Happy Svetende Mai Norwegians and "honorary" Norwegians

Home Forums Open forum Happy Svetende Mai Norwegians and "honorary" Norwegians

This topic contains 56 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Darth Satan 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • Author

gracie
    Participant

HAPPY Norwegian Independence Day. So this morning Pickles the cat jumped up on bed. As petting her I said, Happy
    Independence day. You are on honorary Norwegian. To which she reared back her ears, swatted at my hand and left room. Guess she must be a Swede!!
    Have a glorious day all you My Ballard folks!!

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

it’s Norwegian Constitution Day not Independence Day. the celebration is for the drafting of the Norwegian Constitution in 1814 when they thought they were going to be independent after Denmark had sided with Napoleon in the Napoleonic Wars, however instead Norway was given to Sweden instead to make for Sweden’s loss of Finland to Russia in 1809 (before Russia was anti-Napoleon). Norway finally became independent on October 26, 1905 but Norwegians prefer to celebrate May 17th instead.

as someone of Swedish & Finnish heritage I will pass on the honorary Norwegian status but say to my Norwegian friends: enjoy!!

gracie
    Participant

For us Norwegians we also think of it as independence day. Like my dad, born in Norway, always said, “you can tell a Swede but not very much”- his “humor”, not mine.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

no worries gracie, us swedes say the same thing about ourselves.

and honestly I wouldn’t have known better except I took a class on Scandinavian Studies in college, the teacher was Dane and made sure I knew the history!

PlantLover
    Participant

Hmmm. A celebration of a nation or region that has not been co-opted by others like St. Patrick’s Day, Cinco de Mayo, or even Columbus day. Maybe lutefisk and akvavit are not compelling celebratory fare?

pennygirl
    Participant

Gracie, an old friend of mine lives in Norway with his Norwegian wife, and yes, they celebrated it as Independence Day.

Edog
    Participant

Pokerguy was right the cheerleaders of Ballard High could stand to miss a few meals.

oldguybc
    Participant

Hamingjusamur þjóðhátíðardagur Bandaríkjamanna, from the bottom of my Icelandic heart!

C’mon, Doggie, give the girls a break! We can’t all be in West Vegas…

gracie
    Participant

And it is assinine comments like that about cheerleaders that contributes to eating disorders. Not everyone is,size 2 so,get over it. Teenagers have enough pressure in their lives and don’t need comments like this posted by two supposed GROWN men. Sure if you have a daughter you wouldn’t like comments like that made to her.

Allison W
    Participant

Hate speech.

Hate speech directed at children.

Wow.

Edog
    Participant

No, I was lamenting the disappearance of our beloved Pokerguy.

Wow

gracie
    Participant

Doesn’t read like that. Why not just say miss him..why bring up subject about the cheerleaders. Makes,no sense.

Cate
    Participant

I watched the parade from my deck. Thought the Ballard High contingent looked energetic, happy and active. Can’t say that I noticed their body dimensions, let alone thought to criticize them. It says a lot about you edog that you felt compelled to publicly criticize these students.

pennygirl
    Participant

“No, I was lamenting the disappearance of our beloved Pokerguy.

Wow”

No you weren’t. You were being a dick. Hopefully you never have a daughter who will be subjected to the same nasty comment by a middle aged man in the future.

Edog
    Participant

So happy I could provide you all with your daily affirmation. I mean, if it were not for people like me, you would not know how good you all are!

GAM
    Participant

I think the comment should be deleted. It’s that bad.

I’m sorry you can’t see that, Edog.

oldguybc
    Participant

How do we really know that Pokerguy and Stopgo are really “gone”? They might have been someone else all the time, same as Streak & Cesar5…
    Only time I ever wore a mask was at a Halloween party years ago, some people need one on all the time, sorta feel sorry for them.
    Gracie, you’re an absolute gem, a beautiful soul, far too sensitive for your own good, you are sorta like a number of my daughters, would really like to meet you someday.

pennygirl
    Participant

Edog is here and he is perpetuating the hate.

plasticbags
    Participant

Not cool.

Edog
    Participant

Hate?

Cate
    Participant

I would argue that your willingness to stand in public judgement of the bodies of young women you have never met demonstrates a certain level of misogyny, hatred of women. That it is common in society does not make it acceptable.

great idea
    Participant

it’s not worth riling up the coven, Edog, now is it?

gracie
    Participant

Thanks, oldguy. I found his comment totally distasteful and what GROWN UP MAN says things like that on a public forum, where one of those girls could see it.That could constitute, by the way the law is written, as sexual harassment in my workplace.
    It is just wrong to go after teenagers, whether it be female or male. It’s wrong.
    And yes, oldguy, I am too sensitive on some issues but that’s me. I don’t see “humor” in going after one’s physical appearance, be it weight, too tall, boobs too big ( being tall and developed early something I went through for harassment when in 6th grade), race, wear glasses,even red hair the list goes on.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

Wait a minute. . .I’m sure you will all hate me now but Edog just said the cheerleaders were overweight. I don’t see how that is hate speech. Sure, “miss a few meals” sounds bad but it is an effective way to shed some extra pounds.

Also, how is it sexual harassment? He said nothing sexual or gender based at all.

gracie
    Participant

Jimmy – I said in my workplace the outline of our sexual harassment ihvolves comments about weight, i.e., general appearance. It even says if I were to ask you what you were doing this coming weekend, can’t do. Can’t say “nice dress” or “nice suit”. These were the rules when initially instituted here some years back.
    (I just looked up definition of sexual harassment and it is totally different than what my company laid out before. So I will retract the sexual harassment issue. But I can say that what happened to me at work was DEFINITELY sexual harassment. I was sitting at my desk kind of sideways when a “higher up” (who happened to be my boyfriend’s boss who worked down the hall from me) came up to my desk, reached down & up my dress & grabbed me right in the crotch area and then just walked on. Of course I was shocked and others observed it & reported it. Now THAT is definitely sexual harassment and the man was eventually let go of the company Turns out he had been drinking during lunch but no excuse for behavior).
    And “miss a few meals” is not an effective way to shed some extra pounds if you are saying it to someone..especially a teenager. And who is he to make a comment about a teenager’s weight? It is none of his business to post that on an online blog. You just don’t seem to get it how it could hurt that teenager if she/he were to read it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement