up the protein and make them more filling.

I think you can leave a portion of this for the next person with a clear conscience. They should not dump it all on your temporary replacement but either divide among those who should have done it in the first place or hire a temp to complete the job. Either way, it will no longer be your problem.

Nora Bell
    Participant

Amy’s does low carb meals. Trader Joes is also a good idea. It’s pretty easy to find healthy options in there.
    What’s unhealthy is pushing yourself to do work others should have done, and are likely very capable of doing. Angeline is right, no reason you can’t leave some work behind.

gracie
    Participant

I am agreeing inwardly with both of you. A friend said your work ethics are getting in your way of enjoying the impending leaving the work force. My boss is off today but sent him text I wnat to talk to him about this issue. He replied of course. I’ve had many bosses here (they transfer a lot) and he is the best boss ever. He said please don’t leave. I just got here – with a big grin on his face.
    And Angeline – funny you should say hard boiled eggs. I did bring some in this morning. I did the ultimate lazy thing – found in the egg section at QFC package of six of hard boiled eggs. The cost is ridiculous but for “emergency” has came in handy. Also grabbed a carton of cottage cheese and some veggies to mix in with the cottage cheese.

Curtis
    Participant

Not sure where exactly you work downtown but Grand Central Bakery in Pioneer Square has been one of my favorite places since I moved to Seattle in ’83. Whole foods has good sandwiches and a make-it-yourself salad bar, plus lots of great pre-made salads and entrees. The same can be said of Metropolitan Market. I also go to Special T’s sometimes; they can be hit or miss.

gracie
    Participant

Not even sure what Special T’s is. Never heard of it. Pioneer Square is a little too far to go during lunch time. But I have been to Grand Central & it is great. Last night as I went home and passed Whole Foods in Interbay hoping they would be open but they were closed.
    I need a personal chef!!

Darth Satan
    Participant

Actually it’s called Specialty’s

gracie
    Participant

Oh, Specialty’s. That I do know and they have rightous food.

Shelley

Adding my 2 cents here. Echoing the advice given above. Don’t pull all-nighters to get stuff done. Be honest with your boss about what you found, what you think you can fix (during regular work hours between now and your last day), keep the boss updated at various points. And if the schedule slips, make sure s/he knows. See if there’s a way to bring someone else in to help — heck it might even be good training depending on the task involved.

Speaking from the perspective of an employer. People make more mistakes, are less pleasant in the work place, when they’re not getting enough time off from the salt mine. I have had two people retire since I started my businesses. Once they made the decision, I tried my best to make it easy on them, to leave gracefully, with no ill will. It was hard to see them go, but I made sure they had the time to impart special knowledge and information to their successors. I still invite them along on company outings (ball games, zoo tunes concerts, etc.) and they both come most of the time.

Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming retirement!

gracie
    Participant

Shelley – last night I “hit the wall” and left a little earlier than I anticipated. Needed desperately to get a good nights sleep — and I did. I came into work today at 11:30 instead of intended 8:00 and consequently will have to stay later.
    I’m having a meeting with my boss next week about this. And as far as someone to help – not going to happen. I don’t want to speak ill of someone here but suffice to say wouldn’t work out.
    I feel rejuveniated getting a really good night sleep and I had the “luxury” of having a good meal in restaurant this morning before coming to work. I can almost..almost see the light at end of tunne…and it’s not a train coming at me!
    I have decided I can only do so much and this other person I sorta mentioned the remainder will fall on her. I have no choice and I’m certainly not going to delay retirement because of this – I already did that by delaying one month.
    Thanks for the suggestions and congrats! Silly but as it gets closer I’m finding myself wanting to cry – like last night & then this morning. It’s going to be a big change being a non-working woman. But I have many plans in mind of what I’m going to do – initially chill for the summer, work on my yard, get started again on walking & swimming regime, GET A PUPPY (first and foremost) and ultimately look into volunteering. Winter time work on inside of house, i.e., painting, etc. I love to read & will probably join a book club somewhere. Unless I find that I can’t survive financially (can’t see that) only then would I get a part time job in the late, late future.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement