Grammys

Home Forums Open forum Grammys

This topic contains 31 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  SmartsyArtsy 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author

AprilJoy Greenwell
    Participant

Is anyone else excited about the Grammys ? I am just as excited about the Grammys as I am the Super Bowl.

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis are nominated in seven catagories !

I hope they sweep up all seven but especially the Grammy for Song of the Year. I tear up every time I see the “Same Love” Video. Mary, Ryan and Ben did a great job on that song and it really deserves the Song of the Year Grammy.

great idea
    Participant

I know it’s a proper noun, but I still want to spell it ‘grammies’

AprilJoy Greenwell
    Participant

Me too. But then it would look like a thread where we are chatting about Grandmothers. :)

AprilJoy Greenwell
    Participant

Just read that :
    Queen Latifah will officiate when 34 couples from different orientations and backgrounds — gay, straight, of different races and so on — will be married during the “Same Love” performance at the GRAMMYs Sunday night.

AprilJoy Greenwell
    Participant

Yes! First Grammy of the night : Best New Artist goes to Macklemore and Ryan Lewis !
    Way to represent for Seattle !

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

PINK!

Cate
    Participant

If I was the marrying type, I’d think it pretty cool to have Queen Latifah do the honors (but would expect her to sing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev-8EqYk-fk).

AprilJoy Greenwell
    Participant

SmartsyArtsy, OMG Pink was awesome. She was actually singing while doing all the acrobatics !

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

She did that a few years ago too. She is an amazing athlete

AprilJoy Greenwell
    Participant

SA, I agree, she actually looks like a Gymnast.

Cate, that would be a great song to have her sing.

plasticbags
    Participant

It would have made my night if Kendrick Lamar stole Kacey Musgrave’s mic to sing “Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe”. Who thought it was a good idea to follow up such an intense performance with a cute country girl in light up boots? She’s good and it wasn’t fair to her.

AprilJoy Greenwell
    Participant

Too much of a sharp shift, plasticbags ?

There is such a wide variety tonight. Collaborations with old and young. Then Paul and Ringo…Willy and Chris. Pretty awesome so far.

Edog
    Participant

Did anyone else think Metallica look bored during their performance?

jj
    Participant

YES – I thought that was a bad choice of a song for Metallica to perform. How do you shorten an 8+ minute song that’s best feature is that it slowly builds up. They should have picked a different song.

plasticbags
    Participant

There are short Metallica songs? I loved the pianist and his “whatevah, I’ll wear a baby blue sateen jacket if I want” attitude.

Also my first impression of them was that WOW they got old. I also imagined James saying “suck it” to Katy Perry at the end. Her “dark” performance seemed silly compared to these guys who have been doing it forever.

The show was much funnier with the mental additions I made.

Also, please stop parading Smokey Robinson and Ringo Starr around. The Millenials beg of you.

ladybuk
    Participant

Great observation jj. Spot-on. Although “One” is my favorite Metallica song and I did think the addition of Lang Lang was a cool idea, (when he and Kirk fed off each other for a hot moment, it was smokin’), it seemed like addition of the piano and the decision to cut the song short severely killed its vibe!

ladybuk
    Participant

Hahaha! Plasticbags, I very much enjoy reading your observations as well!

While Katy Perry is abnormally gorgeous, what was that hilariously bad, Nimbus 2000 humping, clearance-rack Halloween costume wearing, cheesy bit of sing/stripper-ing that was her performance? Silly indeed!

Yay for Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and “Same Love”. Boo to Jay-Z for rapping “I’m Ike. Eat the cake, Anna Mae!” I sincerely hope that I heard that wrong or way out of context.

Edog
    Participant

It depressed me that Stevie Wonder sounded so bad. His voice is forever associated with power and energy in my mind. To hear him strain like that… it just made me blue.

ladybuk
    Participant

Edog +1

celizabethd
    Participant

I really liked the Stevie Wonder Pharell Freak thing. It wasn’t perfect
    but it was fun & it was a good match of old school & new generation.

That being said, I am so disappointed they gave Royals song of the year over
    Same Love. It clearly was the most powerful song of the year & I think
    most people know it.

ladybuk
    Participant

I get what Edog is saying though ‘cuz I am a HUGE Stevie fan. The absolute clarity and power of his beautiful voice on so many iconic songs, “Uptight”, “I Was Made to Love Her”, “Superstitious”, etc made it sorta sad to see his bright star dimming (as far as his singing is concerned).

Edog
    Participant

I felt the same way about Paul McCartney and Willie Nelson. Both have been such a strong singers for so long. Last night they both sounded so old. It makes me realize how much older I am, and I don’t like discovering it. I mean, “One” was out when I was in highschool! Why were all these old wrinklies on stage anyway???? And when did I become so old?

ladybuk
    Participant

Man, Edog, you nailed it again. That is what I wanted to add in my Stevie comment. Maybe we was gettin’ the sads ‘cuz we were confronted by our own decrepitation in the denouement of this life and of all of the innocence we lost since those guys were at their peak. When Metallica played One, I sorely noticed the absence of Jason Newstead but also fondly remembered him becoming my first long-haired metal-dude crush after seeing him head-bang in the video! If I head-bang that vigorously now, I am sore for two days afterward!

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

April, you might enjoy seeing Pink’s first acrobatic/singing Grammy feat. I just cam across this PH collection

http://perezhilton.com/galleries/pink-grammys-2014-10-most-electrifying-performances-of-all-time/?id=411706

I too felt pain hearing Stevie Wonder last night, and I have long thought Paul M should retire.

Overall, I always look forward to the interesting pairings

pennygirl
    Participant

This why I never listen to Edog. Anyone who plays the piano would understand how massive that was, and how difficult it was to put together. Yes, they had to shorten the song, but what it resulted in was amazing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.