Hey cyclists….

Home Forums Open forum Hey cyclists….

This topic contains 25 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Sunset Hill David 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Shelley

<rant>
    Probably preaching to the choir, but yesterday seemed like a banner day for idiot cyclists. Don’t know if these folk have death wishes or what, but cripes, they’re giving all cyclists a bad name. That driver you pissed off may transfer their rage at your idiocy to the next cyclist they see.

1. Just because you’re on a fixed gear bike it doesn’t give you permission to blow through stop signs or signals.
    2. Wear a helmet. An inordinate percentage of the bozo moves seem to be perpetrated by the helmetless.
    3. Don’t turn right at an intersection where traffic is stopped for a light, go 50 feet, make a U, then turn right again.
    4. If you are on the sidewalk (perfectly legal) slow down to pedestrian speed before rolling into the crosswalk, so drivers have a chance to see you. Even better, make eye contact, just like you would if you were walking.

A little courtesy and common sense makes the road safer for all cyclists.
    </rant>

Gurple
    Participant

I’m a cyclist. I agree, there’s a lot of bad behavior out there, by cyclists and drivers alike, and it creates a lot of ill will between cyclists and drivers. And you’re right, cyclists who do bad things make life more dangerous for all cyclists, because driver road rage is a fact of life. I call out bad behavior on the street when I see it.

You know what also creates a lot of ill will between cyclists and drivers, though? Your post.

great idea
    Participant

I was driving Southeast on Leary Way yesterday when I stopped for a traffic light around 8th Ave.
    after our light turned green, I watched as an older guy in lycra drifted across the intersection on his bike (I guess he was coming down the hill and did not want to be inconvenienced with a red light).

anyway, I yelled “hey buddy– you’re giving us all a bad name!”

I don’t know if he heard me or not, but it sure felt good.

Shelley

Thanks gurple. I didn’t intend it to create ill will. Just to clear things up, I am a cyclist. I don’t own a car.

Darth Satan
    Participant

The people who drive like sh*t in cars, are the same people who drive like sh*t on bikes. Threads like this don’t create ill will, driving any vehicle like sh*t does.

noob
    Participant

I don’t understand rant #3?

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

I’m mostly a pedestrian or bus rider and I can honestly say there’s bad behavior no matter what mode of transportation you use, bicyclists are the ones noticed the most because they can go on the road on the sidewalk whereas you can’t drive a car down a sidewalk or walk down the middle of the road very easily.

My biggest pet peeve is the cyclists who fail to honor Red lights and stop signs. If you want others to respect your right to be on the road then respect the same traffic laws as the ones you want to share the road with you. I constantly yell at the ones who don’t as well as the drivers who don’t get that you’re supposed to stop at the start of a cross walk not halfway through it.

Darth Satan
    Participant

When operating a car, we don’t make eye contact with other motorists because it is considered threatening between primates. As a bicyclist or pedestrian, we need to make eye contact with others as it helps establish order and safety in confusing situations. Poor bicycling bothers us more because it is intimate which our monkey species does not like.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

I still think it’s crazy that cycling on the sidewalk is legal here. . .

Nora Bell
    Participant

My biggest pet peeve on this subject too, SunsetHillGuy. I see many cyclists stop at stop signs, and to let me cross at a red light. But those who don’t, those who blow through them, give me pedestrian rage. Sidewalk rage? ;-)

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

I actually saw a cyclist stopped a red light in front of me and give a left turn signal with his hand last night on way home, he even waited for the light to turn green before he turned. I wanted to run out and thank him!!

Anonymous

“My biggest pet peeve is the cyclists who fail to honor Red lights and stop signs. If you want others to respect your right to be on the road then respect the same traffic laws as the ones you want to share the road with you.”

YES. YES. YES.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

<reply> I know I’m not speaking to the choir on this. Every day is a banner day for idiot automobile drivers.
    1. Just because you are driving an automobile, doesn’t mean you can roll through stop signs, through the crosswalk, and stop at the edge of the travel lane. You must fully stop your automobile behind the stop sign or before the stop line. If you want others to respect your right to be on the road then respect the same traffic laws as the ones you want to share the road with. Watch a stop sign some time, and count how many automobile drivers stop behind the sign or the stop line. Virtually none. If you want to see car after car after car blowing through a stop sign, head down to the Ballard Bridge southbound on ramp at NW Ballard Way, where all bicycle drivers must enter the horrible Ballard Bridge.
    2. Stop texting. Stop talking on the phone. An inordinate percentage of the automobile drives are using their phones while driving, endangering all road users.
    3. Don’t turn right without stopping. Stop your car before the stop line. And don’t stop your automobile in the crosswalk. Go down to 22nd and Market sometime,and see how many bozos in automobiles will stop their automobile right in the crosswalk. Virtually every single light cycle.
    4. Don’t think for one second that what you think is eye contact is eye contact. Automobile drivers will routinely look right through a cyclist or a pedestrian as they are scanning for automobiles. Automobiles have windshields with glare; most cyclists can’t actually see inside of your car.
    5. Don’t stop your car to waive through a cyslist who is signalling for a turn. You have the right of way. Failing to take it is illegal and causes confusion. I know you are trying to be polite, and I thank you for that, but you are making the road much more dangerous. No way am I going to pull in front of your automobile with my bicycle when you have the right of way. This situation will turn into a standoff until you take your right of way.
    6. Learn to look for all users of the road and of the sidewalk. Bicycles can and do legally use the sidewalk.
    7. Quit speeding up to pass a bicycle driver, and then slam on your brakes to make a right turn right in front of him. Seriously, it takes two seconds to follow the bicycle and then make your turn.
    8. Oh, and just quit speeding. Virtually all automobile drivers illegally speed.
    9. Oh, and quit drinking and driving. Automobile drivers seem to have a habit of drinking too much, driving and killing people. This is very bad.

A little courtesy and common sense makes the road safer for all road users.

Ernie
    Participant

Salmon Bay wins the whole internet today!

Anonymous

Salmon Bay’s #2 point is a key one. I’m completely freaked out by the number of people I see looking down (obviously texting or reading) while driving. I would never commute by bike with so many distracted drivers on the road. It’s just too dangerous.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I have noticed a lot on 3rd Ave NW that cars turning onto the street don’t stop until a few feet after the stop sign. It can literally be scary as hell since at times I not not sure they are planning to stop. I already had my car totaled a few months ago by a woman blowing off one of those stop signs since her cell was more important than other peoples well being.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Crazy laws in this city– It is illegal for a pedestrian, walking or running, to use the road and ignore sidewalks but a vehicle like a bike or trike can legally use the sidewalk and ignore the road.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

you want to see bikes and cars fail to stop at a stop sign or pull halfway or all the way into a crosswalk on a regular basis then come to the intersection at 85th and 32nd ave going to Golden Gardens, it’s a challenge to walk across any crosswalk there at all times of the day!!

Anonymous

@Salmon Bay
    More precisely, you could have ended your second sentence at idiot…

great idea
    Participant

you had me at idiot racer ;)

people will never stop commuting and texting/talking/etc simultaneously.

which is why I somewhat agree w/ CR when she says “I would never commute by bike with so many distracted drivers on the road. It’s just too dangerous. ”
    we need more fully separated bike lanes/ paths to make it safer for the smaller, more fragile commuter. that the missing link has not been completed after what, ten years of litigation? is just mind-boggling. those new improvements between the bridge and freddy’s are nice but really a half-assed solution when you get down to it.

Anonymous

I agree, GI, they are a half-assed solution. That’s not to say I have a good answer for what the right solution is. I don’t know enough about the issue to have an opinion about that, but do know that I would never commute by bike. I’m too risk-adverse and there are too many distracted, irresponsible drivers on the road.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I have come to conclusion that the majority of bad bicyclist are the ones that don’t wear helmets. They tend to have no respect for others if they are not concerned with there own safety why would they care about others.

great idea
    Participant

lots of boneheads out on their bikes today (and I’m not even talking about the crit).

one particular guy came up behind me as I was driving my car– turning right with my signal on. of course he kept going straight on my right and I had to try hard to avoid hitting him. why are some people so dumb?

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Great Idea, it is legal for the bike driver to pass you on your right. This means when turning right, watch for bicycles. As the driver of the auto making the turn, it is up to you to be cautious and alert to traffic, be it on the sidewalk, the road or the crosswalk.

GAM
    Participant

Sliding along the right side of a car that is signaling a right turn while on a bicycle may technically be legal, but it is not even technically smart. Talk about putting yourself in harm’s way! For goodness sake, go on the left side. That’s legal too, after all. This is the type of cyclist that is giving all cyclists a bad name.

Thankfully, great idea acted exactly as you suggested. GI was able to see the boneheaded cyclist and subvert Darwinism.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement