Incessant helicopter-like noise?

Home Forums Open forum Incessant helicopter-like noise?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Cate 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

LCA
    Participant

Has anyone been bothered by an incessant helicopter-like noise the last couple of days/nights? We’ve been hearing it constantly since Saturday evening (1/11). It sounds like it’s coming from near Fred Meyer, possibly one of the ships docked there? At our house in the middle of the night it sounds like a helicopter is hovering over our house.

Marigold
    Participant

Thanks for posting this, it’s been driving me crazy! I don’t know what it is but I may investigate tonight. It sounds like a massive diesel generator…ship? Short line train? Make it stop!

ronny j
    Participant

It does sound like one of the fishing boats/processors in the neighborhood. Most will sail (if they already haven’t) North this week.

BITOA
    Participant

I can’t hear it over the train whistling all night long? HAHAHA!

LCA
    Participant

After some walking around, I think it’s a generator on the giant Icicle Seafood ship docked by Fred Meyer. A woman at the dock there said it’s being repaired and is running a generator and is hopefully leaving later this week. If you can hear the sound between 10pm – 7am you can report a noise violation. Hopefully they fix the issue or leave soon!

Marigold
    Participant

Rookie question-who do you report a noise violation to? Police non-emergency? It’s been going since last Thursday…I’m going to call, anyone care to join?

wally
    Participant

Call the Noise Group at Seattle DPD.

ronny j
    Participant

You can’t report a noise violation in an industrial area, we all live in one. It’s called a fishing community and Icicle Seafoods, Peter Pan, Trident and many others employ your friends and neighbors. They also provide the tasty fresh seafood available at your best local markets. Get over yourselves or move back to the suburbs from whence you came.

Marigold
    Participant

Actually Ronny J, or should I call you Captain Obvious? Obnoxious noise is obnoxious noise and we all are duty bound to be good neighbors, or at least try.

I’m not from the suburbs, and will never live in one. Bring on the urban density! At least then the noises will be more diverse and bend in a bit more:)

LCA
    Participant

I called 911 to report a noise complaint. The SPD representative who came to our block watch meeting recommended calling 911 anytime you want the police to check something out (suspicious activity, noise, etc., it doesn’t have to just be life/death situations). All 911 calls are prioritized so the noise complaint goes to the bottom of the list but if the noise is annoying to enough people they might actually be able to do something about it.

SunsetHillMarauder
    Participant

I can’t imagine that they’re going to do anything about people complaining about noise on a ship which is going to be leaving for Alaska soon anyways. No matter how you reported it. SPD can barely take care of the actual problem calls like drug deals etc as it is.

phoo
    Participant

It’s SPG watching the progress of the new forums.

Oly
    Participant

Complaining about noise occurring in a maritime industrial area is like complaining about jet noise after you moved next door to SeaTac Int’l.

Marigold
    Participant

Well Floyd, I would argue that this particular noise is a bit exceptional for the area but I only have 14 years of living here to draw on.

I’m willing to believe that this is a one-off and they will do what they can to avoid the same thing from happening again, but I also believe they need to know what their impact is on their neighbors.

Carry on…

Edog
    Participant

There are noise ordinances for industrial areas!!!

SunsetHillMarauder
    Participant

Good news for all the whiners. They’re moving the ship in question out through the locks within the next 30 minutes. So you won’t have to endure any more “incessant helicopter-like noise” tonight.

Mondoman
    Participant

I’m curious to see if that fixes the noise issue. I remember a similar noise a few years ago that someone thought might be coming from the BNSF switching yard behind Fisherman’s Terminal.

ronny j
    Participant

Jesus, now we are annoyed by the trains?!?!?!

great idea
    Participant

I recall a time several years ago when I was kept awake by one of these loud ‘industrial noises.’

it was terribly loud and went on for hours. eventually I gathered my dog and began walking toward the noise so I could determine the source.

it was coming from a large boat docked by the old Yankee Grill. there was some dude on the deck with a power-washer and he was doing some 3 AM cleaning apparently.

I proceeded to go home and vacuum my living room, much to my family’s dismay.

Mondoman
    Participant

ronny, all I was trying to say is that in the quiet wee hours of the morning, sounds carry a long way and it can be really tough to figure out where a sound’s coming from.

I’m just waiting for the first train noise complaint from a person living in the new ginormous apartments off Dravus in Interbay.

Cate
    Participant

I like the sound of the trains at night. My grandparents lived on a hill above the train tracks and I’d lie awake at night listening to them – would miss our Ballard trains if they went away.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.