Key Lime Pie?

Home Forums Open forum Key Lime Pie?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  great idea 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Avocado Head
    Participant

I’ve got a pregnant wife code red situation here.

Anyone got a lead on a nearby maker of really good key lime pies? (Or plan B – roll up my sleeves and get to work)

-Avo

Angeline
    Participant

Key lime pie is VERY EASY. You should just make it yourself. Since it is a code red, clarify with your wife whether she wants graham cracker crust or regular, and whipped cream topping or meringue. If the graham cracker and whipped cream, which is more traditional anyhow, you are golden.

Here is a good recipe: http://www.chow.com/recipes/10450-key-lime-pie
    Or use this one, which you don’t even have to bake: http://www.laurainthekitchen.com/recipes/no-bake-key-lime-pie/. But substitute real whipped cream for the whipped topping.

I like to put the whipped cream over the whole pie, not just in little globs like in the picture. Or top with meringue even if it is less traditional.

It really is not as good to use regular pie crust, but if that is the way the craving leans, I recommend using Trader Joe’s frozen. Bake it before you put in the filling even though you will bake it a little longer once filled.

Cate
    Participant

The recipe on the back of Nellie’s and Joe’s Key Lime Juice works in a pinch, but this is better (only skip the sour cream and use a lot of unsweetened whipped cream instead and increase the lime zest to two tablespoons and really one egg plus two egg yolks works better then two eggs…)
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/key-lime-pie-recipe.html

plasticbags
    Participant

The Edwards key lime pie in the frozen section is surprisingly tasty. They sell them in individual slices and I like the texture of them frozen. I never cared for super soft key lime pie.

Avocado Head
    Participant

OK, I think I am going to try my hand at making one! (I’ll get double Husband Points if I do…)

Thanks all, and wish me luck! (Luck that this is still what she is craving by tonight, lol…)

-Avo

Salidali
    Participant

A La Mode pies in Phinney Ridge on Greenwood has THE BEST Key Lime pie EVER.

Avocado Head
    Participant

Salidali – Thanks!! If I hadn;t just squeezed the juice out of 40 very small limes I would be on that. Next time!

-Avo

Angeline
    Participant

I should have added that I can’t tell the difference between regular limes and tiny key limes except how much more work the small ones are. But maybe your wife can tell! Anyway, she can see how hard you are working for her!

great idea
    Participant

I was thinking the same Angeline.

I have made scores of ‘key lime’ pies, but maybe only once or twice have I used actual key limes which were not discernible in the finished product.

Avo– leave those forty rinds lying around for full credit.

Cate
    Participant

I can’t tell the difference either but my Southern friends can (and were shocked when I served them Key Lime pie that wasn’t the real deal). Of course they can’t tell the difference between Coho and Silver salmon and I can.

So did you go with the graham cracker or pastry crust? Meringue or whipped cream? We are invested in this now.

Avocado Head
    Participant

LOL!

I did a graham cracker crust, “key” limes, and I actually did a topping of sour cream and powdered sugar (Emeril’s recipe…) And I artfully arranged the lime rinds on the top of our compost bin, lol.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/key-lime-pie-recipe.html

The wife was totally happy and surprised, and loved it. My only booboo was spread the crust a little too thin at edge of pyrex pie dish, and outer edges almost burnt, but not too bad.

Have to come up with a cocktail for myself with the remaining limes. We need some Margarita weather like Monday again…

-Avo

Angeline
    Participant

Just saw the weather forecast. I think “Hurricane” cocktails might be appropriate, and they take limes. Storm’s a’brewin.

On the rocks:
    One part dark rum
    One part white rum
    Half part over proofed rum
    passion fruit syrup
    lime juice

great idea
    Participant

that sour cream & powdered sugar topping sound really good.

I grew up in a household where we ate lots of sour cream for some reason.
    sometimes in savory dishes, other times w/ powdered sugar and a bowl of fresh berries.

it may not be margarita weather, but I do think the key lime pie is more of a wintertime pie.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement