Impersonation

Home Forums Open forum Impersonation

This topic contains 51 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Life is amazing 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Allison W
    Participant

K and I recently had an interesting go of the Hillbilly Q. It was his first experience there and while he rather enjoyed the people-watching, I don’t see us changing grocery stores. One particularly meth-faced individual commented on our puffy coats. Going to that store is not entirely unlike going to Moses Lake or Aberdeen.

pennygirl
    Participant

The Hillbilly QFC is just fine. I’ve run into more idiots at the posh one.

Cate
    Participant

In all fairness to the “Hillbilly” QFC – meth-faced individuals can be found just about everywhere.

JM98107
    Participant

Let’s see, a hillbilly with meth breath was impersonating a pastrami? I get it!

Cate
    Participant

great idea – You have problems “because that store tends to attract older people who move rather slowly”. I have to admit I had you pegged as one of those older people.

Ballardgirl
    Participant

Funny QFC came up for me today as well. While I do not regularly shop there, I occasionally end up at many of them. My mama used to like to shop at the old ‘Arts’ on Holman ‘through the back door’. I was there last week and it seemed fine. Ballard QFC is on my list when I get the free coupons in the mail. In the last 2 months, I have picked up lunch at each of the capitol hill QFC’s. Had extremely different encounters each time. First was the north one. It was like the ‘Star Wars Bar’. Several poor souls, inside and out under the influence of unknown substances, some regular shoppers, and a well dressed woman with a bruise on her cheek waiting for SPD. Today, I picked up a sandwich at the south one. It was generally more pleasant. But, due to my inability to speak Spanish, well, I kind of went to the back of the line. There were several apparently new construction workers who needed help in Spanish to fill out the form showing which sandwich they were ordering. It was nice that the lone sandwich maker was bilingual and could help them get their lunch quickly!

oldguybc
    Participant

Hey Pennygirl! glad you’re back, good to hear from you!
    I’ve been gone a while too but nobody missed me, ah the stigma of the old and losin’ it genre…
    Are my buddies iPlod, GAM & BH still alive & kickin’? Sure hope so, hope all is well with all MBers… this guy Beerrated Consort sounds suspiciously like another jerk we’ve all read before, note to all these types… GET A LIFE!

pennygirl
    Participant

Art’s was great.

teigyr
    Participant

PG, you were locked out too?!!! Hillbilly QFC now has wine tasting, cheese samples (not just Velveeta even!) and their meat selection is better, FAR better, than Cracktown Albertsons.

Allison W
    Participant

It WAS an especially colorful day at H QFC.

teigyr
    Participant

Basketballs? Keep in mind I volunteer at a place on Aurora and do some of my minor errand shopping at Albertsons so anything is an improvement, even 7-11.

Angeline
    Participant

We get our pastrami from Grocery Outlet (usually in stock, but not always) or from Trader Joes.

Miss Wahoo
    Participant

Great Idea, I’ve had similar issues with our two Fred Meyer stores, so it might be a common occurrence in the Kroger family. I’ve noticed both perishable and shelf-stable items just disappear one day, and been given obviously off-the-cuff reasons more often than not. It’s especially annoying when they stop carrying a product, then fill that empty space with something that’s already stocked ten rows across. Some items they’ve begun carrying again, but others probably won’t be unless enough customers ask for them.

QFC should have little forms for requesting an item, or maybe they use comment cards. But I was told by a Fred Meyer customer service employee that the best way to get something “un-discontinued” is to submit a request to the store who stopped carrying it. If getting packaged pastrami back in stock at Art’s QFC is important to you, get some friends to request it too.

Good luck.

great idea
    Participant

thanks Mrs. Wahoo for the first reasonable response to my query. I will investigate the protocol for ‘undiscontinuing’ an item.

as you said, the true frustration lies in the redundancy of other foodstuffs.
    the pre-packaged deli aisle at Holman QFC is like 47 meters long, with Oscar meyer bologna occupying almost 17 square feet alone.

Cate– why do you and others always take me for an old codger?
    and if I was, don’t you think I would be one of the rare, fast ones?

Crownhiller
    Participant

Perhaps, GI, it’s because you do, on occasion, come across as rather…er…”crotchedy”? I always have to laugh at the irony of people complaining about “old people” – barring unforeseen early death, we will all be old one day. And life has a way of throwing curve balls when we least expect it, so even the most fit of us could, thru no fault of our own, be one of the “slow old people” you so callously disparage. I rather prefer the Holman QFC -(except for a particular checker who is always unnecessarily mean-spirited). But then, I’m on the cusp of old, so why wouldn’t I? ;o)

great idea
    Participant

hah! I will wear that ‘crotchety’ badge with honor!

I wasn’t complaining so much about old people, as just stating fact.
    they are slower than other demographics, amirite?

I know there are many exceptions, but I would not be offended if someone told me, “you’ve really slowed down as you’ve aged.” it’s inevitable.

fwiw, I do prefer that store to the one on 24th.
    I don’t notice any more sketchy people. although maybe the sketchier people are a bit older.

pennygirl
    Participant

GI – Did you end up finding your pastrami?

great idea
    Participant

yes, at Safeway.

when I boycott that Holman QFC, I will expect you to stand in the picket line with me.

signs like:
    “the owner is a commie, we want pastrami!”

“to hell with your beets, give us cured meats!”

Miss Wahoo
    Participant

Angeline, I’ve bought GO pastrami or corned beef (usually the cheap, chunky ends) to make Reuben casseroles or corned beef hash, and they were great. I agree, the properly sliced, vac-packed portions are a good option if they have them.

My apologies to Art’s, but QFC doesn’t work well in haiku.

PASTRAMI ON RYE
    MUSTARD SWISS AND SAUERKRAUT
    ART’S WON’T SELL MY MEAT

DAD NEEDS PASTRAMI
    GOTTA DRIVE UP THE HILL NOW
    HEY STOP AT DICK’S FIRST

G.O. PASTRAMI
    SIZE AGE QUALITY VARIES
    JUST CHECK THAT DATE DUDE

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Who knew this thread was about pastrami. Want a good pastrami? Got to the lower east side of NYC

Edog
    Participant

Ugh! And the horse you rode in on New York culinary cliche!

great idea
    Participant

well I, for one, appreciate your poem chef!

especially the way it ends with “date dude” instead of “due date”

Allison W
    Participant

I hit Katz’s last fall.

Mind. Blown.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Yep. Katz’s deli may still be the best!

Life is amazing
    Participant

Yes what is beerated?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.