Good restaurant Ballard/Northgate area

Home Forums Open forum Good restaurant Ballard/Northgate area

This topic contains 28 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  gracie 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author

gracie
    Participant

Friend is taking a female friend out to dinner tomorrow. He asked about good restaurants in area.
    Can you give me some ideas to pass on? I don’t know if he is interested in ethnic restaurants, such as India type food or Asian.
    Appreciate any good suggestions

Miss Julie
    Participant

Is he going for fancy or cool?

I find that the food at Matador (for my unrefined pallet) is awesome and might provide decent ambiance and has a primo location on Market. Can’t beat Thai Siam if your friend is willing to go ethnic. Love the decor and atmosphere, too.

The Tin Hat has my favorite bar grub around.

gracie
    Participant

Miss Julie – forgot to mention – I had mentioned Matador and Chinooks and have been to both. He is definitely looking for something more “fancy” than “cool.” He’s really not the “cool” type – not speaking ill of him, it’s just not him. And he’s definitely not looking for bar food. Thanks for suggestions though.

boatgeek
    Participant

Saffron Grill (Indian) is hard to beat if ethnic is OK.

Edog
    Participant

Threads like this helped kill the forum!

gracie
    Participant

“Who let the dog out…”
    And to the others, THANKS. What’s nice about these forums is helping each other. Many have said it before.
    So keep on keeping on, MB folks!

Cate
    Participant

Well there is always Rays if he wants to go fancy. Or Chinooks for a little bit lower price point. Not my kind of place, but a high-end chain restaurant at Northgate is Sanfords.

Edog
    Participant

gracie
    Participant

Edog – And????????????????????????????

Edog
    Participant

I thought we were talking about little friends?

Anonymous

What about the Golden Beetle?

Shelley

Gosh Gracie,

Maybe the original request could be slightly more specific, but here goes:
    Ray’s
    Delancey
    Bastille
    Pasta Bella
    La Isla
    Anthony’s
    Staple & Fancy
    Taki’s
    Wild Orchid
    Volterra

I’ve eaten at all of these and enjoyed my meals and service. Pretty sure I’ve skipped some that are worthy of a mention.

Not hating here, but wouldn’t this be better asked in the “Reader Recommendations” part of the forums? http://www.myballard.com/groups/reader-recommendations/

Miss Julie
    Participant

Oh the steak at Bastille is sublime. Volterra is fancy enough, I would think, and I considered suggesting Ray’s but I find the noise level in the restaurant to be awfully loud.

plasticbags
    Participant

+1 for Golden Beetle.

On a side note, I’ll give a moment of silence for your friendzoned pal.

gracie
    Participant

He was happy with the suggestions I got from you guys. (I had told him I was going to go here for suggestions and he was fine with that).
    And Shelley, I’m not used to using the new “Recommendations, Lost Pets, Found Pets, separate forums – plus the ones I have seen the replies aren’t as fast as posting here – and he is going out with his friend tomorrow. And I completely forgot about all the great restaurants you mentioned – some I’m going to try!
    Thanks again.

Cate
    Participant

Ooh, Golden Beetle! Great suggestion. The best meal I’ve had in the last few years was from there.

briarrose
    Participant

Edog you know full well that gracie post just to post.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

All good suggestions from what I’ve seen though I was quite disappointed in Ray’s the last time I was there. I don’t like the new menu as well and the food seemed a bit below what it had been in the past.

I’d go Voltarre or Bastille myself if fancy is the criteria but I would add in the Ponti over in Fremont as well.

personally I’m a huge La Isla fan so can never go wrong there.

gracie
    Participant

Briar rose – why that comment? I’ve never had any dispute with you. And I don’t post just to post. If it will satisfy you, I can have my friend call you. Jeesh.

celizabethd
    Participant

Gracie…everyone knows BR is unpleasant just for the sake of being unpleasant. It’s no reflection on you or anyone else.

gracie
    Participant

celizabethd – I actually thought that after I posted. I think this is a first time for me being her latest – lucky me!!!
    But back to subject here – I learned of restaurants I had never tried – like the Golden Beetle. Sounds like it is pretty good.
    Have a good day and of course like everyone in Seattle is saying – GO HAWKS!

briarrose
    Participant

Really gracie. For years we have seen this same old same old thread about the same mainstream boring places of which everyone is aware. I guess you just forgot all the Ballard places that are always mentioned. Maybe just a look at all the restaurants reviewed on his site might have jogged your memory instead of having the same old conversation? Ballard to Northgate? There have to be at least 500 places in what might be called that area and we never see more than 10 middle of the road places mentioned.

Boring is a site killer.

Miss Julie
    Participant

Maybe some folks would just like to dialog with others and chat about things? Like on a forum, because that’s what forums are for??? Goodness. Snark is a site killer.

briarrose
    Participant

What makes a forum like this work is different voices on interesting issues. I have hope for new blood with the ability to regists but so far nothing.

gracie
    Participant

What is interesting to some isn’t to others – and thus why they don’t even look on those forums. So if you don’t dig these types of forums, do yourself a favor and don’t look.
    And I found this interesting in that there were many restaurants I had never tried. And maybe discussed in past but in meantime lots of new restaurants have opened.
    And Miss Julie – totally agree with you. Snark is a site killer – BIG TIME.
    She may have been hoping for “more interesting issues”. I was hoping, and had seen until now, no snarking, no threats (like one where a poster here was threatened to burn her house down with her in it), no foul language, like the “C” word bantered around, the “f” bomb thrown around. They forget all ages could read these forums and that language just isn’t acceptable here. IMHO.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.