Happy Svetende Mai Norwegians and "honorary" Norwegians

Home Forums Open forum Happy Svetende Mai Norwegians and "honorary" Norwegians

This topic contains 56 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Darth Satan 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

Damn Gracie. . .that sounds more like sexual assault! What did your boyfriend do when that happened?

Anyway, the cheerleaders were overweight (I’m assuming because I wasn’t there) and Edog said they were overweight. If in fact they were overweight, can we be angry at Edog for making an accurate statement based on the facts?

@ Allison: I do understand that it was a mean thing that Edog said and that these girls could have their feelings hurt if they happen to read this forum but c’mon. . .hate speech?

Hate speech = speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.

Saying mean things =/= hate speech. Come to think of it, throwing the term “hate speech” around willy-nilly would prbably be pretty offensive for people who have been victims of actual hate speech.

gracie
    Participant

In the whole picture what relevence is it if they were overweight or not. Because they are cheerleaders they should be Barbie Dolls? Things have changed. Some for good. Some for bad.
    And this is no place for him or anyone to judge a girl based on her weight and yes it is wrong for Edog to say it. It is, IMHO, mean. I wouldn’t say hate. I’d say mean and uncalled for.
    Jimmy – my EX-boyfriend..heavy on the EX..did NOTHING! We had broken up but trying to patch things up and then he had the balls to say “I asked for it.” and “how does it feel to burn a guy and his career.” Kicked that ass to the curb. Since I was the first around here I was subjected to lots of looks. Even had the big boss wanting me to watch what I wear. I promptly told him I was wearing a dress that day that went below knees, buttoned up to collar and long sleeves. I am not watching what I wear because I did nothing wrong. And I wore nothing that was considered not office appropriate..nothing. I camethisclose to quitting because guys I didn’t know would come up to my office, asking for me by name, look at me and then leave. I was feeling like the one who did something wrong for awhile and it was very stressful. And in the process some other women came forward where he had done the same thing but they were afraid to report it. It was even written in a book written locally. I wasn’t approached by author..he got info from people around here and it wasn’t totally accurate..including spelling of my name.

Edog
    Participant

Misogynist? I can’t be a misogynist! I voted for Hillary in the primary, am an avid fan of Rachel Maddow, and even watched Fried Green Tomatoes last night. Any sexism you detect in me is probably a residual side effect of growing up when Pauly Shore was on MTV teaching us all about the Chill’in Nature before he was taken off the air pacified and put back on sans bikini clad chicks! I mean, if you were in your late teens prior to the Clarence Thomas Anita Hill hearings, your mind was ruined by Andew Dice Clay, Spuds Mackenzie and all the cheap T&A the Beer Companies pushed on us underage drunks! Christ the only reason I’m as decent as I am today it because REM came along and reprogrammed us into a bunch of sensitive poem reading pseudo intellectuals, and god bless 10,000 Maniacs for that!

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

Grace, I would agree with everything you are saying if these girls weren’t cheerleaders. It’s not like Edog was commenting on a group of random high school girls. While it may or may not be a sport, cheerleading is an athletic, competitive activity. I’m not an expert but, if i had to guess, I would say that body mass and overall fitness play a huge part in cheerleading performance.

Let’s say I was at a basketball game and a bunch of fat players ran onto the court. That would be weird.

Anyway, that is crazy what happened to you. I used to work at a place where there was one guy that every lady knew to stay away from (promise it wasn’t me). This guy was reported multiple times for lewd comments and still had a job. What’s sad is the fact that all of the women just dealt with it and learned to avoid the guy.

phoo
    Participant

A person can be physically fit and still look “chunky.” Conversely, someone can be non-physically fit and look skinny. Fitness and weight are not always associated.

Something people fail to consider these days is if you are poor and have to eat super cheap, the odds are very high that you will look fat or at least chunky. It’s not as much about how much you eat but WHAT you eat. If you eat products full of carbs and cornsyrup, it will stimulate your appetite to be hungry faster, pack on the weight and will slowly breed insulin resistance which will also help you pack on the weight. So maybe those cheerleaders eat too many fries, or maybe they are poor and can only afford mac and cheese, maybe that’s just their body type and they can’t do shit about it. At any rate, who died and left us to be god about it? They’ve probably got enough peer pressure to deal with.

Starving oneself for short periods of time has the unfortunate consequence of putting the body in “starvation mode” where when you DO eat something (and unless they become anorexic they will go back to eating), the body sends the signal to store as much as possible as fat.

Gracie, I agree with Jimmy Rustler. What happened to you wasn’t sexual harrassment – it was sexual assault. The guy could have been arrested for that. And what happened to you afterwards is a textbook definition of “hostile work environment.”

gracie
    Participant

Thanks Phoo. I was about to say the same. Plus “chunky” or not, you still have to try out for the cheerleader team.
    Yep, I agree it was sexual assault but they chose to call it harassment. Maybe if I was a a little older and wiser I could have pursued sexual assault. And it was totally a hostile work environment. I couldn’t believe I was being treated as the “suspect” – that I had enticed him, that I asked for it, that “he could’t have done that” (even though witnesses), that I cost a man to lose his job. The comments hurt from the selected few who thought them but thankfully I did have some good support at work and friends. Still my stress level was extremely high, felt like anvil on my chest. When my ex-boyfriend said that to me about how does it feel to burn a guy’s career I have to admit it was the most hurtful thing ever but it also opened my eyes to what a complete a**hole he was. And he couldn’t believe when I said it’s over. No getting back together. I’m through. Think my exact words had a few “f” bombs throughout!!

plasticbags
    Participant

Females in aesthetic sports have a far higher chance of developing eating disorders than the general population. Additionally, the vast majority of easting disorders occur in females under 20 years old. Teenage girls are already hyperaware of their appearance, so pointing out “problems” with their appearance just further confirms the incessant internal monologue they already live with. It may seem like it’s no big deal because it’s not being said to their faces and chances are they don’t read MB. But even overhearing that kind of talk directed towards another girl can have a big impact on a teenage girl. Just something to think about.

This is a good resource: http://www.anad.org/get-information/about-eating-disorders/eating-disorders-statistics/

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@phoo: There are people out there that consider cheerleading a sport. Athletes are judged and criticized for their physique all the time. Is there a reason that cheerleaders should be exempt from this? Also, when I mentioned that cheerleaders probably need to be fit, I mostly meant they need to be light (for all the jumping and human pyramiding and whatnot).

Edog
    Participant

FWIW – I’ve always found NFL cheerleaders to be downright scary in every measure of their appearance. They look more like masked monsters as seen in Scooby Doo than women.

gracie
    Participant

+1 plasticbags

great idea
    Participant

Jimmy Rustler + 1

although you also need a strong ‘base’ for those pyramids.

I would think a good cheer leading squad would have a variety of body types.

phoo
    Participant

JR: Actually, I think cheerleading should be classified as a sport. That way the rate of injuries will be looked at and reduced. They do unsafe things all the time, but they don’t enjoy the same benefits as other sports because someone decided it wasn’t a sport even though they are doing some very physical things.

I can’t remember ever hearing people say a football or basketball player should miss a few meals – after all, someone could jump higher if they were lighter, right? In fact, I’ve heard recently that schools were in fact causing football players to be hungry often and there’s been a hullabaloo about it. But if there are to be fitness tests and whatnot, that’s the job of the coach. Not the public.

An anorexic would be really nice and light, but fragile and with no muscle to be able to land accurately, let alone be able to toss anyone else.

great idea
    Participant

these are high school athletes (or aesthetes for plastic bags ;) so they’re bodies are still growing and we should cut them some slack.

however, professional athletes are called out all the time for putting on too much weight, especially during the off-season.

fat guys

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@phoo: “I can’t remember ever hearing people say a football or basketball player should miss a few meals.” Just off the top of my head: Charles Barkley was called fat since the beginning of his career. Nobody ever accused his critics of hate speech.

The only 2 sports I have ever been interested in are boxing and cycling. In both of these sports, weight is a huge factor in how well the athletes perform. Cycling even has it’s fair share of athletes with eating disorders because the sport is all power/weight ratio. In Boxing, it is a constant struggle for fighters to stay in their weight brackets.

Cate
    Participant

As I said earlier, I watched the parade and this was a group of energetic, active young women. They appeared well within the typical range for high school girls. Edog had no basis for his statements to begin with. It seems he was commenting on what he would like to see in young girls bodies. High school girls representing their high school shouldn’t have to meet the standards of anyone but themselves. You know the old rallying cry “Our Bodies, Ourselves.” Now if you want to comment about Venus/Serena Williams, that is probably fair game.

Darth Satan
    Participant

And that’s why you are an idiot, Cate!

Note, I’m now a Sith as summoned by the coven. No more Edog!

Mondoman
    Participant

Ahhhh… Some days I really, really, really wish the site software offered a “permanent ignore” option.

phoo
    Participant

Alright, Jimmy Rustler, I stand corrected. I probably shouldn’t pulled in paid public sports figures.

pennygirl
    Participant

I can’t believe this. Or maybe I can. Someone makes a really rude comment about the weight of teenage girls, and it descends into a discussion that has nothing to do with the original comment.

Teenage girls come in all shapes and sizes. These girls are cheerleaders, so they are probably expected to have some level of athletic health – that does not mean they have to be skinny.

As for Edog – I’ve seen him and he could do with losing more than a few pounds, so he might want to knock it off.

Allison W
    Participant

I think talking about the bodies of teenage cheerleaders definitely goes to hate speak. Women are beaten down enough for how they look without picking on the young ones. The poster has posted well more than his share of misogynistic comments, they’re just not typically aimed at children.

great idea
    Participant

where was this outrage when pokerguy said the same thing?

is it because Edog, er “Darth Satan” is generally not as obnoxious as said-poster?

I feel like I was similarly attacked in that ‘tater-tot’ thread.

Darth Satan
    Participant

What you think, Allison, is of no consequence. You and your idiot trio has summoned me here to this dark part of the universe – Ballard! You need my hate, your hate, to feel good about how horrible you are. Feel the power of the dark side!

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

gracie
    Participant

Jimmy – that video says it all.
    And this supposed “Dark Vader” it is just another name to hide behind because the writing style is the same, same type of comments. “Dark Vader” you are too obvious. You can change your “name” but your comments read the same.

Allison W
    Participant

There was plenty of blowback when Poker said that kind of stuff. He was reported on several occasions by multiple people as well.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement