Has anyone noticed….

Home Forums Open forum Has anyone noticed….

This topic contains 27 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Edog 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Matthew
    Participant

the highly unusual way Jeff Lynne ( Electric Light Orchestra, Travelling Wilburys ) pronounces “creeping” ?

Just askin’

pennygirl
    Participant

In Rockaria? No.

Matthew
    Participant

And “Mr. Blue Sky “…amongst others, but yes, in particular in “Rockaria”.

Which, imho, rocks rather largely.

pennygirl
    Participant

Great tune. It sounds fine to me, but then again, I’m from his neck of the woods.

Matthew
    Participant

Birmingham, England?

pennygirl
    Participant

Not far.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Matthew – PG beat me to it but I was about to say that if you are from Birmingham UK then you might talk like Jeff! Both PG and me are from the UK, I went to art school in Birmingham many years ago and can vouch for the fact that he has a Brummie accent.

Edog
    Participant

I think the real question is can they call that “Johnny Winter Live from Japan” when he is that close to death?

Matthew
    Participant

WellI certainly have been schooled in this thread, that is for sure. Thank you for the education.

Smells Fishy
    Participant

You got that right, my friend. I have to admit, I did too. PG and VB are our resident Brits even if they claim to be Welch.

pennygirl
    Participant

It’s not Welch, it’s Welsh. Wales also happens to be part of Great Britain.That’s like saying you are American even though you claim to be from WA State.

Or something like that…

VeganBiker
    Participant

Well said pg.
    I like to say it’s like GB is like America and Wales is like Canada only much smaller, Wales is a country in the bigger Great Briton and Canada is a country in America. The United States of America is another country in America.
    BC – “Welch” is something people from the USA do on their bets.

saffythepook
    Participant

As long as we’re getting schooled, shortening the “United States of America” to “America” can be offensive to our Latin American neighbors. After all, they’re (Central or South) American too. If you want to shorten it, go with “United States” or just “US”.

Ernie
    Participant

VB, the US and Canada have completely independent governments, aren’t England and Wales administered under basically the same set of laws more like PG’s US/WA example? Like, does Wales have it’s own Parliament?

I apologize if this is a dumb question, I always thought they were more closely tied governmentally.

pennygirl
    Participant

Ernie – Wales has a National Assembly that has (limited) law making powers without having to get the ok from the UK govt. That said, their hands are tied on most things.

Saffy The Pook – sorry for referring to the US as America. And yes, if you are from the US, Jeff Lynne’s pronunciation of ‘creeping’ might sound a little odd.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Ernie – like pg mentioned, Wales does have a National Assembly that is a Welsh government body, however Wales is a country, has it’s own language,flag and national anthem. Unfortunately it was invaded and occupied by the English many years ago. Like the Scots, the Welsh are still attempting to become an independent nation again.
    So, no, it is not the same as a state in a country but more like a country alongside another country.

Matthew
    Participant

wow…and this is related to Jeff Lynne’s pronunciations how?

I think I will start another random music post, just for the simple pleasure of seeing where it ends up. Highly recreational. Watch for it soon!

Edog
    Participant

GB is like America and Wales is like Canada only much smaller

Oh come now Veganbiker! Are you really that dull compared to the rest of GB? And surely not all Welshman are so burly, strapping and homely, just as I assume your women are not so plain? Lastly I’m pretty sure Welsh hockey s*cks balls, not that I’ve ever seen it.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Matthew – welcome to the My Ballard Forum! When you post a random ‘Topic” here it can lead to anything and nothing.. Loads of fun.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Edog – I was comparing the governmental logistics of Wales, not the people. Welsh men are all stocky miners or sheep farmers and play rugby and sing in male voice choirs and drink lots of warm beer. And on Sundays we go to chapel and speak a language that nobody but themselves can understand. So a bit like Canadian men, I suppose.
    Welsh women are totally different, they are beauty personified, a wonder to behold. Most male visitors to Wales are awed by the Welsh women’s good looks and charmed by their womanly ways.

pennygirl
    Participant

What he said.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Edog
    Participant

Ruh-roh!

Matthew
    Participant

Thanks Vegan. I was on the “old” forum as well, and noted how things stumbled off the tracks. Always a good time.

FYI, I am a Canadian myself, and am well aware of how wonderful we are. LOL.

pennygirl
    Participant

Love those pictures VB!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement